OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

TPS Ring mounts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TPS Ring mounts
    Posted: June/14/2006 at 19:08
Somewhere he I read about this super good mounts.

If anyone wants to order any, the company and all but one if their dealers are out.

www.brownells.com is the only place you can get them for the picantinny base.

part number 100-000-957 will bring up the page.

IF you have a Weaver rail, like I do. You have to buy this mount, call the company and pay for the cross bolt that fits the Weaver base.  Press the picantinny cross bolts out, then install the Weaver bolts.

Are we having fun yet?
Islamofacists are nothing but Chicken shi'ites
hotshot110 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotshot110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2006 at 21:46
To my knowledge every ad i have seen for tps rings stated that they would fit any weaver type base. So i take it that you tried and they did'nt fit correct? Just curios because i have a set on the way.
Garrand View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2006 at 22:45
According to them. They has to different crossbolts. The Weaver bolts are smaller. If you try and put the Picantinny bolts across a Weaver base, you will have to cut a groove for the bold to go thru the base.

Thier standard model is NOT Weaver. Thier "W" model is.  The same ring mount, differnet bolts.
According to the tech I talked to today at TPS.

I need a low profile ring mount, so I am going to order the wrong ones. See if they fit, it not, Ill either cut the groove, or buy the Weaver cross bolts.
Ring Master View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Master of the Rings

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ring Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2006 at 17:33

Why not just buy some good heavy duty STEEL rings that do fit both the Weaver style and Picatinny??  In my eyes, there is something real wrong with having to change the recoil lug to fit the rail. If you mount Weaver style properly, it works as well on the Picatinny rail as  does the captive Picatinny ring. That's why most ring manufactures built only Weaver style tactical rings.

RM 

Ron
NRA Life Member
Garrand View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2006 at 21:06
Weight....

The Billet is half the wieght of the steel.

I can always just buy a Picatinny rail and install it in place of the weaver.

Should have the ring mounts this weekend. Talk to you more then

Garrand View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2006 at 22:03
Follow up:

I mounted my new 20x SS with the Picatanny rings. I had to file a tad in the base groove so the bigger bolts fit.

It is a rock solid mount, and a good looking scope :-)

Next comes bore sighting
TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2006 at 11:33

The idea behind Picatinny Crossbolts is the following:

Most Tactical Bases are Picatinny

With Picatinny Crossbolts in the Rings you have the option of pulling the scope off if mission dictates.  Climb your mountain or just for protecting your scope.  Put the scope on and you don't lose your zero.

With Weaver Crossbolts in a Picatinny Base your zero will change anywhere for 1/4 to 1/2 moa or maybe more.

Hope this helps,

Phil

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic