OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scoping a 700 5R

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porkchop88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scoping a 700 5R
    Posted: March/15/2014 at 13:26
Alright I have a Remington 700 5R 20in with a 6-24x50 Vortex Viper PST on it which is a little to much for its use. Im overkill at times. But I recently purchased the new Remington 700 Long Range in 300WM so Im swapping the PST over to that rifle with a TPS base & rings. So now Im on the prowl for a new scope for the 5R. Its main use is on the range 100 to 300 as far as my range goes out but do have a few options with 500-700 yds for shooting steel. Here are few of my options. MOA or MRAD is fine. Still leaning towards the SS 3-15 for FFP

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P62238.aspx

http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-16x44-Viper-HS-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P48285.aspx

http://swfa.com/Vortex-25-10x44-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44567.aspx

http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-16x50-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44565.aspx
DesertDog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2014 at 14:12

I recently purchased the SWFA 5x20x50 with HD glass. Mil/Mil.

I've looked thru some pretty expensive glass in my time, and I have to say, just my opinion, but the SWFA will stand up to scopes twice it's price. It's rugged as they come, and with a full 30 mils both in elevation and windage, the scope can be adjusted for shots a lot further than I can shoot, or my rifle is capable of accurately landing.

I'm not saying that any of the other scopes you're looking at aren't quality... I'm only saying for the features, and price, you'd be hard pressed to find a better scope...

Hello..... I see the assassins have failed.....
Porkchop88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porkchop88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2014 at 14:22
I wish I had the budget for the 5-20 right now. I have SS16x just for an extra laying in the safe but I like variable powers on rifles that might see the deer stand. But I have had nothing but good luck out of the 3 Vortex products I own so Im still on the fence. I like the PST for the illumination but the others for magnification and the SS 3-15 for FFP. 
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2014 at 15:54
If you don't need the magnification, how about the 3-9 SS FFP?

-Matt
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porkchop88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2014 at 16:36
Its also an option I just think I would like the 3-15 better but what would be the advantage of the 3-9 over the 3-15?
DesertDog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2014 at 17:45

Porkchop....

Looking at and comparing the two, the (3x9) and (3x15), I can see a couple of distinct advantages over the 3x9.

First, the 3x15 has the parallax (side focus), the 3x9 does not. 2nd, while the 3x9 is a reasonable amount of power, having that extra 6 power would come in awfully handy if you should decide that you'd like to shoot in excess of say 500 yards..

Both have a minimum power of 3x, so in close area hunting applications, both would have the same advantage of getting down to a power than you could use for closer ranges...

Both are FFP, so nothing to discuss there. All in all, except for the $100 difference in price, my choice would be to go with the 3x15.

The only other consideration IMO, would be the glass... If getting down to lower power for close in ranges was not going to be an issue, then at that point I might probably consider the straight 10x42 with the HD glass. Another $100, but the clarity in the glass would be well worth it....

Food for thought I guess....

Hello..... I see the assassins have failed.....
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2014 at 18:05
SS 3-15. You won't be sorry. SS 3-9 is a really nice scope, but the 3-15 suits the all -around, do everything role better.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2014 at 18:20
Geez, sorry for mentioning it.

Smile

My thought was that the OP would get the nicer turrets, and it seems like he was trying to simplify.  Parallax adjustment is hardly necessary for shooting paper to 300 and steel to 600.  

Also in FFP designs it seems lower-ratio scopes handle the FFP a little better, not getting as thin at the bottom or as thick at the top.

Just throwing it out there.

I am certain either would suit the uses.
-Matt
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porkchop88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2014 at 19:20
Thanks for the input guys. I think yall talked me into it. I was leaning hard that way before hand but now its a done deal. Also have any of you used the zero stop setup for the 3-15? 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2014 at 15:09
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Geez, sorry for mentioning it.

Smile

My thought was that the OP would get the nicer turrets, and it seems like he was trying to simplify.  Parallax adjustment is hardly necessary for shooting paper to 300 and steel to 600.  

Also in FFP designs it seems lower-ratio scopes handle the FFP a little better, not getting as thin at the bottom or as thick at the top.

Just throwing it out there.

I am certain either would suit the uses.

I haven't fooled with the 3-15x SS, but I too love my SS 3-9x. Good commentary, as usual, BB. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2014 at 17:48
You were well justified in mentioning the SS 3-9X42, BB, and your reasoning is very sound. The OP can't go wrong in choosing it. It's a fantastic scope, especially for the money. In fact, I borrowed Mark's copy for several months and loved it. I totally understand the KISS principle and I agree the turrets are a little better on the 3-9. OTOH, I just thought having the 5:1 zoom ratio and parallax adjustment was a good deal for only $100 more, given both are available with the excellent MilQuad reticle and what appeared to me to be the same image quality. He'd still have 3X on the bottom end, yet significantly greater magnification on the top end if he ever decides to air it out more.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic