OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need opinions on scopes for .243

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IHFarmer07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need opinions on scopes for .243
    Posted: March/04/2014 at 21:59
Hello, I'm needing advise on selecting a scope for my Thompson Center Icon in .243 with a 24" barrel. I'm wanting to go to 600 Yards with this, I've mostly been looking at Vortex but will go with other options in the 4-16 range under $600.
How much MOA would I need to accomplish 600 yards for this combination?
I have looked at these models in Vortex: viper HS-T 4-16x44 w/ 30mm tube 75 MOA adjustment
                                                           diamondback HP 4-16x42 w/ 1" tube 110 MOA
                                                           viper HS LR 4-16x44 w/ 30mm tube 75 & 50 MOA
                                                           viper HS 4-16x44 w/ 30mm tube 50 MOA
How come the diamondback HP has more MOA than the rest w/ 30mm tubes?
Thanks
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2014 at 23:17
Originally posted by IHFarmer07 IHFarmer07 wrote:

Hello, I'm needing advise on selecting a scope for my Thompson Center Icon in .243 with a 24" barrel. I'm wanting to go to 600 Yards with this, I've mostly been looking at Vortex but will go with other options in the 4-16 range under $600.
I have looked at these models in Vortex: viper HS-T 4-16x44 w/ 30mm tube 75 MOA adjustment
Thanks

If 600 yds is your outer limit, travel range on your elevation isn't likely to be a limiting factor as you'll use less than 15 MOA.  What kind of shooting are you doing with your .243?  Prairie dogs?  Rock chucks?  Running coyotes?  Deer?  Paper punching?  Have you shot your Icon much?  I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor in a TC Icon Precision Hunter and absolutely love it.  Great rifles! 

IHFarmer07 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IHFarmer07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2014 at 06:59
Originally posted by Maverick2 Maverick2 wrote:

Originally posted by IHFarmer07 IHFarmer07 wrote:

Thanks

If 600 yds is your outer limit, travel range on your elevation isn't likely to be a limiting factor as you'll use less than 15 MOA.  What kind of shooting are you doing with your .243?  Prairie dogs?  Rock chucks?  Running coyotes?  Deer?  Paper punching?  Have you shot your Icon much?  I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor in a TC Icon Precision Hunter and absolutely love it.  Great rifles! 

I plan to use it for most that you had listed and prairie dogs may or may not happen, but running coyotes thats something I don't try...waste of bullets. I plan to use it more for longer shots on varmints, paper...lol whatever out to 600 except for deer, I've got a 30-06 for that!
No actually I have not shot it, I just got it about a month ago and I barrowed a T-36 weaver for now just to shoot at paper first but I have read nothing but good things with these rifles. I looked REAL hard at getting that 6.5 creemoor but just couldn't justify getting it. Thanks
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2014 at 17:11
I would probably take a long look at the SWFA SS 3-15x42. That scope will do everything you want and more.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IHFarmer07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2014 at 17:37
Originally posted by biggreen747 biggreen747 wrote:

I would probably take a long look at the SWFA SS 3-15x42. That scope will do everything you want and more.

Haha I knew someone would recommend that scope! I would really really love to get that but I can't afford it.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2014 at 22:32
Check the sample list out. There are some good deals to be had there. And if you can wait awhile you might find a SS 3-15 there in your price range. Just need to keep checking.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IHFarmer07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2014 at 22:44
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Check the sample list out. There are some good deals to be had there. And if you can wait awhile you might find a SS 3-15 there in your price range. Just need to keep checking.

Yes accually I just got off of there! What is your opinion on the conquest 4.5-14x44 vs the vortex mentioned above vs minox 3-15x42?
Dirtyoldsix View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtyoldsix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2014 at 09:47
I have the Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 (not LR) on my Howa 243 Bull barrel.  It is a super combination and this scope has convinced me that there are other good scopes besides VX3's. Big Smile
If you can see it you can hit it.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2014 at 10:12

Of the scopes listed, I would definitely consider the 3-15SS superior.

On the caliber, I am a big 243 fan.  I have a 243AI and love it, very flat shooting round, very accurate, easy to find ammo.

Let us know what you decide.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IHFarmer07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2014 at 17:13
Geezzz....so many options to choose from! I want to stay under $600 but everyone is telling me to go with higher priced scopes. If I would go higher on the $ what do you say about the steiner extreme predator 4-16x50 vs the SS 3-15x42...now I found some deals around that I can get the steiner for $650 free shipping. I didn't think that I can find a $1000 scope for this price but I REALLY don't want spend that kind of money though.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2014 at 17:34
SPL20041 Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view 5214309972, Matte, Rapiz Z 800, 1"
$559.95
SPL19702 Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Conquest Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view 5214919972, Matte, Rapid Z 800, 1"
$599.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IHFarmer07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2014 at 18:34
Hey guys, I pulled the trigger on a Steiner optics predator extreme 4-16x50, I couldn't pass the deal up, I got the scope for $595+ plus a $75 mail in rebate.

Off subject and I don't have my computer with me right now but idk who to contact/ask but I had some problems with my laptop and we deleted the cookies and now I can't log into the forum, its like it just refreshes. I private messaged I think Chris Farris but no PM back. I don't know what else to do. Its a dell with Windows 8.1 idk what else it has as I'm not that in depth computer savy, this all sent from my easier to work with/simpler smartphone.

Thank you all for the support and suggestions!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic