OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tripod for Vortex 16-48x65

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockhound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tripod for Vortex 16-48x65
    Posted: January/16/2014 at 08:59
I just got a new Vortex 16-48x65 spotting scope and didnt know what tripod to get....Need advice, I don't know much about tripods.
It's too early in the day for killing princes...
Thefieldster1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2014 at 22:01
Im in the same boat? Any feelings on the Vanguard Alta+ 233AO ?

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2014 at 22:16
How much are you looking to spend?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
rockhound View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockhound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2014 at 22:20
Up to $100 I guess, but if it is a waste of money to buy something that cheap, I wouldn't be opposed to spending more.
It's too early in the day for killing princes...
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2014 at 06:29
I would suggest talking to the people at SWFA I'm sure they can come up with something that will do.Remember it has to be sturdy enough to hold the weight & balance of the scope.

A few other questions,are you traveling with the scope,hiking,hunting or benchrest shooting.Take all these things into consideration as weight & size are a big factor in your decision of a purchase.

I'm sorry I didn't answer your question directly but as you can read there are to many variables.The more elaborate the tri pod the more weight & money goes into the product!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2014 at 06:12
Don't overlook the Vortex brand tripods...... PM sent your way.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2014 at 10:18
Make sure you get a tall enough one, if you going to be standing behind it. Also angled eye piece will keep your system lower and less top heavy. Hope you enjoy you glass Smile   Ernie made some real good points also.... 

Edited by coyote95 - January/18/2014 at 10:30
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
michaelnel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelnel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2014 at 06:53
What tripod you need depends on several factors, most important being "what are you going to use the scope for?"

If you are wanting to use your scope for hunting / birding in situations where you want to be standing up to use it, you obviously need a scope that extends taller than if you are using it while seated at a shooting bench.

Then, if you are using the angled eyepiece version, the tripod can be shorter than if you have the straight through eyepiece.  When it comes to tripods, shorter is more stable.  The picture shown in this thread of the two tripods with the center post extended show exactly how you should not use a tripod.   If you extend the center post you have a monopod sitting on top of a tripod, which is way less stable than having the center post down.

So with a straight scope you need a heavier duty tripod that is tall enough to get to your eye level without extending the center post.  In fact, the best tripods of that size (Gitzo 3 series or clones) don't even have a center post.  A tripod for an angled scope can be set to a lower height which gives you more stability.

If you are using a tripod on rough terrain it is useful to have a tripod where you can set the legs at more than one angle.  Say if you are on a hillside, you might want to have one leg out at a different angle than the others.

Carbon fiber tripods are more expensive, but they have numerous benefits:
1) they are much lighter and easier to carry than aluminum ones
2) carbon fiber damps vibrations much better than aluminum, so the scope picture is more stable and clear

I have a Sirui N-2204 with the KX-20 ball head that I use for photography.  It also does a superb job stabilizing my Vortex Razor HD 16-48 x 65.  However, my own main use for the scope is for spotting bullet holes in targets at the range, and the Sirui is too tall to use comfortably at a seated position on the bench.  For that use, I bought a MeFoto Daytrip tripod in black.  It is mostly aluminum construction and is very stable, small and light.  When I have the legs set at the middle angle it is low and has a wide and stable base.  The ball head works easily and smoothly.  It is so small it fits in a compartment in my Pelican 1500 case that I use for the scope, and I am very pleased with it.

So, think about what you want to use your scope for, and pick a scope suitable for that use.  I cheap, unstable tripod will not work well with a precision optic like this scope.  It would be like putting retreads on a Ferrari.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2014 at 14:03
http://swfa.com/SLIK-Tripods-C2646.aspx
Silk makes a very nice tripod. 
Mine are Bogen/ Manfrotto  tripods and are heavy with expensive heads. If I was bying I would get this (Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Aluminum Tripod + Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Action Ball Head).
In your price range this should work OK but I would prever to spend in the $300+range and have one that will last a lifetime.
Barska Tripod w/ Pistol Grip Head Barska Tripod w/ Pistol Grip Head
Stock # - AF11600
  • Max. Height: 53"
  • Min. Height: 22"
$109.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - February/09/2014 at 14:35

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic