OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Super Sniper Optical Clarity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Sniper Optical Clarity
    Posted: June/11/2006 at 22:06

Guys,

I'm looking to pick up a 10x or 16x SS.  The scope will ride on a 16" AR and will be used to eradicate crows and any other vermin out to or a little beyond 350 yards.  I have heard nothing but good things about the scope.  I own a Nikon Buckmaster and a Burris FF (3-9x40)...both scopes are very clear.  I would buy another similar scope, but I"m tired of having to keep the turret covers in my pocket while hunting so I can index range...and I'm tired of having to paint my turrets to mark where my zeros are.  Also, I messed up and bought a Zeiss Conquest and realized how much clearer a $500 dollar glass is than a $200 dollar glass.  So my questions are  these....how much difference in quality is there between the SS glass and the Ziess glass?  How much difference in quality is there between the SS and the $200 range glass?  The SS has all the external/cosmetic features that I'm looking for.  I just don't want to be disappointed in the quality of the glass.  Thanks for any input.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2006 at 08:45

Well Glass is Glass and when it comes to holding beer the glass used in Zeiss and Super Sniper work equally well for holding Beer. The difference isn't apparent untill you get to the bottom of the Beer and look through the empty glass - even then how one appears depends on how many beers the glass has previously held.

The Super Sniper is excellent quality the Zeiss is TOP quality is there a difference yes but the Super Sniper is quite adequate and a fine choice. I have a SS 10X and and SS 20x and the 10x is a far far better choice.

OR

5214559943 Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest Rifle Scope Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
  • Free $20.00 Zeiss Conquest Baseball Cap w/ Purchase
SWFA: $799.95
More Info... Buy Now
5214509943 Zeiss 6.5-20x50 Conquest Rifle Scope Zeiss 6.5-20x50 Conquest Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
  • Free $20.00 Zeiss Conquest Baseball Cap w/ Purchase
SWFA: $899.95
More Info... Buy Now

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Blue Duck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2006 at 13:39
Thanks.  I would love to pick a Ziess, but those are well out of my price range.  It would be great to look through one of the sunper snipers before purchace.  Thanks for the info.
Ring Master View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Master of the Rings

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ring Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2006 at 18:03

I have one of the SS16 scopes on one of my Tactical rifles. If you purchase the SS16, I think you will know that you have spent $299.00 and received something worth far more. The 16 power is not as bright as the Zeiss, as for quality, it is Top Rate. I shot mine in competition and was impressed enough to purchase another yesterday.

RM

Ron
NRA Life Member
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2006 at 19:21
Originally posted by Ring Master Ring Master wrote:

I have one of the SS16 scopes on one of my Tactical rifles. If you purchase the SS16, I think you will know that you have spent $299.00 and received something worth far more. The 16 power is not as bright as the Zeiss, as for quality, it is Top Rate. I shot mine in competition and was impressed enough to purchase another yesterday.

RM

Well said RM.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Blue Duck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2006 at 20:32
Thanks again for the replies.  I guess I need to decide on a 10 or 16 power now.
catusbill View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catusbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2006 at 20:36
You guys are HARD CORE..... So here is a question if you could answer it honestly and not include your emotions.

So, hypothetically speaking the price was double on Super Snipers or they where not available. (Lord bid you guys would stroke), what would you buy to shot with? Now, be honest and no B.S. like the world will come to an end before prices go up are such a fine scope would be discontinued.

Edited by catusbill
Ring Master View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Master of the Rings

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ring Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2006 at 11:04

My number 2 choice would (Tactical rifles only) be a Nikon 4x16 Tactical, number 3 choice would be either a 6.5x20 or 8x24 Leupold Tactical and number four would be a 6.5x20 Zeiss Tactical. That list is by price. The tracking on the SS is second to none. Clarity and focus are as good as either and the brightness suffers a little. For the value you receive for your dollar, SS in the better buy. I have all the above mentioned scopes on Tactical / Varmint rifles... All my hunting rifles carry Leupold 4.5x14x40 30mm VXIII optics. Thats about as honest as I can be....... no B.S.

RM

Ron
NRA Life Member
Sniper6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sniper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2006 at 23:10

catusbill

If I couldn’t get a SS scope any ware I would go for a Leupold MK4 M1 10X or the variable M1 with an illuminated TMR.

I would defiantly consider the 3-18X42 IOR and the new XOTIC when they come out.

I feel that I would have to spend 800 to 1200 to get an equal or better sniper style scope.

What a great hobby!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic