OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

PST 2.5-10 x 32 or 40

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PST 2.5-10 x 32 or 40
    Posted: February/17/2014 at 19:46
As I ponder another purchase I've had Vortex recommended by a few people. Rather than debate several choices let's discuss why Vortex has both a 32 and a 40 in the 2.5-10 line.

I think I'm correct in saying the 32 is a newer model. Otherwise what's the scoop?
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2014 at 06:17
The model with the 32 MM objective is a FFP scope while the other is a SFP model.  I have both and the 32 MM model seems to have better glass to my eyes, but that could be me.
dillon_h View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff
Woody

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2014 at 09:14
It is FFP, it has side focus instead of fixed 100 yard parallax and it lays lower on rifles. The biggest thing I have noticed when mounting the 2.5-10x44 PST's on bolt guns is, the objective bell taper hits either the front of the picatinny rail or barrel chamber before getting as low as it could be. My guess is, they wanted to make a more compact version while keeping the same overall use principle.
Dillon@SWFA.com
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2014 at 10:02
I have only mounted one of the 2.5-10x44's, it is mounted on a Remington 700 with a varmint contour barrel.  I used a TPS XP Tactical one piece base (20 MOA) and TPS TSR super low and did not have any problems with the objective hitting the rail or the chamber, but maybe I got lucky.   
dillon_h View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff
Woody

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2014 at 10:31
With a short action setup, that works well. With a long action, the rail is so long compared to the scope that the front of the base almost reaches the largest part of the objective bell. This requires much higher rings. Moving the scope forward to fix this would cause the magnification ring to sit over the base causing the same issue and mess up proper eye relief.  
Dillon@SWFA.com
opeagle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2014 at 18:34
So at the end of the day, I didn't see the 44 was SFP.

Oops.    In that price range, FFP, Mil/Mil and Illuminated am I missing another choice ?
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2014 at 07:14

Weaver has a 2-10x36, it is FFP, Mil/Mil, and illuminated.  It does not have side focus and has less adjustment.  The Vortex also has the CRS zero-stop.

http://swfa.com/Weaver-2-10x36-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P55483.aspx

SWFA has it for $744.95, the Vortex is $799.95.

There may be more I am missing.  The 3-15 Super Sniper has everything but illumination and is less than both at $699.

opeagle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2014 at 19:42
I want to stay in the under 800 range. Anymore options?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic