OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New stock for my 10/22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New stock for my 10/22
    Posted: January/29/2014 at 11:43
I am thinking of replacing my Hogue stock on my Volquartsen 10/22.  Any suggestions as to what I should be looking at.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2014 at 11:54
Dedicated for hunting, punching paper, or hybrid?

Thumbhole or standard style grip?

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2014 at 12:23
Leaning more toward a paper punching use. Very little if any hunting. I have some other 22LRs for hunting. Open to either thumbhole or standard style grip. But would like something that has a shorter reach since I have small hands. With my Hogue I have to roll my hand around the grip to reach the trigger. Also it is a .920 diameter barrel on my Volquartsen.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2014 at 13:11

This is the stock I picked for my tricked-out target 10/22, which has mostly Volquartsen parts. It is the Volquartsen VX-5000 stock...
https://www.volquartsen.com/products/752-vx-5000-stock

For target shooting, it's the shiznit!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2014 at 14:26
Ted, that's downright pretty!

Excellent
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2014 at 14:53
That is HOT!! 
"A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2014 at 14:55
Originally posted by Voodoo6 Voodoo6 wrote:

That is HOT!! 

What he said. Big Grin 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2014 at 15:14
Thanks, gents! Needless to say... the sumbiotch don't shoot half bad either!!!Wink
Ted

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2014 at 16:10
OK Ted level with us schmucks. Is there anything you don't have? LOL. Tis a nifty rifle to be sure.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2014 at 16:48
That is very nice Ted! And I think that is at the top of my list right now.

Can you mount a bipod on this stock?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2014 at 18:49
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Can you mount a bipod on this stock?

Yes. The entire inletted portion of the stock (everything forward of the buttstock section) is black anodized machined aluminum. It has a threaded hole near the front of the forend to accept a sling swivel stud.
Ted

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2014 at 19:16
Thanks Ted. I was looking at the Volquartsen website and see they also have a McMillan Fiberglass Thumbhole Stock as well. But the VX-5000 I think just maybe the one.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2014 at 10:22
Sparky, i have the mcmillan thumbhole on my volq and think it works great for offhand shooting. the flat forearm makes it very stable with the wait of the gun in your palm.  I can also tell you that the mcmillan has a pretty large palm swell in the grip, I measured the length of pull on this stock at about 14''   I do like the leverage you get with thumbhole stock especially when your moving these beasts around in hunting situations. Ted's VX looks like it would be very comfortable as well.
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2014 at 10:41
Nice rifle. And I appreaciate the comment on the pretty large palm swell. That is the problem I have. I have small hands and the reach to the trigger is my problem. On my Hogue I need to rotate my hand around the grip to reach the trigger. I am okay with a length of pull of 14 inches though. It looks like on both of these stocks I will have to rotate my hand around to reach the trigger. I am wondering if that is just something I will have to live with on the 10/22 action. My Rem 700 with a H-S stock has a large palm swell as well, but the reach to the trigger is shorter and I have no problem reaching the trigger with it.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2014 at 10:55
Damn, nice rifles gents!
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2014 at 11:23
I have pretty large hands, but I would characterize the grip on the VX-5000 stock as somewhat thick. However, it's near vertical, so it moves your hand closer to the trigger. Plus, if you're target shooting off a bench or bipod, you're not using a death grip on the stock anyway.

The VX stock's forend is totally flat, though it does have a cool-looking oval cutout machined in the center of the bottom to hollow out the forend and reduce weight. The skeletonized forend gives it a cool, "high tech" look. The perfectly flat, wide forend sits solid as a rock on a rest. It's not a hunting stock for certain. The buttstock shape is perfect for target shooting with a scope. I don't think a more solid platform for a .920" barreled 10/22 exists on the planet. It's kinda expensive, but when you consider that the entire front end of the stock is CNC machined from aluminum bar stock, it's not really expensive for what you get.
Ted

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2014 at 14:41
I see what you mean. Thanks Ted!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2014 at 18:03
I would need one of those if 22 ammo ever comes back.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic