OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sighting in a scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sighting in a scope
    Posted: June/13/2006 at 09:24
I'm thinking about sighting in my new burris ff II tonight.  I've sighted scopes in before, but was just wondering what kind of tricks you guys use to make the process go quicker and smoother?  I'm always up for learning new things that make life a little simpler.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2006 at 14:05

Boresight it first.

ranburr

Sneaky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2006 at 15:41
Forgot to mention I did that part already,
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2006 at 19:35

Shoot her in, Brother.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
PaulKreuger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulKreuger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2006 at 06:01

Does anyone use the laser devices you attach to the end of the barrel to sight the scope in from the scope?

Have seen these for sale and curious how good they are.

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2006 at 13:52

Once you're close enough with boresighting, you can sight in with two shots if you've got a scope you can see bullet holes with.  Center your crosshair on the target and shoot one shot.  Then center your crosshair again and use the elevation and windage knobs to move the crosshair on your first bullet hole.  Shoot one more bullet and it should be exactly where you are aiming. 

This works great for a quick sight in.  I usually go ahead and shoot a group just to make sure, but I've never been too far off.

Sneaky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2006 at 17:39
Yates, I like that idea.  Never have thought of that before but makes sense.  Been too windy up here on the prairie to go shoot.  Hopefully soon though, too many prairie dogs running around.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic