OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hitting low

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheSwede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hitting low
    Posted: March/02/2014 at 18:04
Hi guys. I was shooting my new nikon on my 26 inch barrel varmint
rifle and with the scope zeroed i hit 7-8 inch low at 100 yards. Is it becouse of the longer barrel or do i have a reciever thats not straight? Doesnt matter if i switch scope or use 1 pc rail or 2pc bases. Right now i feel like i have to get a moa elevated rail.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2014 at 19:24
How did you find zero for the scope when using the different bases? Are you saying that there is not enough adjustment in the scopes you have used to adjust to your point of impact.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
m00n View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m00n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2014 at 19:40
Not clear what round you're shooting or at what distance you originally zeroed but if you zeroed a standard 22lr at 50 yds, seems like you should be hitting about that low at 100 yds without adjusting the elevation.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2014 at 19:48
Sounds like you just need to move the adjustments up 7 or 8 moa (28 to 32 clicks)
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2014 at 22:15
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Sounds like you just need to move the adjustments up 7 or 8 moa (28 to 32 clicks)

This.
TheSwede View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheSwede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2014 at 03:18
Hi! When i say that the scope is zero i mean that nothing is adjusted. The both crosses in the scope is align. Im shooting 6,5x55. Sure there is no problem to click up 7-8 inches but i just wondered why i hit low becouse my rem 700 (22 inch barrel) was almost dead on target at 100 yards with scope zeroed. So there is no problem really but i prefer when mounting a scope that it align with the barrel and the reticle is on the target when you look throu the barrel and its also on the target.
m00n View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m00n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2014 at 04:19
That's called bore sighting.  It's just the first step but it sounds like you're pretty good at it.  You'll still need to "zero" by making the final elevation and windage turret adjustments on your scope.  Check your scope manual and search this forum or Youtube to find a good "how to" video. 

Here's one:

Gerry Atric View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2014 at 05:45
TheSwede,

PM sent.

Gerry Atric
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2014 at 07:23
It still wasn't clear to me that he really understands what a off rifle zeroed scope is.  Which is of course an equal numbers of clicks in both directions on both knobs.  That's mechanically centered.
If he took that scope off another rifle to which it was tuned (zeroed)  It is unreasonable to expect the scope to be zeroed on the new rifle at install without tuning (zeroing) the scope to that rifle.

I do not intend to offend by speaking basics its just I don't know your level of knowledge or experience so I always assume a novice...

You not only changed rifles but barrel lengths and caliber as well...  You couldn't have shuffled a deck of cards better....
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

TheSwede View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheSwede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2014 at 16:35
Thanks for all the input. I guess shims is one way to get it right. Just for being clear i only took my 700 as an other example. I have not used the scope on another rifle or caliber. Im perfectly clear about how to use the elevation and windage knobs i just felt that going 25-35 clicks up is alittle bit much to start with. Im thinking of shims or bedding the rail a few mil elevated.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2014 at 19:49
Or Burris Signature rings. I have a couple rifles with mounting issues and the make it a simple task.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
TheSwede View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheSwede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2014 at 12:23
Yes signature rings are probebly a good solution for this case. Thanks. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic