OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Hog Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPHNC52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Hog Rifle
    Posted: March/25/2014 at 09:33
New member here and have a question for the scope gurus. First off I have bought several scopes from SWFA and usually know what I want, but not so sure this time. I'm looking for a scope with an illuminated reticle to go on a Model 700 in .308 for hog hunting at night. Here in N.C. we can hunt hogs 24hrs/day and we use the Elusive Wildlife green "kill lights" under our feeders with great success. We have our gun stands 100 yards +/- from our feeders. At this time, I have a Bushnell 6500 2.5-16 scope on this particular rifle and it works good, but you have to let the hog get under the light just right before you can see the crosshairs to make your shot, and a pig usually won't stand still very long if at all. I'm looking at the Leupold VX-R 4-12X50 w/ Firedot Duplex for this application. How does this scope compare to the other Leupold models? Do you think this would be a good choice or would you suggest a different scope? Thanks for any help on this selection.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2014 at 10:00
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

I think your on the right path with the VX-R. Not sure how the $-12x stacks up, but I really like my 3-9x Firedot Duplex. I probably would opt for the Firedot #4 if I had it to do over to hunt in the brier patches of NC. 

But as McClintock would say..."Let's get to the rat killin". How much are you willing to spend on this endeavor?  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2014 at 10:26
good scope, you would be happy with it
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2014 at 10:37
I have to echo the consensus so far. The Leupold VX-R scopes are very nice, with good illumination and good optics. Excellent scope for the money! I think you'll be happy with it.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2014 at 10:57
The Leupold VX=R Hog is a very nice hog hunting scope.  I almost purchased one once, but went with an Aimpoint Hunter instead.  Don't regret the choice, but still may end up with a "Hog" someday.  The "Hog" is one of the better Leupold products I've seen in a while.  Give a good design engineer some requirements and some freedom and he will usually come up with something pretty good.  Leupold needs to do more of that...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2014 at 11:52
Ya....this forum just loves to hate Leupold.
Or so they say.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2014 at 13:56
for night hunting.... I usually think of Trijicon...   but they are a fair amount more $$ than the aforementioned VX-R.

Keep us informed of what you get... and report back on your results if you'd be so kind.
take em!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2014 at 14:25

Another option might be a laser designator, I have used them on hogs and been mostly happy with the results.  I hunt hogs in open areas so distances are seldom if ever exactly 100 yards, that is a big advantage.

I haven't used the Leupold so will not comment.  Trijicon, as mentioned, is a great low light option, especially at a fixed distance.

Hogs need kill'in, stop talking about getting a scope and get one!

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2014 at 14:38
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Hogs need kill'in, stop talking about getting a scope and get one!

+1000
But don't wait for the scope. Go out and kill 'em with whatever you have right now, even if it's with an iron-sighted .22 (choot 'em in the ear) and think about how much better it will be when you do get the perfect rifle/scope setup.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
DPHNC52 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPHNC52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2014 at 16:10

I think I have pretty much decided on the VX-R, now I'm trying to decide on the 3-9X50 or the 4-12X50.We are already killing a bunch of the hogs, but it's getting harder and harder for me to get the black crosshairs on a black hog's head when they're moving around under the feeder in the middle of the night, even with the kill lights. Age has surely caught up with me. I'm sure the Firedot Duplex would be a huge help. Thanks for the help so far and any more suggestions or ideas are welcome.

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2014 at 16:25
Since you are aquainted with the ElusiveWidlife products check out the XLR 250 green shooting light. It mounts alongside the scope. The 250 yard light does a good job lighting up the game. With the green light it is no problem to see the reticle. And as you know the green is less likely to spook the hogs.
 Welcome to the OT.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2014 at 16:38
I never even seen a wild hog... let along hunted them....  does a regular spot light spook them?
take em!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2014 at 16:56
Originally posted by DPHNC52 DPHNC52 wrote:

I think I have pretty much decided on the VX-R, now I'm trying to decide on the 3-9X50 or the 4-12X50.We are already killing a bunch of the hogs, but it's getting harder and harder for me to get the black crosshairs on a black hog's head when they're moving around under the feeder in the middle of the night, even with the kill lights. Age has surely caught up with me. I'm sure the Firedot Duplex would be a huge help. Thanks for the help so far and any more suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Where do you hunt at? Eastern Carolina? 
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2014 at 17:50
Hogs are color blind to the green light.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
DPHNC52 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPHNC52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2014 at 07:06
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Where do you hunt at? Eastern Carolina? 

Anson and Union County in N.C., and Chesterfield County, S.C.

DPHNC52 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPHNC52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2014 at 07:14

Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

I never even seen a wild hog... let along hunted them....  does a regular spot light spook them?

Yes, a regular spotlight will spook them. If you don't have them in your area, count yourself lucky. They're a lot of fun to hunt and shoot and are good eating but they are the most destructive creatures to agriculture I've ever seen. They have run some of the produce farmers in the area out of business.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2014 at 07:53

Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Yes, a regular spotlight will spook them. If you don't have them in your area, count yourself lucky. They're a lot of fun to hunt and shoot and are good eating but they are the most destructive creatures to agriculture I've ever seen. They have run some of the produce farmers in the area out of business.

Really? I had no idea that hogs were that prevalent here. Especially in those NC Co you mentioned. I've seen them in and around York Co. SC when I lived there, but they were few and far between. I've never seen a wild pig where I live in Gaston Co. 

However, I have seen the all out assault they have going on in The Lone Star Star state and let me tell you...it's BAD. 

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2014 at 10:44
We have a few places here at the coast that have them bad too CT, mostly on the swamp and river edges though, they tend to stick close to water here for some reason.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2014 at 10:55
Oh I believe the poster and you, Graham that they are around, but I have a few buddies out in rural Union Co. and they haven't mentioned seeing a lot of hogs at their place. Both are outside of Monroe, NC. 

I've yet to see destruction from hogs like I witnessed in TX. Whew....it looked like a B-52 strike took place there.  

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2014 at 11:08
as far as I know........  no ferral hogs running loose in this neck of the woods!   And with upwards of $7 a bushell corn....  don't see them getting started either!

That same bushell of corn has pretty much squashed the pheasant population as well.   Have lots of family in farming.... so glad for them.  But I sure do miss the ring-necks!!
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic