OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best low-light Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuntry_kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best low-light Scope
    Posted: March/12/2014 at 16:42
Hi all!

I have been doing some research on a new scope and came across this site.  I have read a lot of good reviews/opinions/comparisons, but not necessarily strictly about low-light capability (my search skills may have failed me).

I am military stationed in Germany finally getting to hunt out here.  I just bought a .308 and looking for a low-light scope.  We are not allowed to use lights/night vision/thermal/IR to hunt hogs at night. It is a matter of using moon light and light background for silhouetting.  

That being said I am looking for the best low-light scope for $1500 or less.  I was looking at the Leopold VX-3L 4.5-14x56 Illum B&C, but would like some assistance from more experienced folks before making such an expensive purchase.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

More info on the firearm if it helps:
BRNO A.S. VZ. 24, .308  -  this is not an old WWII version it is still a Mod98, but manuf in 2000 and has a modern hunting stock.  I bought it used.  It appears to be in mint condition with perfect rifling.   (I am going to open a topic under rifles if you have any info about this rifle you would like to share because I cannot find anything at all)
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2014 at 18:56
Welcome to the OT!

If you are in Germany,I would look at the Zeiss.I think the best low light would be the Trijicons but I don't know if they would export.I have several Leica products all with good illum.

Are you US military?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2014 at 19:02
-Matt
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2014 at 20:01

Your best low light optics are going to be the high end scopes, Zeiss, Schmidt&Bender, Swarovski, IOR and a few others. This is because of their lens coating and top of the market glass. Since your primary interest is night hunting you won't need the higher power scopes and this will help keep the cost down. I like Leupold but I don't think you'll find one with the light transfer and clarity that those listed will offer. I have a Leupold that I like a lot but if I had not had my 300Wm with the Zeiss DL Victory the trophy deer I took this yr would still be on the hoof. Last minute of legal day light and the Zeiss gave me what the Leupold couldn't. Koshkin and some others can give you the specifics on the inner workings of most scopes and why super large objectives don't necessarily make a scope transfer light.  Good luck in your search, Let us know what you get.

Welcome to the OT.

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
kuntry_kid View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuntry_kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2014 at 00:52
Thank you for all the comments. 

To answer stickbow, I am US military.

There are several US companies that will ship scopes to me.

I started looking at Leupold because one of the US hunter I met that has hunted here for 10 years said he has owned most of the EU brands and none of them have come close to Leupold.

After reading through other threads and the comments above I have seen a trend not representing the same.  He tried to push me away from Zeiss because o fissue he had with his, but I think it is a garbage brand like he is portraying just because of one possibly bad lemon.  I also don't know how he treats his equipment and other factors.

Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

Since your primary interest is night hunting you won't need the higher power scopes and this will help keep the cost down. 

I wont primarily be night hunting necessarily.  I am just going for one that does well at night and figure if it is great in low-light it should be great at any time of day.  

I put in for a trophy fallow deer hunt this fall.  and I don't want a poor choice of optics keeping from that trophy on the wall.

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2014 at 05:27
Your rifle is manufactured by Musgrave in Bloemfontein, South Africa.  
Visit the Ed Show
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2014 at 08:55
check out Trijicon accupoint series. The illuminated reticle will help alot.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2014 at 09:40
The BEST low light scope comes from where you are... Hensoldt 6-24x72.  There is nothing that compares with it in low light capability... or much else.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2014 at 11:40
Indeed it is ... but not for the OP's budget of $1500 or less.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuntry_kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2014 at 16:00
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

Indeed it is ... but not for the OP's budget of $1500 or less.

Ditto
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2014 at 19:00

You said the best, it is the best...  you can get a Zeiss Diavari off the samplelist that will meet your price figure and it will be very good in low light, perhaps the best for your dollar figure. 

Considerations were made in the design of the Hensoldt and its coatings to maximize performance in low light... it does...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2014 at 19:25
Maybe a nice fat Meopta will be a good choice!!   Smile
Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2014 at 00:26
Definitely the new R2 line should be a good candidate...

stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2014 at 06:10
kuntry-kid Thank you for your service!Excellent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuntry_kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2014 at 14:17
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

kuntry-kid Thank you for your service!Excellent

It's a privilege and an honor.  Thank you for your support!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuntry_kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2014 at 14:24
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Definitely the new R2 line should be a good candidate...

I have been looking at the MeoStar R2 RD 2,5-15x56.  I should be able to get it for under $1500 here.  Well if the dollar stops losing exchange value with the euro.....
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuntry_kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2014 at 14:41
This one also looks nice and states it is designed for low light conditions.

Meopta ZD 6-24x56 RD
MeoptaSurujh View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeoptaSurujh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2014 at 09:05
If you are going to weigh the low-light performance and overall light transmission, then the MeoStar R2 2.5-15x56 will edge out the ZD 6-24x56.  The 6-24x56 has side-parallax and exposed target turrrets, but the transmission is better in the R2 by 2-3% overall.
Yes I work for Meopta, but I am not here to sell Meopta. Just answering questions and providing reasonable insight.
verminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2014 at 13:16
if your using high mags go with the ZD the R2 has no PA Shocked tried them both at the shooting show. this is also excellent and should fall within your budget..I.O.R .4-14x50 30mm SFP SF MIL/MIL Tactical Scope Illuminated MP-8 Dot reticle Excellent
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuntry_kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2014 at 13:48
I have not abandoned my thread.  Just been taking in suggestions and doing research.

I finally ordered a scope a few days ago.  I went with the Meopta MeoStar R2 2.5-15x56.  

This is the first scope I have bought that cost more than $300.  I am anxious to get it on the rifle and hit the range!Cool
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic