OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie
    Posted: February/09/2014 at 22:26
Hello all.

I am new to the site, found it while searching for scope info via Google.  I have read a lot of threads in here the past couple of days, but really don't think I am any better off than I was beforehand.  I am scope shopping but it seems that (like most everything) there are tons of opinions, which is fine, but it is also so dependent on each and every scenario.  I don't like posting in forums, asking questions and people getting upset because that was answered 9 months ago in another thread I missed!  So I want to describe my specific scenario and see what you all think.  

I currently have three .223 AR's, a Daniel Defense V4, Ruger SR-556 and a Sig 516 FDE.  I want to make one a "varmint" gun.  I currently have 2 EOTech setups.  One is a 516 (I believe) mounted and the other is a kit with the magnifier that came on the Ruger when I purchased it.  I can get exact model numbers if needed.  

We are soon going to build out on land we have and the "neighbors" say there are tons of coyotes out there.  We have even seen a bobcat on the land recently.  The area where I will be shooting is clear, no brush, trees, etc.  We even keep the coastal cut down most of the time.  As for distances, I would guess the average shots will be around the 100 yard range (possibly closer), but depending on scenario, could get to about 300 yards, but highly unlikely.  I would want to have something I could use in about every lighting conditions.  I know when we start discussing night vision it can REALLY get over my head, and way out of my budget.  But maybe something with that as an option?  Again, I started looking and it just seems to keep growing as far as the options available.

I hope this helps but please don't hesitate to ask any questions that may assist me in finding what I need.  As for a budget, well, I would like to stay down in the $6-800 range, but might could expand up close to $1000.  I like quality, but I don't want to pay for something I don't need.  

Thank you all so much in advance for any info you can share with me!

Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2014 at 09:58
Welcome to OpticsTalk! Howdy

Have you decided which one of you M4's you would like to utilize as the go to varmint rifle?
Personally out of the three that you have, I would use the Ruger. All three are great, but the other two, I would use more for tactical purposes or competition.

Honestly, at with that distance, I would keep a shotgun handy. Typically what I have found when predator hunting and using calls, if you have a pack of coyotes or a couple loaners is that with electronic calls and a stimulated distressed feather they will come in cautiously trying to wind you, but they will be running.

Although, in regards to optics out to 300 yards, if your eyes are still sharp, I would suggest something like 1-6 or potentially a 3-9.

The 3-9 is a great general purpose magnification for hunting purposes and for the most part has great low light ability.

I mentioned the 1-6, because on 1X, you FOV is very wide and that will supply you with room to track and lead your targets when needed for the closer engagements.

Here's a list of some options that I would entertain personally.

Blackhawk 3.5-10x50 Tactical Riflescope Blackhawk 3.5-10x50 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - 71TS02BK
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
  • 1/10 MIL Target Knobs
$239.95
Blackhawk 3-9x40 Tactical Riflescope Blackhawk 3-9x40 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - 71TS01BK
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
  • 1/10 MIL Target Knobs
$219.95
Burris 1-4x24 Xtreme Tactical  XTR 30mm Rifle Scope Burris 1-4x24 Xtreme Tactical XTR 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - BUR201905
  • Matte
  • Illuminated XTR 5.56 Ballistic (Red)
  • 30mm
  • Burris 30mm P.E.P.R. Mount
  • FastFire III Red Dot Sight
  • Discontinued, Closeout price.
  • Was $899.95
  • $300 off after 33% savings
$599.95
Add Burris 1-4x24 Xtreme Tactical  XTR 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

Burris 1.5-6x40 Xtreme Tactical XTR 30mm Rifle Scope Burris 1.5-6x40 Xtreme Tactical XTR 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - BUR201909
  • Matte
  • XTR 7.62 Ballistic (Red)
  • 30mm
  • 3" Sun Shade
$739.95
Add Burris 1.5-6x40 Xtreme Tactical XTR 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2014 at 11:47
I would suggest you get this:

http://swfa.com/Meopta-3-12x56-MeoStar-R1-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P7996.aspx

or this:
http://swfa.com/Trijicon-25-10x56-Accu-Point-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P12879.aspx

For your application, where you will mostly have moderate distances to work with, but the target is comparatively small and the lighting is likely to be pretty low, dedicated low light scopes are a good idea.

ILya
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2014 at 11:48
I forgot about that MeoStar! Nice pick Ilya.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2014 at 12:16
Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

I forgot about that MeoStar! Nice pick Ilya.

That Meostar is practically my default recommendation for a low light scope at around $1k (unless it goes onto a rifle with a lot of recoil).

ILya
TexasRaider View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2014 at 12:30
WOW!

Thanks for the input for sure.  And thanks for the recommendation on which gun to use.  That was what I was considering, as I wanted to go more tactical with the other two as you suggested.  

I saw the thread with the new Flir R series and am very intrigued.  To get a thermal scope for around $3500 would be cool and a nice setup to have in the future!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2014 at 12:34
And would you highly recommend an illuminated reticle or what is opinion there?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2014 at 12:49
I guess I should have read the bottom of the first post.  Reticle I am a bit flexible on.  I have typically used a Duplex, but I have a scope on a .308 that has the BDC but I am not a huge fan, primarily because when I used that one the circle seems too big.  The XTR on the Burris would be ok since the center dot seems very small and the crosshairs are there for reference.

When looking at the Trijicon the mini-dot or standard dot crosshairs look good to me.  I don't know, maybe I just like to have the crosshairs for whatever personal reason, when targeting animals.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2014 at 12:54
Originally posted by TexasRaider TexasRaider wrote:

A properly executed illuminated reticle is a very good idea.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2014 at 12:57
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Originally posted by TexasRaider TexasRaider wrote:

A properly executed illuminated reticle is a very good idea.

ILya

You underline and emphasize "properly executed" could you elaborate?  Other than the holographic scopes, I am not educated on these illuminated reticles!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2014 at 13:24
Too many reticle out there are too bright for low light application and have other effects like light scatterring, ghosting, etc.

Meopta and Trijicon both do the illumination very well.

ILya
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2014 at 13:27
I would add Swarovski and Zeiss as well. But the prices associated with them are much more expensive.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2014 at 14:20
Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

I would add Swarovski and Zeiss as well. But the prices associated with them are much more expensive.

Most higher end companies make high quality reticle illumination systems (or buy them from the same company as is the case with quite a few of them).

In the sub-$1k market, you have to be a bit more careful, though.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2014 at 15:26
So I like the two options koshkin put up there with the Meopta and Trijicon.  Now to decide.  The Trijicon is about $200 cheaper, and has the always on illumination with no batteries which I love.  The Meopta has the 7 different levels of illumination which is nice, but having batteries and all that I just don't know if I want to deal with that.  I also like that Trijicon has a lot of options in regards to reticle options.  Both appear to be very solid, reliable options...

ARGH!!!
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2014 at 15:33
Trijicon makes a great scope.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2014 at 16:38
The Leupold VX-R ill reticles are excellent as well.  Would save you a good amount of change over the other two choices.  I am a huge fan of Trijicon and Meopta and own several of their products, but I the VX-R is a great lower priced choice and doesn't give up much.   But if you are okay with spending more Meopta or Trijicon would be great.  I would pick Trijicon as you never have to worry about batteries or turning them on.  Plus it is cheaper.  The green color is best IMO, I have had all three and would pick green every time. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2014 at 17:01
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

The Leupold VX-R ill reticles are excellent as well.  Would save you a good amount of change over the other two choices.  I am a huge fan of Trijicon and Meopta and own several of their products, but I the VX-R is a great lower priced choice and doesn't give up much.   But if you are okay with spending more Meopta or Trijicon would be great.  I would pick Trijicon as you never have to worry about batteries or turning them on.  Plus it is cheaper.  The green color is best IMO, I have had all three and would pick green every time. 

I'm about to give one of those a try in a few weeks.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2014 at 17:12
I have to laugh...  He's down to two in the blink of an eye out of hundreds and is lamenting not being able to pull the trigger.  sounds like its the Trijicon
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2014 at 17:35
Oh and welcome aboard! Howdyhave fun!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 06:50

If you should go with the Trijicon.I once asked Trijicon what was the best color to hunt with & I was told the Green!Just for your edification.

Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic