OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS 10X42 Reticle levelling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HU100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS 10X42 Reticle levelling
    Posted: June/14/2006 at 07:56

Folks,

I recently switched out my IOR HD base and rings for a TPS 20MOA base and 30MM rings for my Remington 700 custom.  I am sure I had this problem when I mounted my SS with the IOR rig, but ignored it at the time.  I am having one hell of a time levelling my SS reticle to a level rifle and mounts.  The reticle appears level through the scope, but the turrets are both off level.  Is this possible with the SS scopes?  I have a angle cosign indicater mounted on the base and this allows me to re-check the levelness of the rifle while the scope is on the base, but I cannot get all of the points level.  I am thinking that the reticle may be somewhat canted in the scope tube.  Is it best to just level the scope by the turrets and assume that my eyes are just seeing a canted reticle?  I also have a ACD that makes it all worse.  I attach the ACD as specified and orient it to what appears to be a level reticle and then I have about four differt points that will not level out the same.  I need to just find a most basic way to level the reticle to a level rifle and deal with it.  Any suggestions?  

EVER FORWARD
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2006 at 14:25
The cosine indicator should level your rifle front to rear, but now it's attached to a base with 1/3 degree incline, rear to front and will require adjustment accordingly.

The anti cant device should level you rifle side to side, which is the indicator you want.
Do that, then set your vertical cross hair via a string line suspended from something.  After that and with the rifle held solidly in position (vise is a must)  run the elevation all the way up, and then all the way down.   Center of the cross hair should track the string line perfectly.
If it goes off to the side simply adjust your scope in the rings until the cross hair tracks the string.
Charlie70 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2006 at 16:44
Battenfeld Tech. makes the Level-Level-Level which levels your horizontal crosswire to your receiver. I have 2 line levels and use them in the same manner, one across the top turret and one across the receiver. Works pretty well.....If your wire(or etched reticle) is canted though, it won't work.

Edited by Charlie70
HU100 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HU100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2006 at 17:16
Thanks guys for two good suggestions.  When I lay my little Stanley level across the top turret, get it level and look through the scope, the reticle cants to the left.  Either the reticle is off or the SS turrets are.  I will start from scratch with your advice.  I put the Stanley up against the side of the cosine indicator just to check if the rifle is still level.
EVER FORWARD
harlikwin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harlikwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2006 at 18:09
HU100,

In many scopes the reticle isn't perfectly inline with the the turret mechanism. I've found that its much better to level the turrets than the reticle since if the turrets are canted when you adjust up you will also adjust L/R. So I tend to live with a few degrees of reticle cant (even my leupys have a few degrees)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic