OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver Super Slam vs Grand Slam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dupree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver Super Slam vs Grand Slam
    Posted: January/17/2014 at 12:54
ok I am looking at a nw scope for my Thompson Venture 270 short mag. I have narrowed my choice down to 2 scopes,
a Weaver Super Slam 2-10x42 or a Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40

I can get the super slam for $335 but the grand slam runs a screaming $215, does the super slams performance justify the 120 price difference, I know its a better scope, and they are both screaming deals, just figured some weaver fans could come forward and share there thoughts.

on a side note I have a Savage 25-06 that i have scoped with a NIkon Prostaff 3-9x40, with the grand slam being so well priced , I wondered how it compares to the nikon i have on my savage, I have a standing offer for 100 cash from a fellow shooter on my prostaff so id only have to come up with 100 more, just wondered how much of an upgrade it would be. Thanks so much guys
Dupree View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dupree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2014 at 15:39
ok let me throw out all that I am thinking, I was also thinking of the Zeiss Conquest in 3-9 flavor, the cheap in me wants to save the hundred over what the zeiss and the super slam cost, but I have the money for them and am leaning towards them of the two which do you recommend ?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2014 at 15:46
I've had all that you mention.  I like the conquest, arguably the best bang for your buck hunting scope there is under $500. 

I like the turrets of the superslam allot though.  If you want to dial in correction then its the way to go, if you set it and use holdovers or never dial in corrections, grandslam would suffice.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Dupree View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dupree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2014 at 16:10
so grand slam vs super slam is it more in the quick adjust turrets then glass quality difference, I love the turrets and lock of the super slam but honestly i wont make adjustments after sight in, it will be adjustment for hunting rather than target
im looking for more long term durability glass quality and dusk performance rather then the turrets
lifesfordeath View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lifesfordeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2014 at 13:03
I personally tried a conquest once and wasn't impressed, I know im gunna be flamed for that comment but it was a big disappointment. IMO the model I compared to a VX-2 lost to the leupold in all aspects of clarity contrast and further resolution..maybe I had a dud?

The glass quality of the grand slam is excellent for the price and the lowlight performance in my opinion is outsanding on the 4-16 model I have. The super slam is very nice but personally I'd keep the extra money and get the grand slam. Just my opinion of course...
lifesfordeath View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lifesfordeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2014 at 13:06
Sorry meant the 4.5-16x40 grand slam I have
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2014 at 15:53
For daylight hunting the prostaff is a nice choice. Very bright, clear, probably worth keeping. I have one on a 17 hmr and for what I do with it no plans for anything else.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
Dupree View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dupree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2014 at 18:18
the prostaff came on my gun as a package deal, it isnt bad but I wonder about putting a grand slam or nitrex on it, for what I can sell the prostaff for  its about a 50 dollar upgrade, from what ive read it seems a worthwhile upgrade, so is there an actual difference in tracking or glass between the super slam and grand slam ?
eas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2014 at 20:06
Of those listed I have used the Super Slam, Nitrex and Zeiss. Keep in mind everyone's eyes are different but I prefer the Zeiss for sure as a hunting scope. I felt it was a tad more compact, brighter at dusk/dawn and a very wide and forgiving eye box. So out those the Zeiss takes it home for me.

That being said the Super Slam is still an awesome scope. Built like a tank and very good glass for the money. The turrets are wonderful as well. I just don't like the Super Slams weight and eye box. As for the Nitrex I have also owned a few and they are really good for the money. Not much weight, good glass, Japanese made and compact in the lower powers. I always assumed the TR2 was the same as the Grand Slam and TR1 the V-series. I don't like the eye relief on the Nitrex.
Greek_Redneck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greek_Redneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2014 at 10:32
I own both the 4-20x50 Super Slam and the 3-10x50 Grand Slam. Other than the turrets the Grand slam is just as good a scope as the super. If you are going to mainly use for big game hunting and leave it sighted at 200 then I would actually prefer the Grand Slam due to the wider eye box. It makes the scope seem even brighter than the super slam because your view isn't so constricted. Its deffinatly worth saving the cash and going with the grand slam. Plus the grand slam does have reset able to zero turrets, so clicking up for a long shot is as simple as twisting off the caps. Don't think the ziess is $200 better than the weaver myself. Grand slam the way to go!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic