OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Here is an updated post about my buck.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Here is an updated post about my buck.
    Posted: February/19/2014 at 20:48
Here is my deer, with a fine mount if I do say so. It came back official, 32 points, 195 3/4".
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2014 at 05:55
that is gnarly Excellent
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2014 at 07:37
Holy cow! Excellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2014 at 07:57
That's worth while!! My GranPa took one similar in upper Michigan in 1946. That gives some idea of how rare. If I ever get this stupid puter to post pics again I show ya how similar. Very nice!! Congrats!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2014 at 08:56
Excellent
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2014 at 09:36
Dang nice... we had one like that in Alabama once... someone drove through with the mount in their truck...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2014 at 09:40
Very Nice !!! Thunbs Up
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2014 at 10:04
Exceptional buck, Mike!!!
Was that the one you shot behind your father-in-law's house?

Also, you have Texas in your avatar. I saw where you mentioned you are now stationed in Washington. Did you grow up in TX? Did you kill that buck in TX?

Edited by RifleDude - February/20/2014 at 10:12
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2014 at 11:41
Yes, that is the same buck that I shot behind my father-in-laws house. He has at least 3 out of 7 shooters show up again this year with a few that still need a few years to mature and increase the population. I grew up in Texas about an hour northwest of Fort Worth. I shot him just north of the Red River in Oklahoma in the town of Calera, near Durant. I'm currently in the process of finding somewhere to hunt elk here in Washington.
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2014 at 12:15
Originally posted by LRSMike LRSMike wrote:

I'm currently in the process of finding somewhere to hunt elk here in Washington.

You might try the William O. Douglas Wilderness area, not far from Yakima.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/okawen/recarea/?recid=79426

A buddy of mine used to live in Seattle, and during one visit in 2000, he and I bowhunted in the W.O.D. Wilderness. There were actually quite a few elk in there at that time, by public hunting land standards, but we weren't successful in getting a bull into bow range during that hunt. We heard lots of bugling every night, and it sounded like they were within 1/4 mile of our camp.

There are places to camp in the bordering Wenatchee and Snoqualmie Nat'l Forests. We camped near "Devil's Table," which I believe was in the Wenatchee NF. I'd go there again.

I have kind of a funny story about that trip. I got lost trying to find my way back to camp in the dark, when my flashlight batteries started to go dead. As I was walking in the general direction I THOUGHT was the way back to camp, I happened to point my dying flashlight to my feet and noticed to my horror that I nearly stepped off the side of a sheer vertical cliff and fell to my death. I came within inches -- my next step forward would have been fatal. So, rather than continue walking aimlessly (this is before I had a GPS), I backed away from the cliff, found a nice flat spot protected from the wind by surrounding rocks, and slept (or tried to), using my backpack as a pillow until morning. It rained on me that night, and I was very cold. It was perhaps the most miserable night I've ever spent outdoors. My buddy gathered up a search party from nearby camps when I didn't return to camp that eve, but didn't find me, and neither of us could hear the other yelling.

As soon as the sun came up, I was able to regain my bearings and, recognizing familiar landmarks, easily walked back to camp.

As a result of my close brush with death, I bought a GPS as soon as I got back home and have never ventured into unfamiliar territories without one since!

Edited by RifleDude - February/20/2014 at 12:55
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2014 at 12:51
Nice Ted Excellent
Regards Chris
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2014 at 14:23
Just don't concentrate on looking at the GPS too much while moving!
Reaction time is a factor...
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2014 at 09:08
Now THATS a nice trophy.ExcellentExcellentExcellent
Congratulations with the beauty.
Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2014 at 21:34

" It will rain on Ted's parade! "  

Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic