OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

7mm-08 load question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7mm-08 load question
    Posted: March/17/2014 at 18:32
I worked up a load for my Remington 700 in 7mm-08 using Varget and 140 grain Accubonds. The most accurate load was 40.3 grains and when I chronograph end the load today, the average velocity was 2,569 ft/s. With this velocity be acceptable for deer hunting at a max range of 200 yards or should I look at a different powder?
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2014 at 20:40
That's plenty for deer at 200yds.  I've killed deer and 200lb hogs at over 200yds with my 120gr Barnes TSX out of my 7mm-08 Encore handgun at about that velocity (it has the 15" barrel).  You'll be fine with that load, though it does seem a little slow for a full-length barrel.  I would guess you'd be getting closer to 2750-2800 with Varget with good accuracy.  Might try different seating depths with max charge -5%.  Best bet is to get the hornady lock-n-load OAL gauge - formerly known as the Stoney Point OAL gauge - then play with seating depth back from the lands.  Good luck.  IMO, 7mm-08 is the best whitetail cartridge available off the shelf.

Deck
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2014 at 20:44
Another consideration - the accubonds is a really tough bullet for whitetail at 200yds.  Out to that distance you might do better with a partition or other premium bullet, or even a cup and core bullet like the Hornady interlock.  It's long also but the ogive is really shallow, so more bullet goes into the barrel before the bullet meets the lands.  The accubonds are really long for weight, and take up powder capacity.  The partitions may be a better choice for you.  TTSX are long also, but they seem to fly well for me even with a compressed charge.  As a matter of fact, my handgun likes them as fast as possible because of the short barrel (but I don't have to worry as much about barrel harmonics due to the length).  There are some other premium bullets that aren't as long also - you should check them out unless you're dead-set on accubonds.  Just another $0.02.  Worth what you paid.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2014 at 23:06
You will be fine, and the accubond should upset nicely at your impact velocity at 200 yards.

However, I load a lot for the 7-08 and really like Winchester 760 with 140 grain bullets.  If you are looking at trying another powder, I would start there.

-Matt
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2014 at 06:15

When I conducted testing, the greater the powder charge the larger the group.  At 40.3 grains it put five shots into a very small hole.  I have had good experiences with Accubonds in my 308 out to about 250 on Southern Whitetail, so I thought I would try them in my 7mm-08. 

I can't find W760 locally or online at the moment but I do have some CFE223 that I am going to try, it is a little slower than Varget on Hodgdon's burn rate chart and may give me a little more velocity.  Thanks for the help, worse comes to worse, I can use the 40.3 Varget load, but I would like a little more velocity.  This just gives me a good excuse to hit the range several more time.

I do have the Hornady OAL gauge, but this is a Remington rifle with a long throat, so there will be a jump unless I single load.

If the Accubonds will not give me what I want in terms of velocity and accuracy, I have the 139 grain Hornady BTSP that I can try.  Half the fun is finding a good load.

Edited by cpwomack - March/18/2014 at 16:15
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2014 at 08:20
I totally agree.  In the 139-140gr range, the hornady's gave me the best accuracy.  If you want the premium bullet, the interbond should perform well for you.  Good luck, and glad I can be an excuse for someone else to get to the range.  My encore shoots better than my featherweight new M70 in 7mm-08.  That thin barrel is going to be finicky I can tell.  I'm going to have to sit down and do some head-scratching on it for sure, though I was hoping to find a load that shoots reasonably accurate in both.  Not in the cards.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2014 at 08:58
Not sure what powders are available in your area, but I've had great luck with 140 accubonds in my 7-08.  Load up to:  46g IMR 4350, 47.5g Big Game.  A 120 nosler ballistic tip is also great for whitetails, and that particular bt is very tough, unlike the first generation of 120 BT's.  For this try up to 45.5g Varget.  I've killed lots of deer and pigs with that combo as well. 
scrub buck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrub buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2014 at 10:38
4350, H414, RL17... all good choices. Seems to me your leaving 3 or 400 fps on the table. I'd not be happy with that load just because it's accurate .
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2014 at 11:02
You should be getting at least 2800 or so with good precision. Start out with your bullet ogive just touching the lands. Work back away from the lands if kissing doesn't give you satisfactory accuracy. Don't jam into the lands, as you want reliable hunting ammo.

Try RL15, starting out at around 39 gr and work up to about 42 gr. from there, stopping when you see pressure signs or you hit about 2850, whichever comes first.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2014 at 11:04
I loaded up some of the 140 grain Accubonds with CFE 223 to try and was able to pick up a pound of IMR4350 to try.  Nosler's data shows Ramshot Big Game as the most accurate, but that powder is impossible to find.  If I can't get the Noslers's to work with CFE223 or IMR4350 I will try the Hornady's, they work fine on the small bodied deer we have in Tennessee.  Thanks again, will post my results.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2014 at 11:10
Take Nosler's "most accurate powder tested" recommendations with a grain of salt. They test their loads in specialized pressure test rigs with barrel lengths and rifling twists that may differ widely from what you have. Your results and theirs will seldom be the same.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2014 at 11:18
Thanks for the info Ted, with my Remington I cannot get anywhere near the lands and still feed from the internal box magazine.  I will have to look back at my data, but this rifle has a long throat.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2014 at 11:41
Understand. That's often the case with factory rifles.
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2014 at 15:18
By the way... happy birthday, Caleb!!!
Ted

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2014 at 17:33
Rifle has good advice.  Scoot 'em out there as far as the mag box will allow and work up, especially with that I4350.  In my T3 I believe max OAL was 2.804 and I got up to 46.5 grains and 2815fps.  If you do come across Big Game, which my rifle also loves, try it with mag primers instead of LR.  For some reason the mag primers will sometimes really tighten things up with ball powders like BG.  
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2014 at 18:06
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

For some reason the mag primers will sometimes really tighten things up with ball powders like BG.  

I have noticed this too with ball powders, JG, and not just with 7-08.

Good info.
-Matt
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2014 at 23:16
I always used mag primers in my 7-08 with Imr4350. Used that powder with Hornady 162s and Sierra 140 gamekings. Sure wish Hornady was still making the 162s... I wouldn't be building a 6.5 Creedmore!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2014 at 10:23
Good info, thanks.  The CFE 223 I am trying is a ball powder, so we will see how it does with the CCI 200's I am using.  I will keep an eye out for magnum primers.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2014 at 07:55
Originally posted by cpwomack cpwomack wrote:

Good info, thanks.  The CFE 223 I am trying is a ball powder, so we will see how it does with the CCI 200's I am using.  I will keep an eye out for magnum primers.

im sure you are aware of this, but for my piece of mind, be damn careful when using those magnum primers!!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2014 at 13:08
I have never ventured into the world of magnum primers in non-magnum calibers so if I do go this route I will be extremely careful.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic