OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ruger 22/45

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ruger 22/45
    Posted: January/30/2014 at 19:47
Who has one? I'm wanting one but turned off by the poly grip on it. Like the grip angle on it though and not fond of the MKII/III grip angle. I know they have aftermarket frames for the MKII/III but anyone know a maker of aluminum 22/45 frames?

Those that have one, doesn't the poly make it feel really "cheap" in the hand? Its not I don't like poly guns, have plenty, its just when I hold one it feels like an airsoft in my hand. Does it grow on you enough?

Should I just go with a MKII/III and learn the angle?   I really wanted to have the practice with the 22/45 so it was similar to my 1911s
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2014 at 21:56
You should get a 1911 .22. I absolutley love mine. It has become my favorite pistol

http://www.gsg-waffen.de/site/index.php/de/1911-tech-de

Edited by supertool73 - January/30/2014 at 22:01
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2014 at 00:44
If you want to similar to your 1911 I would get a Marvel Precision 22 conversion kit for your 1911. They are very accurate.

http://www.marvelprecision.com/

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2014 at 07:22
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

You should get a 1911 .22. I absolutley love mine. It has become my favorite pistol

http://www.gsg-waffen.de/site/index.php/de/1911-tech-de 

Is it full size? or scaled down?  Run good with any ammo?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2014 at 08:21
I have a 22/45. Yes, I wish the frame was made of aluminum rather than poly, but if it was, it would also be quite a bit more expensive. Nobody makes an aluminum alloy replacement frame in 22/45 style. Trust me, I've looked. I tried to persuade Volquartsen to do it, but they beat to their own drum and prefer their components to be more futuristic looking.

I do prefer the 22/45 grip angle much better than the standard MKIII grip, and I'm not really put off by the feel of the gun, I simply like the idea of metal frames over poly, and that philosophy applies to all guns for me. I'm just old school that way; I don't like the excessive use of "plastic" on any gun, regardless of the benefits and mechanical properties of today's advanced polymers.

My 22/45 is highly modified, however. I mixed and matched parts from a couple of MKIIIs and ended up with only the frame, magazine, and bolt remaining OEM on my 22/45. Mine has a Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite upper (barrel & receiver), all Volquartsen trigger group parts, VZ grips, and I mounted a Trijicon RMR mini reflex sight on top. It's a blast to shoot, and I LOVE it! It SHOOTS too!

Speaking of 1911 style .22's, I also have the GSG 1911-22 ST refers to, and I've been very happy with it as well. It's all alloy and steel, and seems to be decently well-made. Mine shoots very well, with zero failures after approx 1K rounds through it so far. The same mfg makes the 1911 - 22 that Sig Sauer offers; it's the exact same pistol, just with different slide markings/branding. It's a full size 1911 clone, but not "full weight" due to the slide being aluminum alloy rather than steel. Mine has digested everything I've fed it so far with no issues whatsoever. Mostly, I've shot the plane-Jane silver box Winchester Power Point ammo through it, as it shoots that stuff almost as well as the match grade stuff.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2014 at 08:40
I have shot wichester wildcat, remimgton thumderbolt, american eagle, remimgton golden bullet, remington match, winchester silver box. It has shot them all just fine
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2014 at 09:20
Thanks guys.  I like the size of the 22/45 for use with a suppressor so Im still looking towards it.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2014 at 09:53
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Thanks guys.  I like the size of the 22/45 for use with a suppressor so Im still looking towards it.

Well, you're in luck with the GSG 1911, as it comes with a threaded barrel. It has a removable sleeve over the end of the bbl. Simply remove it and voila -- it's suppressor-ready.

It has EXACTLY the same manual of arms as a std 1911, and it's exactly the same size, with exactly the same ergos, complete with grip safety and slide release & safety form factors. In fact, many of its parts are interchageable with std centerfire 1911s. All frame parts are interchangeable. You can change out the grip panels with any grip designed for a (non-bobtail frame) 1911. The trigger is a bit mushy, but you can change the trigger group parts with any aftermarket parts if you wanted exactly the same feel as your 1911 .45. Just like the std 1911, the slide stays open following the last round fired. The magazines even have a similar feel to the .45 mags, as they are thick and substantial feeling for a .22LR magazine.

The best part is it's remarkably affordable, at only around $350. To me, it's an absolute BARGAIN for what you get.

I really only have 1 complaint about it. The finish on the slide is some sort of painted on finish that, rumor has it, isn't very durable. I haven't seen much wear on mine yet, but that is a common complaint with this pistol. However, it's no big deal to shoot it with Duracote or similar finish if yours wears. The sights are o.k. but not great.

But for $350, I'm willing to forgive its minor flaws. It's a helluva good deal! When I first handled this gun in a store, I walked out with it 15 min later. If you're looking for a rimfire 1911 that works and feels EXACTLY like the real deal in every respect, I believe your only choices are the GSG or a conversion kit like the Marvel... but the GSG will give you exactly the same end result as the Marvel kit for considerably less $. The Browning 1911 is nice, but it's a scaled-down "mini 1911." The Chiappa is reportedly somewhat a POS.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2014 at 10:21
I intended to buy a 22/45 as well til i handled the GSG. I have zero regrets. I have put about 2000 rounds through mine and am completely satisfied. After shooting mine my dad bought one for himself as well. Awesome guns all around.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2014 at 11:14
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

The Chiappa is reportedly somewhat a POS.
F me,  maybe not all of them will be...  i bid on a few 1911-22's on GB that were going cheap and actually just got the email I won a Chiappa.... $191 + 20 in shipping so I'll have $221 in it.   Suppose to have 50 rounds through it with 2 mags, fake suppressor, and hard box it came in.  
what ya think -

Edited by SVT_Tactical - January/31/2014 at 11:36
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2014 at 11:42
I dunno, man. I handled the Chiappa side by side in the store against the GSG, and I thought the GSG had much better parts fit. The Chiappa just didn't seem to be as well made in comparison. There was one other objection I had to the Chiappa when I handled it that sealed the deal on the GSG for me, but I don't remember what it was. This was nearly 2 years ago, and I didn't give it any further thought after buying the GSG.

On the plus side, you don't have much invested in it, so it may be just fine. I haven't owned one, so I'm only reporting my impressions in the store, coupled with user reports. As always, YMMV.
Ted

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2014 at 12:42

Just an FYI the Marvel Precision has a threaded barrel option for it also.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2014 at 12:56
I have read the Colt/Walther 1911 22 is a good one also, but I have never shot one.  I held one in the gun store when I bought my GSG, but like the extended beaver tail and round hammer better on the GSG

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2014 at 13:27
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Just an FYI the Marvel Precision has a threaded barrel option for it also.

Yeah, and it's a nice kit and all...but for the price of the suppressor-ready Marvel kit -- with no frame -- you can get an entire GSG pistol, have $120 left over for ammo, and not have to switch your slide & bbl assy back and forth between centerfire and rimfire.

Maybe the Marvel conversion shoots better than the GSG in the hands of someone like Rob Leatham. I can see paying extra if there's a noticeable difference in that regard. However, as well as my GSG shoots already, I think front sight blade coverage and my pistol shooting skills will be the limiting factors before the inherent precision of the respective systems could be seen. A buddy of mine has a Marvel kit, and if there's an achievable accuracy advantage with it over the GSG, it would take a far better pisolero than me to see it.Bandito
Ted

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2014 at 23:50
The Marvel conversions are very accurate and yes most could not tell the difference. And I am one of them. But what did appeal to me was that I would get more trigger time with my 1911 trigger.
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2014 at 00:54
I have the Sig branded GSG 1911 .22, Colt/Walther 1911 .22 and threaded 4" Ruger 22/45.  Both the Sig and Colt have threaded barrels but require separate adapters which cost about $40.  (The Sig 1911 .22 with the fake suppressor may already include an adapter that will work with a suppressor but I don't know.)  I shoot the Sig and Ruger with my Silencerco 22 Sparrow suppressor and have not purchased an adapter for the Colt/Walther Gold Cup yet.  I like all three.  All are accurate, reliable and fun to shoot.  For hunting, precision paper punching and mounting a red dot sight my first choice is the Ruger.  For play I like the Colt best. Between the Colt and Sig the Colt grip frame feels the most like a 1911 to me.  IMO I don't think you'd be disappointed with any of the three and I don't mind the polymer grip on the Ruger with the wood inserts which mine has. 
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2014 at 15:09
The GSG and the SIG will take all aftermarket 1911 parts whereas the Colt/Umarex does not.  About the only thing you can do to the Colt is change grip panels.  The Colt finish is better, but you are more or less stuck with everything else---sights, safeties, etc. ---the gun is that different from the 45s.  

So, the GSG and the SIG really make sense---except the finish is more utilitarian.  

I want one, too.  

Visit the Ed Show
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2014 at 15:42

The GSG is a great base to start with. Just out of the box or make it like you want it.

Just wanted to add support to a right good 22. Only thing I didn't like out of the box was the grips are alittle too sharp in the hand. I like a softer less abrasive feelin grip.

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2014 at 16:29
All three are great.  I've put the most rounds through the Sig/GSG with and without suppressor with no problems and any infrequent malfunctions from any of the three have been due to faulty rounds of rimfire ammo.  Even with cheap ammo function has been more than satisfactory in all three.  Reliability of the two 1911s benefits from shooting rounds with plated bullets if you are shooting high volume with low cleaning frequency.  The magazine safety in both the Sig/GSG and Ruger can be eliminated if it is an issue for how you envision using the gun.  The GSG and Colt have the advantage for magazine capacity.  I shoot several club matches annually to keep tuned up and the Colt 1911 .22 most closely duplicates the feel of the 1911s I use in the matches.  As stated by someone else the GSG has the most flexibility as a base for modifications if you want to duplicate a favorite centerfire 1911.  The Colt is my favorite play gun which is nothing more than my personal preference for the types of rimfire handgun shooting I enjoy the most.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2014 at 19:08
When I go 22 auto I stay Ruger.  Most recent wat the SR22 and it is definately a winner shoots everything.
I like the Mark II version the best but have had the 45/22 and so long as you follow the directions it can be disassembled to clean it but its an effort requiring holding your mouth in just the right position.  The Mark 1 and Mark 2 versions I prefer to the Mark 3 but all I have now is the SR22 and it takes apart easy shoots everything reliably and is double action with a safety plus its less money very fine choice.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic