OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Why no anti-fog coating on Swarovski?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackhorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why no anti-fog coating on Swarovski?
    Posted: February/10/2014 at 15:19
   I was just about set to pull the trigger on a Swaro Z5 3.5-18X44 BT but the fact that it does not have any anti fog coating just keeps gnawing at me. I can't understand the logic behind the company's decision not to coat these lenses. 
   Where I hunt inclement weather is the norm rather than the exception, rain, snow and/or sleet and temperatures oscillating around the freezing mark are to be expected. The clearest optical glass in the world isn't worth much if you can't see through it because it is fogged up. Sure you could wipe it off, but in a hunting situation you don't always have those precious extra seconds to spare and extra movement always has the potential to alert the game you're targeting. 
    I've been using a Bushnell elite on my muzzleloader the last couple of seasons and the rainguard coating has made a huge difference. So much so in fact, that I wasn't even carrying the huge wad of Kleenex in my pocket anymore which had become a necessity with the uncoated Leupold scopes I'd been using until then. If busnell could do it on a $300. scope, how much could it add to the price of a swarovski?
    A tech. I spoke with at swarovski suggested using Parkers Perfect anti fog solution on the lenses. There have been mixed reviews on the product and so I was wondering if anyone here had any experience using it?
    I am now seriously considering getting a Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15X44 with locking turrets instead. The anti fog coating is supposed to be really good. Yes the glass is not in the same league as the Z5, but will the swaro give me that much more of an edge in the field- at ranges under 400 yards and during legal shooting times? 
    What I need the most is for it to help me get the job done in any and all hunting situations and climatic conditions I might encounter. Also, I figure getting a custom turret ring from Kenton Industries would pretty much equal the ballistic turret option on the swaro. Right?Poker
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2014 at 15:47
None of them have an anti fog coating.  Some have a coating like Bushnell rainguard or Zeiss Lotutec, but they do not stop fog.  They help moisture bead up lenses instead of puddling.  They also help with dust and greasy crap not sticking to the glass as well, making them easier to clean. 

Even the rainguard and LotuTec will fog up if you breath on them or take them from the inside of your warm jacket out into cold temps.  I have a pair of Zeiss FL binos and I have fogged them up before by doing just that.  But when I get them wet, it beads up nice and falls away.

Here is Zeiss's site explaining how it works.
http://vision.zeiss.com/products/en_de/coatings---coloured-lenses/coatings/lotutec.html#design
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2014 at 15:56
How about the Parker's Perfect?  
Visit the Ed Show
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2014 at 07:53
+1 on the Parker's Perfect.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2014 at 14:10
If I remember correctly from my SLR days the best thing to do when going from 1 extreme temp to another is put a plastic bag loosely around the optic & the plastic will take the condensation not the glass.Maybe Ilya can chime in on this.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
tbob38 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbob38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 08:23
Has anyone used Rain-X on their scope lenses? Is it safe to use?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 09:41
No, it is not safe for multi-coated optics.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 12:06
Originally posted by tbob38 tbob38 wrote:

Has anyone used Rain-X on their scope lenses? Is it safe to use?

No, Rain-X is not safe for optics with mulit-coated lenses.
tbob38 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbob38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 12:44
Thank you, gents.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic