OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pentax, Minox, or Nikon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pentax, Minox, or Nikon
    Posted: June/13/2006 at 18:06

Someone please help me with a pick.  After a lot of thought and reading, and knowing my budget, I have narrowed down my wish list of binoculars to the following all here a SWFA:

Pentax 10x42 DCF HR II Binocular 278.95

Minox BD 10x42 BL Binocular 318.95 (Not in stock yet) or Black for 399.95

Nikon 10x42 Monarch ATB Binocular 299.95

There are a bunch of good posts on at least two.  The Minox seams to be a newer model.  And I've searched elsewhere, but don't want to be too hasty.  I hunt mostly in the hill country of Texas for deer.  I've never had a good pair of binoculars, and want to keep these a long time.  One question I have is are the Minox BD BL green the same as the black except for color?    I understand the Minox green should be available in July, that is not a problem.  I've gazed thru the Monarks and Pentax in various stores and know they are pretty darn good, but have not touched not the other.  Any help would be appreciated.

Glenn

Glenn
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2006 at 19:26

Glenn:

While this is one guys opinon of the ones you mentioned I have no experience with Minox.  I like the Pentax DCF HRII over the Monarchs.  I think Nikon makes a great scope but I was pretty disappointed in their binoculars.  Just didnt seem as bright as the others in the same price range.

A good set of poro's in that price range will blow the roof prisms your looking at away.  I'd look at a good set or poro's and the two that I have exerience with are the Swift Audubons and the Baush Lomb Discovers.  Both are very nice glass.  Do a search on this forum for the Swift Audubons they have great reviews.  The B/L were great but they are no longer made *check E-bay they some times pop up.

Also, a little unknown brand Carson has the XM series and they are about the best roof prisms I've found in the price range your looking at.

Here is some links for ready up on:

http://betterviewdesired.com/audubon/audubon.html

http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles0404/je0404-1.htm l

Good luck

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2006 at 19:45
Ok, I'm curious as to the difference between the two Minox bins. One is $319, the other $390.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2006 at 16:33

Roy, i tought i had replied to your question yesterday, but i must  have hit the wrong button or something.

The Minox BL series cost less, weigh less, and have composite bodies. The Minox BD cost more, weigh more, and have metal bodies. I suspect that the BD series also has better optics, but i am not sure.

glenn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2006 at 09:42

Thank you for the info, Acenturian.  I am checking those out.

I talked with a Minox rep last week  He told me that the blacks are assembled in Japan, the greens were assembled in China.  The glass and other material is the same.  I called Wednesday afternoon about 2 or so and left a message.  The rep called back first thing in the morning and was very helpful and cooperative.  I may be pound wize and dollar foolish, but the green ones are out for me.

Glenn
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2006 at 17:38
Originally posted by glenn glenn wrote:

the blacks are assembled in Japan, the greens were assembled in China.  The glass and other material is the same. 

I would have never tought of that. I can't imagine why they do this? You mean assembly differs between black and green within the BL series? Or the BL is assembled in China and the BD in Japan? 

Edited by anweis
Minox View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2006 at 09:44

Dear Friends,

Both, Black and Green versions of Minox "BL" binoculars are assembled in Japan - sorry if the earlier information was a little misleading.

The only difference between two “BL” models is Limited Edition hunting green rubber armor.  Limited Edition "BL"’s were produced in small quantities and now are available at Sportsman's Warehouse for as long as supplies last.

The differences between "BL" and "BD" respectively: non-aspheric lenses vs aspheric, composite rubberized body vs aluminum (also rubberized), nitrogen gas filling vs argon.

Still, MINOX "BL" binoculars perform extremely well - you would be pleasantly surprised.

I hope the above helps.  Thanks and happy hunting!

Gene Varva
Minox USA
glenn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2006 at 00:50

Ok.  I did a turn around.  I bought 8X42 Docter.  Pretty good.  There seems to be questionalble support for them in the States, but the price and quality vs. the others was hard to pass up.  There are many interesting comments on them on this site.  If the reputation holds true, I shouldn't have any problems with them.  If so, I'll cross that bridge.  I gotta pay for a lease, then maybe next year I can get a Weaver GS 4.5-14 for my 22-250.  I've bought two GS from SWFA and they're really good folks.  For the first one I went to the shop, and the lady at the front was great in showing me the various scopes.  Chris helped me further, so I left as a satisfied customer who would buy another scope from them by Internet.  Wish I could have gotten the Docters while they were here.

Glenn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic