OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 07:30

Welcome Texas Raider!I have a slightly different take on this (not saying anyone above is wrong, far from it, just my views) and they would be this.

I recently got a walking varmint set up put together, ableit a bolt action but with a view mainly to knocking over foxes at sensible ranges.

My choice would be a 2-7 from a decent make (maybe a Leupold VX-3) or if you can find one, a Minox 1.5-8x32 (They seem to have been discontinued but still seeing them advertised).

My reasoning being: at low mags the close in stuff will still be a doddle. If you need more, you have. Also, the lighter, smaller scope will not unbalance the rifle and keep weight down.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your shooting.

ATB,

Scrummy
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
TexasRaider View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 12:06
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

I have to laugh...  He's down to two in the blink of an eye out of hundreds and is lamenting not being able to pull the trigger.  sounds like its the Trijicon

It wasn't really a blink of an eye.  Like I said, I read a LOT over the weekend and came here for more input on my specific scenario.  A large majority have confirmed that (for what I am looking for) a lighted reticle with the most light input for low light shooting was a must.  I narrowed it down as such, eliminating all the ones not fitting into this criteria.  I also wanted the flexibility of a wide range of shooting so the zoom needed to fit within the range as well.  I then researched based on price and brand reputation.  That is how I came with these two that seem to fit what I want/need.  Am I wrong with my that I have narrowed it down to?  I would think probably not.  Are there more out there that might work for me as well?  I am sure there are.  

This is a lot like anything else, tons of opinions and obviously a lot more wrong choices to be made than right, but still a ton that all could be considered "not a bad choice" the way I see it.

I appreciate everyone's input, I really do, as I have researched them all.  And I am glad several chimed in about the GREEN as that would have been a question I would ask for sure!

Thanks again everyone!!!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 12:11
Originally posted by TexasRaider TexasRaider wrote:

I have to laugh...  He's down to two in the blink of an eye out of hundreds and is lamenting not being able to pull the trigger.  sounds like its the Trijicon

It wasn't really a blink of an eye.  Like I said, I read a LOT over the weekend and came here for more input on my specific scenario.  A large majority have confirmed that (for what I am looking for) a lighted reticle with the most light input for low light shooting was a must.  I narrowed it down as such, eliminating all the ones not fitting into this criteria.  I also wanted the flexibility of a wide range of shooting so the zoom needed to fit within the range as well.  I then researched based on price and brand reputation.  That is how I came with these two that seem to fit what I want/need.  Am I wrong with my that I have narrowed it down to?  I would think probably not.  Are there more out there that might work for me as well?  I am sure there are.  

This is a lot like anything else, tons of opinions and obviously a lot more wrong choices to be made than right, but still a ton that all could be considered "not a bad choice" the way I see it.

I appreciate everyone's input, I really do, as I have researched them all.  And I am glad several chimed in about the GREEN as that would have been a question I would ask for sure!

Thanks again everyone!!!

Reticle illumination color preference is a very personal choice.

For example, I do not like green illumination in a scope, especially in low light conditions.

ILya
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 12:27
Easy Tex I wasn't flaming you, I was just amused...  Smile 

You seemingly did do alot of research and came in with a better than usually understanding and list...  You listened to some extremely solid advice and LISTENED!  Cudos to you!  Koshkin by the way is an Optics Engineer that evaluates optics for a living and I might add is extremely objective in his evaluations.  You won't find many that are better and I'm wagering none that are as forth coming and generous with their knowledge.  He will accurately grade the measurable and quantifiable qualities, its just up to you to decide which one pushed your button best... aesthetically.

Have fun while your at it.  There is one here that has probably gone thru  at least 100 scopes since he joined the forum.  Man wouldn't that be the cats wiskers!!!!  Being able to play with and use that many scopes... gotta be one that just calls to you in there somewhere...
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 12:38
This is a decent contender to -
SPL19712 IOR 4-14x56 Hunting 30mm Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view Matte, Illuminated 4A Dot, 1/4 MOA
$999.95

Illuminated - check
Good in low light - check
Within the $100 budget - check
Reputable company - check

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 12:49

Speak of the devil...
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2014 at 00:12

Easy Tex I wasn't flaming you, I was just amused...  Smile 

You seemingly did do alot of research and came in with a better than usually understanding and list...  You listened to some extremely solid advice and LISTENED!  Cudos to you!  Koshkin by the way is an Optics Engineer that evaluates optics for a living and I might add is extremely objective in his evaluations.  You won't find many that are better and I'm wagering none that are as forth coming and generous with their knowledge.  He will accurately grade the measurable and quantifiable qualities, its just up to you to decide which one pushed your button best... aesthetically.

Have fun while your at it.  There is one here that has probably gone thru  at least 100 scopes since he joined the forum.  Man wouldn't that be the cats wiskers!!!!  Being able to play with and use that many scopes... gotta be one that just calls to you in there somewhere...

Hope I didn't come off as defensive, didn't mean to for sure.  I understand though.  I have been on a lot of different threads for various research purposes.  I know a lot come in totally in the dark.  I will say, for all the threads I have been on, this is one of the nicest for sure.  I have seen WAY too many where someone comes in asking a question and they get blasted saying "click here..." or "search here for answers then come back..."  So I just tried to do what I could before posting.  Again, great knowledge and friendliness in here for sure and I do appreciate ALL the input.

I will have tons more questions moving forward I am sure, and I am glad I have a place to ask them.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2014 at 00:49
Dare I ask about mounts?!?!Shocked

stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2014 at 06:00
Give us a price range & the scope you will mount Prices can vary from $40 - $400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would also help if you knew if you wanted Steel,aluminium or alloy.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2014 at 06:37
Ask away!  Though I personally am not that heavy into ARs, there are several here who eat live and breath them.  I seem to remember Seekins being mentioned several times.  I myself use SWFA SSALTs on both my ARs.

Oh and I thank you on behalf of the OT.  We pride ourselves on being tolerant and patient with the newly interested knowledge seeker.  How else are we going to keep our favorite pastime alive and well?  I agree that several of other sites seem to exhibit way to much snobbery and hostility toward newbies.... Even ones WITH vast knowledge but new to their site will get it...  Private club mentality if you ask me...

From what I'm seeing here, I think you'd make a good addition to the OT.  You obviously look before you leap so rash decisions are unlikely. You are respectful of others opinion and feelings.  You have an obvious thirst for knowledge.  And you have the most important thing... you love guns, shooting and optics.  If you've really perused this site you already know how vast the different optics related interests swing here...  Something for everybody...

I have learned so much here about good optics, guns, reloading, mechanical issues and fixes... the list goes and goes just like my mouth...

Anyway....I'm sure you'll get help with mounts too... However you might want to rephrase that rather open ended inquiry as it could get you buried in data from some of our big brains rather quickly Wink

So look around, ask questions and don't be shy... We've all had our shots, Wink a few of us bark but that's just to cover up their big hearts... and most are happy to share their knowledge.  Hopefully you'll get hooked on the OT like I did... wow it's been 5 yrs already... amazing they haven't hung me yet! Cool
--Thomas Jefferson

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2014 at 07:54
This is the one Buds talking about -
SWFA SS AR Tactical Mounts
SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm Scope Mount SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm Scope Mount
Stock # - SS30HSSALT
  • Picatinny MIL-STD-1913
  • Matte
  • Comes with 1" Inserts
$59.95 
 it even has the ability to add caps with rails made into it for a red dot or reflex for close up work -

What I woudl recommend -
SWFA Precision Optic 30mm Mount SWFA Precision Optic 30mm Mount
Stock # - SWFA201300
  • Low
  • Slightly Forward
$209.95 
SWFA Precision Optic 30mm Mount SWFA Precision Optic 30mm Mount
Stock # - SWFA202300
  • 30mm
  • Low
  • Extended
$209.95 
These are very solid mounts.  They hold zero well when taken on and off.  Lockup on the rail is good and they allow you to quickly mount and unmount your scope if you so choose. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2014 at 08:25
thanks G  Howdy
--Thomas Jefferson

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2014 at 16:08
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

$999.95

Call

"Hello....Val?" 
"Sir, did you just call me a liar?"  Whistling
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2014 at 16:50
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

$999.95

Call

"Hello....Val?" 
"Sir, did you just call me a liar?"  Whistling

Not like me to hold a grudge....I've moved on.   

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic