OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Could I have done better than this scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sofasurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Could I have done better than this scope?
    Posted: March/09/2014 at 01:45

I purchased a barska 3-9x40 model AC10634. The guy at Gander Mountain told me it was a real popular scope and decent quality. However, I am getting lots of insults on the internet from people who say I bought a piece of garbage. Funny thing is that nobody will tell me what is the problem with a barska scope. I can not afford over a hundred dollars for an American scope that gets by on the name. This scope has a seemingly quite clear and brite optic. I like the reticle and it is easy to see. It is sealed and I am told it is nitrogen filled. Only thing I do not like iss that the dust cover (clear, I like that) are attached with elestic.
Tell me, could I have done better? And is my scope really that bad?

Please do not post links to competitor websites.  Please reread and follow the rules you agreed to when you became a member. 

Welcome to Optics Talk.

Edited by Kickboxer - March/09/2014 at 09:02
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2014 at 05:19
Barska is ok for some usages.... maybe. It is inexpensive Chinese construction and, with optics, you get what you pay for. Your biggest mistake was going to GM and listening to their folks. Next time, buy at S.W.F.A. and get your direction from the good folks there.

BTW, welcome to the OT Forums.  Excellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
sofasurfer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sofasurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2014 at 06:05
Whats S.W.F.A.?
I have a 30 day return policy.
6\250\40 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6\250\40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2014 at 06:14
  Welcome to OT, sofasurfer.  SWFA is the host of this forum, and an optics retailer.  They also design and market SS scopes. Their pricing, customer service, etc. is unbeatable.   Look at SWFA.com or riflescopes.com
"You'll learn a helluva lot more listenin' than you will talkin'"   My Dad
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2014 at 07:54
There is not one consistent or specific problem with BARSKA, other than consistent good preformance is rare. BARSKA is subbed out with low quality control to many different manufacturers. There is the scope that will arrive with good performance. Others arrive with foggy optics, fuzzy view, tunnel vision, loose inconsistant reticles, weak turrets, miss marked, poor low light performance. and sometimes Quality deficient enough to just fall apart. Then again less than often, you may find the good one. If all you got was a 30 day warranty, then even the maker has little faith in the product. Before you buy again look thru several scopes side by side. Preferably near dusk and outside of the store. This is when the better scopes stand out. A good rule of thumb is the more you pay the better the scope. Welcome to the OT. Hang around you can learn a lot. Don't miss out on SWFA's SAMPLELIST.COM. This is where fantastic values can be found.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2014 at 09:53
Your scope will be fine, unless you actually fire the weapon it is attached to. And whatever you do, do not ever look through a scope made by anyone else.

In all honesty, even Barska turns out a decent scope. The problem is for how long? I don't normally suffer from an excess of cash laying around, but I have learned that it is better to go without, than to spend money on less than quality gear.

What rifle are needing the scope for? We might he able to suggest one for less than you think, that will be better in the long run.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2014 at 11:04
I had 2 of them, one windage quit working, the other, the elevation dial kept falling off. Sent them both back to barska, and never heard from them again. I caughed it up to experience after calling them for 6 months and they would tell me they would be shipping next week. Next week never came. Trust me guy, save some cash, trade in your barska on the sample list, and buy your self a $99 3-9X40 sightron SI.You will be glad you did.

Dave
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2014 at 11:48
SPL16889 Pentax 3-9x40 Gameseeker III Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view 89732, Matte, Precision Plex, 1"
$79.95
SPL19251 Pentax 3-9x40 Gameseeker Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view 89711, Matte, Precision Plex, 1"
$79.95
SPL19900

Pentax 3-9x40 Whitetail Unlimited Rifle Scope DEMO-C

Better than average value.

Click to view 89548, Gloss, Twilight Plex, 1"
$149.95
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
sofasurfer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sofasurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2014 at 22:21
Thanks for all your info. I will consider all your comments.

The gun I bought this for was a AR-15-S&W M&P15 223/5.56.

I had a cheap red dot on it which I liked a lot. Decided to put the red dot on the AK-47. Thought I'd get a scope cause I do not have one. I actually think I would be happier with a red dot.

This gun is not for hunting but for "prepping". You know, the crazy hoards and such. I may use it for hunting also but that is not the priority.

I also noticed that, because of the large reticle I had to use a riser to make room for the install. This raises the scope to high for proper use. I am sure I will be taking it back. If I can not find one to make me happy for less than $100 I will get a red dot.

The red dot I have is almost exactly like this...  in fact it may ne the same one but under a cheapo china name. I am very happy with it. I would ask, though, what do the tube type of red dots off that mine does not? If seems that the tube style would be harder to acquire the target in. Comments?

**EDIT: Please read Forum Rule #4 concerning posting links to SWFA competitors that you agreed to when registering your account.**

Edited by RifleDude - March/09/2014 at 22:59
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2014 at 22:57
sofasurfer --
The answer to the question you posed in the thread title is YES, very easily. In fact, no optic at all is better than a Barska scope. NEVER buy a cheap Chinese optic for any firearm you intend to shoot a lot, especially one that you may call upon for self-defense. You simply cannot get a good, serviceable optic of any kind for less than about $125 - $150 these days, unless you buy used. It's better to use iron sights than rely on a cheap optic. I've seen no shortage of super-cheap, blister pack optics that friends and family members have bought, and most have eventually failed in some way. It makes no sense to buy a nice rifle and top it with a $50 optic. There's a reason it's cheap. A manufacturer simply cannot build a device as mechanically complex as a scope and sell it for a profit for the mfg, distributor, and retailer @ $50 retail without cutting some SERIOUS corners. Save up a little longer to get something dependable and use iron sights until then, if your gun comes equipped with them.

Edited by RifleDude - March/09/2014 at 23:02
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2014 at 23:21
This would suit your rifle and your purposes well. It's about as low priced as I would go
http://swfa.com/Weaver-1-3x20-Classic-V-Rifle-Scope-P2864.aspx
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2014 at 23:28
Just something to think about. The scope mount on every ar-15 i own cost $200 plus. I uabe used cheap mounts and scopes and just do t feel comfotable with any of them.

Have have broke barska. Ncstar, tasco, bsa in multiples on guns i have used. Some of them broke and ruger 10/22 rifles. An ar is actuall quite hard on scopes because the have a forward and backwards recoil impulse. I can tell u with near certainty that your barska will break on your ar. I broke two of them on my first ar, along with a ncstar a tasco and a ATN. I then bought a $400 ior scope and it has over $12000 rounds on if and it has never missed a beat.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic