OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Upgrade from Zeiss 3-9x40 to???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrade from Zeiss 3-9x40 to???
    Posted: March/03/2014 at 13:14

I have a 3-9x40 Conquest on my custom .45 smokeless muzzleloader build. I love the clarity and performance at dusk but I am thinking about moving that scope to a different rifle and upgrading to a scope with more magnification. I want to ring this rig out this summer to 500 yards. Lots of good choices out there in the $500 range. I do not want to go backwards in glass quality. Needs to handle recoil and still hunt thick woods with as well as bean fields. So for that I am thinking something in the 4-16 power range. A few I have looked at online are the weaver super slams, vortex hs, Bushnell elites, Leopold vx3 and vxr.

Any suggestions that fit this bill? I am open to try any brand as long as they have a warrantee that stands behind there scopes. The muzzleloaders generate a ton of recoil so its going to test the strength of the scope.  

Thanks guys!

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2014 at 13:55
I would speculate all of those choices would handle the recoil.

Are you dialing your drops?

If so, I have found Vortex scopes (Viper, Viper PST) to have excellent tracking.  they also have pretty good glass, but not up to the Conquest level.

I don't have much experience with the Weaver.

The VX3 is a pretty good scope, optically, with some variable eye relief.  I have only looked at the VXRs and haven't used them, but I wouldn't mind trying one.

Optics wise, I think your Conquest is going to be ahead of the others, with the VX3 being pretty close.
-Matt
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2014 at 14:07
Whats your price range?  That will help us sugggest the best glass for the money and features you want.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2014 at 14:11

I would like to keep it under $700 if possible.  

And yes I would like to have the option of dialing drops

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2014 at 14:40
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Optics wise, I think your Conquest is going to be ahead of the others, with the VX3 being pretty close.

I was about to comment that the scopes that you mention are not head and shoulders above the Conquest. In fact, they are probably optically inferior to the Conquest. As far as durability, they are all good. Bulls beat me to it. 

I think that you should look into Leupold VX 6 series. Shoot the rifle a lot, and carefully, and when you find your drop at 3-4-500 and the best load, send the scope in to the Leu custom shop for a custom reticle (my prefence) or for custom dial turrets.  
Or, get one of the Z3 Svarovski's or Zeiss Conquest HD 5 that already have the ballistic reticle and learn how to use it (shoot a lot at 3-4-500, take notes, etc.).    
Is this going to be a smokeless powder rifle? Either way, there is no substitute for shooting a ton of bullets and powder.
For $700 you can probably get a VX3 and custom dials made for it. You will probably spend $300 for powder and bullets while learning the bullet drop. 
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2014 at 15:08

Here is the rig I am asking help on. Its a .45 smokeless muzzleloader built off a Stevens 200 action with a McGowan barrel. I have it dialed at 200 yards with 3 shots touching and want to really see what it can do out further.

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2014 at 15:16
Nice rig, don'tcha love all the guys that think you have to shoot a .50. I shoot a TC G2 in .45 and have harvested 15 Whitetails with it. Never lost one.

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2014 at 16:09
Some options-

Nikon 4-16x50 Monarch 3 Riflescope Nikon 4-16x50 Monarch 3 Riflescope
Stock # - NIK6775
  • Matte
  • BDC
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Spot On Ballistic Match Technology
  • Spring Loaded Instant Zero-Reset Turrets
  • Ultra ClearCoat™ Optical System
  • Hand-turn 1/4 MOA Windage and Elevation Adjustments
  • Rugged, one piece body tube
  • Enhanced Mount Ring Spacing
  • Monarch 3 Eyebox Technology
  • Smooth Zoom Control
  • Full Lifetime Warranty
  • Waterproof
  • Fogproof
$399.95 
* low end of your budget, good glass, on par with the conquest, hand turn dials.  The BDC can be very helpful if time at the range is spent. Nikon's Spot on program can provide some great info, dialible for distance as well.

Vortex 4-16x50 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope Vortex 4-16x50 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - VORVHS4307LR
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • Long Range
$599.95 
Add Vortex 4-16x50 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

* great company, good glass, on par or slight edge against the conquest, dialable and has bdc too.

SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope
Stock # - SS315X42MQ
  • Matte Finish
  • First Focal Plane
  • Patented Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm Tube
  • Side Focus (6m-infinity)
  • OK for .50cal
  • .10 Mrad Turrets
$699.95 
Add SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

* Had to toss this in there.  Yes its more tactical than hunting but its dialable and at budget,  only problem is the reticle isn't as thick as I'd like for hunting but definatly usable  Glass slightly edges out the conquest to my eyes.

Some from the samplelist. -
(I like both these Burris six X scopes.  One is illuminated but the other has the ballistic plex.  Both aren't ideal for dialing in though)
(can dial in and great mag range but reticle ain't ideal for hunting)

I just don't think you'll find a scope for $700ish that you can dial in, have better glass than the conquest (noticeably) and be 14X on the top in.  if you will rarely dial in I'd cross that requirement/want off and it may open more options up I missed.  I just skimmed though.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2014 at 16:15

I will look at all the suggestions so far but I just want to clear one point up. Im not looking for better glass than the Conquest I just do not want to go to far backwards. I love that conquest I just want more magnification is all.

I really am leaning towards the Vortex HS but that reticle looks like it may be to thin for hunting the edge of woods near dusk. Any thoughts on the reticle thickness?

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2014 at 16:55
Originally posted by 03mossy 03mossy wrote:

I really am leaning towards the Vortex HS but that reticle looks like it may be to thin for hunting the edge of woods near dusk. Any thoughts on the reticle thickness?

You can find a PST in your price range and gain illumination for those low light situations.

-Matt
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2014 at 17:19

Look at the SWFA sample list.Sometimes the new Zeiss HD scopes pop up!There  is a Conquest HD5 5-25x50 #- SPL 20050 for $899.95.

Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2014 at 19:39
Ok. So why not a 4.5-14 Conquest. There are a handful of them on the sample list and within your budget. Then you are giving up nothing. I've had a couple 4-16 Nikon Monarch, IMO the glass isn't even close to the Conquest. I had a 4-20 Weaver Super Slam which was an outstanding scope. The only reason I got rid of it was I had the dot reticle which was too small for what I was doing. The standard Weaver duplex is really nice though. Similar to the Conquest duplex
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2014 at 20:29
my monarchs and conquest are on par with each other. 
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2014 at 08:45
Nice rig! If you want to get to 500 yards reliably, it would be advisable to try smokeless loads and tipped, boat tail bullets. I would get that thing to 2000 fps at least. That Stevens is a very strong Savage rifle. 
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2014 at 09:06
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

Nice rig! If you want to get to 500 yards reliably, it would be advisable to try smokeless loads and tipped, boat tail bullets. I would get that thing to 2000 fps at least. That Stevens is a very strong Savage rifle. 

Thanks!

This is a smokeless rig. Last fall I worked up a load with Barnes TEZ's sabotless, great bullet but fairly poor bc. Now I am shooting loads just under 2800fps with 300 grain Parker Match Hunters (they have a BC of .420) sabotless. If I go with a lighter bullet I can reach over 3000fps. This aint my grandpas front stuffer LOL.

03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2014 at 11:58

Spending some time at lunch wearing out SWFA's web sight and I'm thinking this might be the best deal out there right now???

http://swfa.com/Nikon-4-16x42-Monarch-3-Riflescope-P61589.aspx

mtank View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2014 at 14:33
Another vote for the conquest 4.5x15x50.
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2014 at 17:53
Originally posted by mtank mtank wrote:

Another vote for the conquest 4.5x15x50.

The ones on the sample list have the rapid z800 reticle. Which looks sweet and would be great for the long shots but how well would it show up in the dark woods?
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2014 at 07:39
Thanks for all the suggestions. Its a good problem to have with so many good choices. I am going to take my time with this decision as my current scope really does get the job done. This up grade is more of a want than a need Lol.

Edited by 03mossy - March/06/2014 at 07:53
mtank View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2014 at 07:46
______  has the zeiss 4.5x15x50 new for 699 no tax free shipping with options on your reticle.

Please remember the rules that you agreed to when joining Optic Talk.

#3 Do not advertise other retailers selling the same or similar products as SWFA, this includes posting links to other retailers for products sold by SWFA. SWFA does not provide this forum as a vehicle to redirect customers to our competition.

Edited by Skylar McMahon - March/06/2014 at 08:39
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic