OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New work boots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2014 at 05:15
Stitched soles as you call them are really known as welted and are far superior to direct attach or glued bottoms. It;s the lime in cement that kills leather boots and there isn't a manufacturer that will guarantee any boots used in cement or for that matter manure either.

Whacko
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
deafinoneear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS "RUSTIC"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafinoneear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2014 at 09:03
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

Stitched soles as you call them are really known as welted and are far superior to direct attach or glued bottoms. It;s the lime in cement that kills leather boots and there isn't a manufacturer that will guarantee any boots used in cement or for that matter manure either.

Whacko

Not in my experience.
You'll notice ALL of the top end backpacking/hiking boots have no "welted" sole. The welt its self is a flawed design. Just one example.

http://www.asolo.com/en/products/backpacking-en
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2014 at 09:16
I think most high end military boots are stitched.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2014 at 09:23
i know white's and nick's are as well. They are pretty tough wild-land firefighting boots.
 On the other hand, the danner ICH military boot, is not stitch-down construction.

http://www.danner.com/boots/ich-7-olive.html
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2014 at 09:23
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I think most high end military boots are stitched.  

We make boots for the Army and Air Force in the same plant in Merrill Wisconsin that we make some of our hunting boots and casual shoes in. We also make Filson's boots in the same plant.

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2014 at 09:25
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i know white's and nick's are as well. They are pretty tough wild-land firefighting boots.
 On the other hand, the danner ICH military boot, is not stitch-down construction.

http://www.danner.com/boots/ich-7-olive.html

That's to save weight.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2014 at 09:34
honestly, ive worn out a ton of red wing boots. When i first started wearing them, when i was moving dirt, a pair of the top end red wings would maybe last me 3 months. After i switched to danners, i didnt have that problem. I tried a pair of keene's last year, and in the oil fields they lasted me about 6 months. I sent my danners back in to get re-crafted and wore them. I'm going to bring them back out again this summer, i will continue to wear my mucks until it warms up. Then i think during spring time i will buy a a pair of muck chore st's, i will also wear them after it rains, since i can tuck my pants in them and keep them from getting muddy.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2014 at 11:12
Originally posted by deafinoneear deafinoneear wrote:

Whacko

Not in my experience.
You'll notice ALL of the top end backpacking/hiking boots have no "welted" sole. The welt its self is a flawed design. Just one example.

Fabiano boots are definitely top end and they use welted construction.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2014 at 11:15
I like Chippewas although I haven't had a pair in a long time.  Arctic 50s are now $275!    Shocked

I always get Goodyear Welted stuff so they can be re-built.  I had some real good Timberlands that lasted me a long time.  

I don't buy disposable boots with the soles as part of the shoe.   
Visit the Ed Show

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2014 at 12:29
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

honestly, ive worn out a ton of red wing boots. When i first started wearing them, when i was moving dirt, a pair of the top end red wings would maybe last me 3 months. After i switched to danners, i didnt have that problem. I tried a pair of keene's last year, and in the oil fields they lasted me about 6 months. I sent my danners back in to get re-crafted and wore them. I'm going to bring them back out again this summer, i will continue to wear my mucks until it warms up. Then i think during spring time i will buy a a pair of muck chore st's, i will also wear them after it rains, since i can tuck my pants in them and keep them from getting muddy.

What do you mean "wore them out"? My last Red Wings lasted me 2 years. Dude...your riding around on equipment all day long! Thinking  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2014 at 12:40
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

I like Chippewas although I haven't had a pair in a long time.  Arctic 50s are now $275!    Shocked

Hey, y'all. I found the last pair of Arctic 50's Ed owned. 

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2014 at 12:53

Visit the Ed Show
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2014 at 09:47
Originally posted by deafinoneear deafinoneear wrote:

Whacko

Not in my experience.

I guess I better inform Weinbrenner / Thorogood that welted boots are a flawed design they've only been making them that way for 120 years and so has Red Wing, Rocky, Chippewa and many other footwear companies. I'm sure they will be happy to know that.

Loco

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafinoneear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2014 at 10:14
^Some company's are slow the learn. But, then again it all depends on the use of the boots. In my experience my usage makes welted boot go to pot in six months or less unlike non-welted boots.
To each his own in this case, I guess.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2014 at 10:20
So just what is you use? I have had my Fabiano boots for years.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafinoneear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2014 at 10:27
Mixed climbing. I don't wear boots in everyday life.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic