OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope for Schmitdt Rubin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgehorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope for Schmitdt Rubin
    Posted: June/11/2006 at 19:18
Has anyone here mounted a scope on a K31? I have one that I would like to put a scope on but I dont want to use the scout mount. What would be a good mount/scope combo for this rifle 7.5/55 swiss? Thanks in advance
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2006 at 20:32
I have a St.Marie Graphics clamp-on mount on one of my K31s.  It is very solid and works well.  However, the scope is offset to the right a little.  I have no problem with that though.  One problem is that the groove on that mount is sized for rimfire rings which are usually not very robust.  I bought a set of Warne 7.3 medium rings that are made of steel and they work well.

I have a Pentax Lightseeker 2-8x32 mounted on mine.  If you want a scope with a larger objective bell you may need slightly higher rings.

ILya
hedgehorn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgehorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2006 at 20:34
Thanks for the reply ILya. Did you order the mount on the web or buy it local?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2006 at 20:44
I bought it from the web.  Most local stores that I've run into do not stock a whole lot of stuff (and do not know a whole lot about what they sell).  Brownells typically carries it along with a few other places.

ILya
hedgehorn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgehorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2006 at 21:00
I see that there is steel and an aluminum mount. I found them here http://www.grafs.com/fc/browse.php?o=2&p=3455&q=&v=&s= The steel one is very spendy. Is yours steel or aluminum
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2006 at 21:06
Mine is aluminum.  Unless you plan to be pretty rough on it, I do not see why you have to have steel.  I bought steel rings because most rimfire rings are made of soft aluminum rather than an aircraft grade alloy.  Aircraft grade alloy that this mount is machined out of is plenty strong enough.

ILya
AKADave View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKADave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2006 at 11:18

I bought the clamp mount from Brownells. I picked up a Burris Fullfield 3-9X40 wth the Warne 7.3 rings and it fits perfectly.

I havent taken it to the range yet. I may get some time today. Im a little dubious of the single point of contact clamp. I have an M1A and the ol aluminum single screw lug mount sucked because it had so little in the way of an anchoring point prompting me to get the steel ARMS mount which turned my M1A int a 1/2 MOA rifle with match loads.

The ol K31 sure looks good with the Burris on it though!

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2006 at 18:51
It is actually pretty sturdy.  As for point of contact, I think the actual point of contact is a fairly large surface, so I would not be too worried about it.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic