OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Reticle to compensate for vision issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickey1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reticle to compensate for vision issue
    Posted: February/17/2014 at 06:46
I find that I have developed a vision impairment in my right eye that makes it difficult to use the usual 1/4 minute duplex reticles. When I was a a kid I owned a post which came to a triangle point at the top. What scopes might offer something thicker. Is there any convoluted way I could shoot right handed but left eyed? Any other suggestions?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2014 at 07:12
German #1 reticle is available in many scopes.  Trijicon makes a good, similar reticle.  As for shooting right handed looking through left eye…NOT recommended.  If you have to make the step, you are much better off just going to left handed shooting.
Sorry to hear of your vision problem.  Some things in life just suck.

Welcome to the OT.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2014 at 09:45
Welcome to OT, Mickey!

As KB mentioned, the German #1 post reticle and Trijicon's BAC triangle are both very visible reticles that incorporate the triangular/arrowhead-shaped aiming point you describe.

The #1 isn't very popular here in the States, but it is available in a few scopes.

How much are you willing to spend on this scope? We can then give you recommendations.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2014 at 09:58
being cross eyed dominate certainly makes it more interesting, but in the end is how much do you want to practice. Have known several IPSC and 3 gun champions that were cross eyed dominate. Many good articles on the web about this, and how to train, with shotgun, handgun and scopes, Also check Brianenos.com       cross dominance shooting   or     cross eyed dominance
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Mickey1010 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickey1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2014 at 18:40
Thanks for your response . I expected that only the better scopes would have a post. I guess before I decide how much I am willing to spend, I would like to have an idea how much good would it do. That is to say I would love to look through one before I buy.  Having said that I would consider $500 but probably choke on $1000. Would appreciate a few specifics on models I could at least look at online, and get some idea how wide the post is. Depending on sizing I suppose I might do as well with just a fat crosshair or perhaps a duplex I could use as a post. If I had specific sizing I might at least use the thick part of the duplex to get an idea how much gook the post would do before I but.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2014 at 18:56
You should be able to find the Trijicon with the post reticle at many retailers to look through. Keep an eye on the sample list here if you decide you like it. They show up occasionally and you can save some dollars off of the price of new. I have the 3-9 Accupoint with post and green triangle and really like it.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickey1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2014 at 19:42
Originally posted by biggreen747 biggreen747 wrote:

You should be able to find the Trijicon with the post reticle at many retailers to look through. Keep an eye on the sample list here if you decide you like it. They show up occasionally and you can save some dollars off of the price of new. I have the 3-9 Accupoint with post and green triangle and really like it.

Thanks for the suggestion - I took a look the Trijicon's on swfa.com. I don't believe it would work well for me because it is not solid except at the tip. Small lines are what I have difficulty with. Plus I am red/green color blind and the lighted models might be a problem too.

Anyone have any experience with the Meopta #4 reticle?. First is it a reasonably good quality scope? The thing I hate most about cheap scopes is when they shift point of impact between 3 and 9 power. Second would the middle post be close enough to center to sight in an inch or two high at 100 yards?
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2014 at 20:00
Another option may be the leupold custom shop. They offer a number of different reticles that may suit you well and will build a scope for you. You will pay a bit more but it's not excessive.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2014 at 23:44
Welcome to the OT!

Have you given any thought to the Bindon style of shooting?This is strictly both eyes open using a red dot.For up & close[100yds]it's hard to beat the Aimpoints.The Trijicon rules the roost when you want to stretch the distance,but that is a little more then you are looking to spend but you can get lucky on the Sample list.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickey1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2014 at 11:25
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

being cross eyed dominate certainly makes it more interesting, but in the end is how much do you want to practice. Have known several IPSC and 3 gun champions that were cross eyed dominate. Many good articles on the web about this, and how to train, with shotgun, handgun and scopes, Also check Brianenos.com       cross dominance shooting   or     cross eyed dominance

This has been a great suggestion. Most of the commenters recommend switching to left hand in my case, but at least one suggested adopting more of a right hand Weaver style stance and using the left eye even with rifle. Next trip to the range I will give this a try. I shot fairly well left handed last trip but I am a pretty old dog to switch to a left hand bolt plus having bought my current rifle from money I made on my paper route when I was a teen I am fond of it. Not so fond I would stop hunting but not before exploring all my options. Very interesting so many people recommending using cellophane over shooting glasses as my condition is called  cellophane maculopathy and is sort of like having a piece of cellophane on my reading glasses all the time.  
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2014 at 17:42
If you ever plan on wing shooting and your left eye is your dominant eye you will be better off to switch.  I shot right. Then having a hard time hitting any moving targets at age 17 switched to shooting left handed. Now Macular degeneration is starting in my left eye. I may have to switch back to right hand at 62.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2014 at 17:51
How exactly do you shoot a rifle right handed while using your left eye?  WIth a hand gun that is easily possible, but with a rifle you can't just switch your eye like you can with a handgun. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickey1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2014 at 18:12
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

If you ever plan on wing shooting and your left eye is your dominant eye you will be better off to switch.  I shot right. Then having a hard time hitting any moving targets at age 17 switched to shooting left handed. Now Macular degeneration is starting in my left eye. I may have to switch back to right hand at 62.

I have never been a bird hunter however I have shot instinctive longbow since 1976 and am not sure how that will go. I will be 62 later this year myself. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickey1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2014 at 18:32
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

How exactly do you shoot a rifle right handed while using your left eye?  WIth a hand gun that is easily possible, but with a rifle you can't just switch your eye like you can with a handgun. 

Having put my rifle in hand and tried to position my left eye behind the scope it does not seem feasible unless I had incredibly high mounts. I can see through the scope left eyed but only peripherally. I have a friend with some of those shoot under scope mounts (I always hated them) but I will try looking through his setup next trip his direction. In the meantime I think t will keep looking for a post reticle I can try.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2014 at 19:06
most of the really good shooters I have known to do it, don't  try to align the center of the axis of the eye or pupil have the left eye pointed or turned more to the left, than would be normal, some with their chin almost over the rifle as opposed to the cheek. Even the ones that shoot regular skeet and trap. The amazing thing was they never closed the right eye, as a right dominate shooter will try to close the left. They say its even easier with a shotgun because they do not focus on the front site as they do with a handgun so, not a problem
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2014 at 20:36
Lol, i bet that looks pretty funny when shooting like that.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickey1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2014 at 06:05
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

most of the really good shooters I have known to do it, don't  try to align the center of the axis of the eye or pupil have the left eye pointed or turned more to the left, than would be normal, some with their chin almost over the rifle as opposed to the cheek. Even the ones that shoot regular skeet and trap. The amazing thing was they never closed the right eye, as a right dominate shooter will try to close the left. They say its even easier with a shotgun because they do not focus on the front site as they do with a handgun so, not a problem

Does the technique you are describing apply to shooting a scoped rifle right handed using the left eye or are we talking shotgun? If rifle, I would love to see someone illustrate it because I cannot picture in my mind what to do.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickey1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2014 at 06:27
I have been looking through the SWFA site for scopes with post reticles and found only one so far BC39X40NO3 Leatherwood 3-9x40 Buck Country Rifle Scope. Even though it was inexpensive I decided to order it. If it solves the problem then I can consider getting a better quality scope from the Leupold custom shop as someone suggested. If a post won't help then I can invest in a left handed rifle instead if it comes to that and stay with my Buckmaster. I still would like to figure out the technique to shooting right hand and left eyed I have seen mentioned here and in other forums on the net but it seems best to pursue all my options at this point.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickey1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2014 at 13:06
Probably a final post here on this topic to summarize what I have tried and what works best. I don't think any reticle can totally compensate for the issue. I tried a very high shoot through mount and found that I could shoot right handed but look through the scope with my left eye. But the best advice so far has been from a left handed shooter in my office who told me how to operate a right handed bolt with my left hand. It is a lot less awkward than shooting left handed and swapping to my right to run the bolt. I think of the options available and I have tried this is the best plan for me. I appreciated all the information you guys provided and am satisfied I have researched the most reasonable options and have a good plan to go forward with. Good shooting to you all!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic