OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Optic advice for .308 AR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MightyMaten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Optic advice for .308 AR
    Posted: March/20/2014 at 04:41
I have a .308 Maten with a 16" rainier arms ultra match barrel and I need an optic that is good for CQB/HD as well as extended range and punching paper, with illumination. Daytime isn't important as long as the reticle is bold.

I've been looking at a bunch of options; SWFA SS HD 1-6, Vortex HD G2 1-6, Leupold MK6 CMR, NF 1-4x, etc I just cant decide on which one will serve me best for the above needs and its kind of turning into an obsession... Whacko I need some optics expert expertise here... 

Maybe there's some options I haven't considered? 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2014 at 07:54
If you aren't big on turret spinning I am a fan of the Sightron SIII 1-7.  Glass is decent but its not set up to dial in like the SS or others listed. 

Sightron 1-7x24 SIII 30mm Riflescope Sightron 1-7x24 SIII 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SIII17X24IR4A
  • Matte
  • 30mm
  • Illuminated 7A Reticle
$799.95 
Sightron 1-7x24 SIII 30mm Riflescope Sightron 1-7x24 SIII 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SIII17X24IRMOA
  • Matte
  • 30mm
  • Illuminated MOA-4 Reticle
$799.95 
If you like to dial in the SS1-6 gets my vote, proven to be a good choice and the illumination is well executed. Glass is great and cost is good to.  SWFA scopes typically compete with scopes costing much much more as they are a direct dealer, no middle man mark up. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2014 at 10:17
Your first 2 picks are the best picks IMHO. The SWFA SS 1-6 is a FFP reticle and the reticle is well designed. The Vortex HD G2 1-6 is a SFP reticle with daylight bright illumination if you prefer a SFP scope. Both have great glass for the dollar.  
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
MightyMaten View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MightyMaten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2014 at 16:06
Has anyone compared the SS 1-6 and Razor HD2 1-6 head to head? I really like them both, from pictures I've seen the razor's FOV looks amazing and the tube almost disappears at 1x. 

Generally I would prefer SFP in a low variable, but the SS does FFP so well its a non factor. 

I think it really comes down to these two for me. Even though I don't need daytime bright illumination, the razor is quite impressive in that department. Then again, the huge bold reticle of the SS 1-6 kind of negates the need for a daylight bright dot (IMO).

If I get the vortex, I would likely choose the newer model with the MRAD reticle (don't care much for a BDC ret.) Anyone have experience with this model yet?
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2014 at 09:13

Comparing the SS1-6 to the Razor 1-6 is like comparing apples to oranges. The SS has a FFP reticle and the Razor has a SFP reticle, it just depends on which one you prefer.

In theory I prefer the FFP, as it is more versatile with the FFP reticle. My problem is my eyes; on low powers my eyes have to be in the correct position for the reticle to appear focused, and even though this isn't a big issue at close ranges for either reticle, it bothers me. Not everyone has this issue, but since it bothers me I prefer SFP scopes that go below 3x. I generally prefer FFP scopes 3x or greater.

Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2014 at 22:51
How about an ACOG?

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
MightyMaten View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MightyMaten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2014 at 06:34
Decided to go with the vortex for now. The huge FOV sold me on this optic. I still like the circle/crosshair reticle of the SSHD and how it works in FFP. I'll likely get one later down the line for another rifle (variety and all. Big Grin), maybe the next black friday sale. 

Urimaginaryfrnd, I actually was using an ACOG (TA11C) on my Maten before and it is a great optic, but the donut reticle left a lot to be desired for precision aiming. I contemplated trading it for the cross hair model, but at the same time the other drawback of the ACOG is the reticle washout at night with ambient lighting. And even though it does go black with enough ambient light, there is that twilight phase were the illumination is still there-just enough to keep from fading to black and it almost seems to disappear, I don't like that.

For only day light shooting though, I LOVE the ACOG. Very forgiving eye relief, eye box, and fast! I'm just hoping I will get all of that and more in the Razor G2.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2014 at 11:43
I think you made a good choice, but then again, you didn't have a bad list to choose from either.Thunbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic