OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What's similar to the minox za3/conquest?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lackskill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's similar to the minox za3/conquest?
    Posted: March/17/2014 at 23:25
I like the elk rifle I put together last year, I want another one. The elk gun is a tikka t3 lite in 7 mag with a minox za3 3-9x40 #4 reticle.

I'm going to pick up another t3 lite, in .243 for a deer rifle, and I'd love a similar, or even the same scope, but I'm having trouble finding a comparable product at a comparable price. Any suggestions?
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2014 at 08:38
take em!
lackskill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lackskill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2014 at 10:50
Gotta be a #4 reticle, otherwise I'd already own that.

So far I've found the meopro. I always like at least one other solid option before I make a decision.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2014 at 11:10
Leupy VX-R 3-9 X 40 with the Firedot 4??? !!!
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
lackskill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lackskill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2014 at 12:49
Here's where I start sounding picky. Lol.

I can't use an illuminated reticle for hunting and don't want to pay for it, nor do I want the game warden hassle for having one in the field.

I just want a 3-9 with a reasonable objective size, decent glass, sturdy construction, and no gimmicks.

Great, now I sound like my grandpa. :)
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2014 at 14:03
OK, try a Leupy VX-3 1.5-5 X 20 with the German #4 reticle. Or get a Custom Shop reticle change in another Leupy.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2014 at 15:06
The Meopro. Great scope!
-Matt
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2014 at 15:49
The new Minox ZA5 HD with German 4A,or the new made in Germany ZE5i.I just purchased a 2-10x50 Illum. made in Germany & it's in the same ball park as my S&B Zenith scopes!Mine is with the 4A & the digital red dot is terrific.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
lackskill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lackskill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2014 at 17:47
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

OK, try a Leupy VX-3 1.5-5 X 20 with the German #4 reticle. Or get a Custom Shop reticle change in another Leupy.

I'll look into the custom shop reticle.  The VX3 is always on my radar.
lackskill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lackskill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2014 at 17:50
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

The new Minox ZA5 HD with German 4A,or the new made in Germany ZE5i.I just purchased a 2-10x50 Illum. made in Germany & it's in the same ball park as my S&B Zenith scopes!Mine is with the 4A & the digital red dot is terrific.

Have the 5x erectors gotten any better?  The last I checked, there were some design compromises that had to be made that I wasn't fond of.  Can't remember the specifics right now, but the ZA5 was on my short list last year and I ruled it out because of the erector compromises.  I wanted to like it and if I didn't do my homework, I would have bought it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2014 at 21:57
I'm not sure about the assembled in the USA scopes as I haven't seen one yet but the German made are in another class above the old Z5's.I had 3 different Z5's & I hated the turrets on all of them,they always seemed mushy.The new turrets are tight & with a little audible click.Great warrenty & come in a wooden box[very classy]
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2014 at 08:51
I'd take a 1" Meopta over a Minox any day of the week. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2014 at 13:50
I've compared my Meopta ZR5 tactical 1-4 x22  to my German made Minox 2-10x50 & they are close but the Minox edges the Meopta out by a hair.I do like the Meopta scopes, is a matter of fact I just purchased a  Meopta S2 spotting scope from SWFA,should be here tomorrow! 

JG can you tell me how you came up with your choice & did you compare the 2 scopes side by side?I'm not trying to turn this into a pissing contest just saying everyone has their opinion so there is no right or wrong just a personal preference.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2014 at 16:46
I had a hunter show up for a hog hunt with a Minox Z5, ZA5, or whatever its called.  I think it was a 2-10x40/42mm....don't remember exactly.  I didn't care for the duplex reticle, the eye relief, or the turrets.  There was some tunneling apparent to me as well.   It was better than the Z3 IIRC, which I thought was terrible, Chinese turrets and all.  Meopta makes solid stuff, and you're gonna freaking love that S2.  I've got one, had it side by side with my Kowa 884, and the S2 will hold it's own and then some, especially at higher mags.  

The rifle scope thing is probably more personal preference though.  
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2014 at 12:47
meopta 3-9x42 with #4
MeoptaSurujh View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeoptaSurujh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2014 at 04:10
Meopta MeoPro 3-9x42 or MeoPro 3.5-10x44 with #4
Yes I work for Meopta, but I am not here to sell Meopta. Just answering questions and providing reasonable insight.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2014 at 10:29
Does all this mean that my Minox ZA3 is as good as a Meopta or a Conquest?   Stare
Visit the Ed Show

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2014 at 13:15
Laugh Above Roll on Floor Laughing
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic