OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anyone looking for a Red Stag hunt?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 08:56
Awesome critters and awesome pics, REMF!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 11:59
Come on down, Skylar! Hopefully I will get a tag this year, it has been 7 since the last one...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 12:00
Billy how much are we talking?
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 12:01
And REMF, that bull is a TOAD!!!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 17:12
Sky, if you're interested, I'd be up for a road trip to visit our friends Bill and Coby for an AZ elk hunt, even if only 1 of us got a tag and it wasn't me.

I'm considering trying to get drawn in AZ for next fall, in fact.

I LOVE elk country!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 18:01
It would be awesome to hear them bugling from a far and then maybe trying to call them in.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 18:54
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

It would be awesome to hear them bugling from a far and then maybe trying to call them in.

It IS AWESOME!

On one particular call-in, I had a bull bugle from all of 4 yards away.  He blew snot all over me.  That will really let you know you're alive.
-Matt
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 19:28
DEPENDS !!!!!

Big Grin
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 19:36
Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

How much just to pet him and feed him a carrot?

He won't let you near the pen. I tried to put my lens through the panel, and he rushed up trying to maul me.

He's a mean cuss.
Let me guess this was during the RUT ?????  And you were--- not wearing horns --- that look in his eye wasn not a plan to gore you  -- well not antlers anyway.  Saved by the fence. 

This reminds me of helping someone catch their horse the guy was worn out from chasing it and I drove up stopped took a peppermint stick out of my pocket crinkled the wrapper and the horse came straight to me. 

My Young JEDI these things you learn. Serve You They Will.    ---

---sugar the universal language of friendship.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 19:37
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

It IS AWESOME!

On one particular call-in, I had a bull bugle from all of 4 yards away.  He blew snot all over me.  That will really let you know you're alive.

I bet!!!   Big Smile
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 19:39
Excellent
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
10-Ring View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10-Ring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2014 at 18:55

There are a great variety of options for trophy Red stag hunting here in NZ. I have the impression that you're an experienced hunter and certainly an intelligent man. Therefore, you're not going to be the type of person who wants to get the highest scoring trophy animal, irrespective of where it was taken just so you can brag to your buddies what a great hunter you are and in reality aren't. I think you'd want a high quality hunting experience for a decent trophy stag that requires physical effort and at the minimum, decent hunting skills and ability to shoot straight under pressure. That is certainly available.

Free range hunting on private property is your best bet and I would tend to choose the South Island as you then have the option of Thar and Chamois. A trophy bull Thar is a magnificent animal and will give you the experience of a lifetime as they live in rugged alpine terrain and require physical fitness and skill to bag.

Then again, there a some very fine trophy Red stag hunting outfitters in the North Island that could also arrange a hunt for the best deer trophy of all (in my opinion) and that is a trophy Sika stag. Magnificent crafty, cunning animals.

There some very fine hunting on public land e.g. the National parks and state forests administered by the Department of Conservation (DOC for short). If time is important and a trophy a must then private block hunting is a better option.

The areas can be vast and rugged on some of the back country private hunting blocks. They're invariably high country sheep stations or ranches as you guys call them that back on to the Southern Alps or one of the main mountain ranges in the North Island. You have to do your homework, ask a lot of questions and get references.

If you like fly fishing for trout then NZ has some of the best in the world.

Flight time is usually not too much of an issue as flights leave L.A. and fly across the Pacific during the night. You have dinner, a few drinks, watch a movie then go to sleep and wake up almost here.

NZ is a nice, pleasant, peaceful country, very much focused on the great outdoors and sport. You'll enjoy it.

10-Ring View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10-Ring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2014 at 18:59

Oops, the above post was directed at RifleDude - forgot to quote him. What's that ridiculous saying young people use these days? Oh yes, "my bad".

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2014 at 04:44
In order to have a civilized drink on a plane these days, I think you need to fly a foreign airline.  With American airline companies, I think we are only allowed to eat twigs.  

I haven't been on a plane since the ticket takers began wearing rubber gloves.  I would wind up on Death Row.  

Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2014 at 05:04

on a plane...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic