OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help choosing scope for my Steyr

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help choosing scope for my Steyr
    Posted: February/18/2014 at 21:49
I just got a Steyr SSG 04 in 300 Win Mag and plan on using it to 1000 to 1500 yards. My scope budget is about a little under the rifle which is about $1200. I am thinking of going over budget with the Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-20X50 with Horus reticle and the 34mm tube.

Is the SWFA SS 5-20X50 HD FFP the same quality as the Bushnell?

Is the SWFA or the Bushnell made in China?

Any other choices in the $1200-$1400 price range?

What would be the best scope for the money?
Thanks
skeeeter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2014 at 01:15
I understand both scopes are made in Japan.
Is there anyone using the new Bushnell Tactical or the 5-20X50SWFA that can make a suggestion as to which one to buy?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2014 at 06:31
I personally have the SS. To me it's excellent. I've not used the Bushnell but having prior experience with their customer service was enough for me to swear off any of their products in the future. Its terrible
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2014 at 09:42
Bushnell 3.5-21x50 Elite Tactical 34mm Rifle Scope Bushnell 3.5-21x50 Elite Tactical 34mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - BUSET35215
  • Matte
  • Horus H-59
  • 34mm
  • Locking T-Lok Turrets
  • Side Parallax Adjustment
  • RainGuard HD®
  • Forged Aluminum Alloy One-Piece Tube
  • .1 Mil Click Value
  • First Focal Plane
$1,599.99 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2014 at 09:43
SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope Illuminated Mil Quad SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD520X50MQI
  • Patented First Focal Plane Illuminated Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • HD Model
  • Locking Ocular Adjustment
  • 0.1 Mrad Elevation & Windage
  • 10 Mils Per Revolution
  • 30 Mils Of Total Travel
  • Side Focus
$1,499.95  
SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD520X50MQ
  • Patented First Focal Plane Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • HD Model
  • Locking Ocular Adjustment
  • 0.1 Mrad Elevation & Windage
  • 10 Mils Per Revolution
  • 30 Mils Of Total Travel
  • Side Focus
$1,299.95  

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2014 at 09:56
Buy Once Cry Once
U.S. Optics 5-25x58 ER-25 34mm Riflescope U.S. Optics 5-25x58 ER-25 34mm Riflescope
Stock # - USOER25HORUS
  • Parallax Control: T-Pal Left Side Parallax/Focus
  • Tube: 34mm Standard
  • Color: Matte Black Type III Hard Anodizing
  • Eyepiece: Lo Profile - Rapid Focus
  • Includes USO Flip Open Covers
  • Reticle: Horus H-37 (MIL)
  • Digital Push Button Illumination (Red)
  • Knob - EREK 1/10 MIL 110 Click
  • Knob - US#3 1/10 MIL
$3,610.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2014 at 13:24
The SS has better glass to my eye, but the Bushy has a lot of features. I am not really into the Horus thing, so paying extra for that is redundant. Both are really good for their price. You might also check out the Steiner 5-25
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
skeeeter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2014 at 00:09
I have a Steiner 3-12X50 Military that listed out for $2300 and I bought it new for $1100 shipped. I have it on my Sig 3000 and it works great. 

Now I need a scope for the 300 Win Mag Steyr SSG 04 and am thinking of $1500 max for either the 5-20X50HD by SWFA or the Bushnell 3.5-25X50 with Horus reticle. I already have the 34mm rings for the Bushnell just can not decide on which scope is stronger, brighter superior optics and hopefully the Horus reticle is accurate and fast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2014 at 09:10
The SS will have better glass in terms of resolution and color rendition. The Bushy has great features such as a huge magnification range, and the Horus.Both have very good knobs, and are pretty robust.
skeeeter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2014 at 00:01
Billyburl2    You are making this an even harder choice but I thank you for the input. Which scope would you buy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2014 at 01:04
I bought the SS. The decision was easier for me, as I only had one set of 30mm rings, and I bought for less than even the original group buy price. And I might have a bit of bias, as I believe the SS line offers the best glass/features of any scope in their respective price ranges. The only thing the Bushy has on the SS, IMHO, is the 3.5x on the bottom end. The Horus does not interest me at all. I have shot a friend's $&B with the Horus and it just doesn't do anything for me. With all the different measurements available on the mil-quad offered on the SS, I believe it is one of the easiest reticles to get hold offs correct with!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic