OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is the Vortex Viper 6x24 ffp still a good buy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New to Rilfes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is the Vortex Viper 6x24 ffp still a good buy?
    Posted: March/02/2014 at 17:40

I am thinking about buying a vortex viper pst 6-24x50 FFP scope.

I am buying it based only on good reviews for mounting on a Remington 700 308 to possibly shoot as far as I can shoot out in the Nevada desert. No hunting, just long range shooting.

Most reviews are from the past and I am not sure if any other scope beats it out now in the $1000 price range. Like is there a better bang for your buck scope?

The vortex viper comes with a new reticle called the EBR-2C. Is this worth getting and waiting over the EBR-1 recticle. Here is a link to the recticles.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-ffp-riflescope-with-ebr-1-mrad-reticle

Thankyou

M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2014 at 21:51
I have one mounted on a Savage 10 FCP HS-Precision and it works very well.

Being a FFP the cross hairs grow in size as you zoom in and will cover small objects at range.

The range I shoot at is a 300 yard range and I can reliably see my bullet holes in the targets at that range that ARE NOT in the black.

If I print out some custom targets on 8x11 paper with a gray shade instead of black I can spot the holes.

The optics are clear but not near as good as my ATACR on my AR30-A1 338 - that said I have been very satisfied with the scope and the performance.

At max zoom things are a tad fuzzy so I run up to 23 power max but generally shoot with it set at 10 - 12x

I purchased mine in January of 2013 from SWFA.com
Geo-spatially speaking you missed :o)
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2014 at 21:54
Oh BTW have ran the wind age and elevation all over the place then back to my 300 yd zero settings and the scope was dead on.

The adjusting knobs are nice and smooth and have a good feel to them.
Rudy Dog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rudy Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2014 at 19:33
My only complaint about the FFP PST's is the thickness of the reticle. I have done some figuring and it is a little shy of 1/4 MOA , not sure what kind of groups your gun/you are capable of but I am probably going to sell mine off and get a SFP with the smaller sub tensions.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2014 at 17:05
If you are looking for a FFP scope in the $1000 range, the options are pretty slim and Vortex is a good scope to turn to.  Sightron S3 now has a FFP version of its S3 6-24x50 scope.  I think Vortex has the better reticle, but Sightron has the somewhat better optics.  It is a close call though and I do not know off hand which one of these I would get between the two.

Burris just announced a whole line of XTR II scopes with the higher magnification models being FFP.  I liked what I saw at SHOT, but I have not tested them yet, so the jury is still out.

ILya
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2014 at 21:49

Rudy Dog - yup you are very correct on the fat reticle - would I buy another Vortex yes - but I would not buy another FFP scope will stick to secondary focal - as for grouping with the right load and a good day for my eyeballs I can get .5 MOA groups or a tad better out of my Savage pretty consistent - but I attribute that to the prep work I do on my reloads.

And as koshkin points out the Sightron having better optics - I think it is a tad "clearer" optics wise compared to my Vortex.

But in the end it is up to the individual what they like and recommend that one look through a scope in daylight and late or early morning light to make a decision

New to Rilfes View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New to Rilfes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2014 at 20:48

Thanks for the posts and you bring up a good point about the reticle.

Just how bad is it and should I look for something else? Is this a problem with all FFP scopes or did vortex somehow do a bad job with the reticle? Will I be able to see out to 1000 yards or will the reticle cover up the object?

The other question is I heard that it doesn't have much elevation range adjustment? Do you agree with this, does it ever cause any issues?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2014 at 21:33
Originally posted by New to Rilfes New to Rilfes wrote:

Thanks for the posts and you bring up a good point about the reticle.

Just how bad is it and should I look for something else? Is this a problem with all FFP scopes or did vortex somehow do a bad job with the reticle? Will I be able to see out to 1000 yards or will the reticle cover up the object?

The other question is I heard that it doesn't have much elevation range adjustment? Do you agree with this, does it ever cause any issues?

Reticle size is a matter of preference.  I prefer reticles on the thick side and I have never found that detrimental to my shooting (within certain limits of course). 

The line thickness on the MOA reticles in the 6-24x50 FFP is either 0.18 MOA (EBR-1) or 0.1 MOA (EBR-2C).  I have a hard time imagining that as being too thick for any situation I might run into.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New to Rilfes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2014 at 10:33
Thanks, what about the elevation adjustment? Because it doesn't have much elevation adjustment will this cause any problems?
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2014 at 15:19

You can just get a 10 or 20MOA rail to mount it on so most all your elevation adjustment is biased upward...

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New to Rilfes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2014 at 14:12

I am not sure how far I will shoot, but should I buy a riser rail?

Approximately, how many yards can a vortex viper shoot up to without needed a riser rail? 

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2014 at 07:27
Well you'll have to do some math there.  balistic drop of your round will determine that.
You can count clicks of elevation and if you know how many clicks equal 1 MOA then you should be able calculate max elevation before hold over is required...  adding a riser effectively shifts declination clicks into inclination clicks giving you more distance before hold-over... 

Find out how many clicks of elevation you have without a riser then calculate how much rise you need to reach the distances you want.  As lon as you can zero at 100yds or even 2ooyds with only a few declination clicks you should still be fine...
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic