OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New scope Zeiss Conquest HD5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Blackhorn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackhorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New scope Zeiss Conquest HD5
    Posted: February/16/2014 at 22:23
Anyone have experience with Zeiss customer service? Their no fault 5 year warranty seems pretty solid, just wondering what its like after that.
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2014 at 23:32
Congrats -- I suspect you'll like that choice in scopes.  (I've looked thru a lot of HD5s in my recent round of scope shopping, and have come away impressed each time.)  And I don't think it's odd at all to use hydrophobic coatings as your deciding factor.  Glass quality, mechanical features/robustness, reticle options, and coatings all take on different values as the application changes.  Like you, hydrophobic coatings are an important factor for me when comparing scopes for hunting applications, and I'll look past other features before I look past that one. 
Blackhorn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackhorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2014 at 23:02
   Well after much research (thanks in large part to this board!) and weighing pros and cons I decided to get a new Ziess HD5 3-15X42 with lockable turrets over the Swaro Z5 3.5-18X44 BT. 
     I'm quite aware that the Swaro is a better quality scope, but I got a great deal on the Zeiss which even at regular price offers a lot of features for the money. In the end I didn't feel that for my particular usage (to sit atop my muzzleloader for ranges up to 400 yards max. during legal shooting hours) that I would be benefitting fully from any advantages the Swaro had to offer over the Zeiss.
     Funny thing is, the one thing that tipped the scales in favor of the Zeiss, even more than the $700. price difference, was the lack of a hydrophobic coating on the Swarovski. While it may not seem worth mentioning when shooting at the range on a summers day, it can be a game saver when hunting in a hard rain or blowing snow.
      Many other companies from Bushnell to Zeiss , Leica, Meopta etc. offer their version of a water repellant coating, I just found it snobbish on Swarovskis part not to. Maybe its just me, and time will tell if I made the right choice or not, but for now, the bottom line is it cost them a sale.
      The scope should be in sometime next week and I'm looking forward to mounting it on the rifle. Would appreciate any opinions from those that have had a chance to use this scope to get an idea of what to expect.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic