OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

More Options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More Options
    Posted: January/14/2014 at 20:13
A few years ago at the advice of people here I purchased the Zen Ray Ed2 in 8x43. I love the glass and the feel, however i hate how long they are. With the eye cups turned in they are 6 5/8 and extended they are an evan 7" long. If I used them out of the truck all the time it wouldn't be an issue, but they dont fit in the S4 harness very good.

I am seriously considering trading them in for a shorter pair, but don't know where to look. I was thinking of the Mojave Bx-3 in 10x42, but have read about the narrow field of view.

Are there any options in the 5.5 to 6" size range, I'm also thinking of going to a 10x. I primarily use them for deer, turkey, and duck hunting and would like to stay close to what I will get in on trade. I have looked at the Vortex in the 10x42, but I don't want to step down in optical quality necessarily. Just judging by the price differance between the Zen Ray's and Vortex's there. I know Vortex makes good stuff and they stand behind them.

Any thoughts?

thanks
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2014 at 20:35
I would go meopta. They are nice and compact and fit the s4 harness nicely.

http://swfa.com/Meopta-10x42-MeoStar-B1-HD-Binocular-P53700.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2014 at 20:49
That would be nice, but they are about 3x over budget. I would like to stay in the 350 range.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2014 at 20:57
Oh, sorry i missed your budget.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2014 at 06:32

Zen Ray's own ZRS might be worthy of your consideration. It is very close optically to the ED2 but is very short for a 42 mm binocular. Price is within your budget range too. My only concern would be switching from 8x to 10x. The differences in optical performance between an 8x and 10x might be more noticeable than the differences in overall optical performance between the ZRS and ED2.

Other alternatives would be something like the Bushnell Legend Ultra, Bresser Everest, Celestron Granite, Alpen Wings ED, Nikon Monarch 5 or Monarch 7 (though this last one may be slightly above your price point). Hope this helps.
Frank
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2014 at 06:45
The Krueger Caldera is about 5.5" long with the eyecups in the stored position, and the lens covers on. These can be found in your price range.

The Nikon Monarch 7 is about the same size and would be an excellent choice, but normal retails are above your price range. However, they have been on sale in the past, and may do so again.
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2014 at 07:42
What is a good field of view for 8x or 10x binoculars? What are the pro's and con's of a 8x vs 10x? Any thoughts on the Sightron II Big sky or SIII series?
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2014 at 09:16
Just an FYI you might want to check out the sample list. Generally there are some great deals there. And you might find a better bino that is in your price range.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2014 at 09:19
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Just an FYI you might want to check out the sample list. Generally there are some great deals there. And you might find a better bino that is in your price range.

This is an excellent suggestion. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2014 at 09:12
Originally posted by mil169 mil169 wrote:

What is a good field of view for 8x or 10x binoculars? What are the pro's and con's of a 8x vs 10x? Any thoughts on the Sightron II Big sky or SIII series?

I had a nice, long response all typed out and then the power went out here. So, to cut to the chase, in my opinion an 8x42 binocular in your price range should have around a 390 foot field of view to be considered "good". Some models go up to 420-430 feet while others feature FOVs as low as 330 feet.

10x42s typically average around 315 feet. Anything more is a bonus.

I have owned both the Sightron Blue Sky 8x32 and 8x42. Both are excellent values at their price points. I would certainly recommend them. I prefer the 8x32 as it offers optical performance as good as the 8x42 with slightly better contrast and a lighter physical weight.

I have never tried the S III series.

Hope this helps.
Frank
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2014 at 10:26
You might consider the Rick Young binocular harness. It costs about $20, and might be a simple solution for you.  It is a slick bit of gear, weighs next to nothing, you can use it many ways, and it holds the binocular higher on your chest.  Best I've used by a fair margin.

You will not advance any optically from the ZEN ED series at your price.  Optics selections are a balance of compromises.

The two most compact binoculars in your range have been mentioned.  The ZRS HD and the Kruger Caldera.  The ZRS is very close to the ZEN ED in optical performance.  The biggest advantage to the ZEN ED series is the ability to control color fringing in the image.  If that is something you are not sensitive to, then that is a good place to look.  The Caldera is an excellent binocular, I have an 8x42 and it has few flies.

Look for a  field of view around 7.5* in an 8x (393' in line with Franks suggestion).  I'm fine with anything 7* or more.  Look for a minimum 6* fov in 10x.  Use the fov divided by 52.5 to get the angular degree field or multiply the angular degree field by 52.5 to get the width of the fov.  The simple, old fashioned way to calculate a binoculars Apparent Field of View (afov) is to multiply the magnification by the angular degree of the fov.  In other words an 8x with a 7.5* fov has an afov (8 x 7.5) of 60*.  Same afov for a 10x with a 6* fov.  An afov of 60* with this method is generally considered wide angle.

Edited by Klamath - January/16/2014 at 10:35
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2014 at 14:26
If I decide do replace them , I think it would be between the 8x or 10 x zen ray zhs. Do you think the Rick Young harness would solve my problem? What would you do for eye caps? I like that the s4 keeps them covered.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2014 at 14:53
Mil,

Check out the FHF Gear binocular case. I have used a bunch of designs and it is by far my favorite, and it is full coverage.
-Matt
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2014 at 21:37
Originally posted by mil169 mil169 wrote:

If I decide do replace them , I think it would be between the 8x or 10 x zen ray zhs. Do you think the Rick Young harness would solve my problem? What would you do for eye caps? I like that the s4 keeps them covered.

The Rick Young will pack a binocular a bit higher than most.  It should help if your current harness holds the binocular too low.  It is not a binocular case on straps, just a lightweight harness.  I don't really like the case included style myself, but they have their place depending on conditions.  To each their own.

I simply use the ZR OEM eye cups and use a piece of nylon cord to go from the cover to the strap lug.  Most any standard ocular cover/rain guard works.

You can use the Rick Young to carry bandoleer style where the binocular is more or less at belt level .
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2014 at 11:52
I really hate to give up my ED glass. I think I will call FHF and see what size of harness he suggests for my ED2's and go from there. If I decide otherwise, I will refer back to this thread and go through my choices again. Thanks for all the help.
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2014 at 14:17
Has anybody used the Steiner predator 10 x 42's? My dad has a set and I'm just not sure what to think about them. They measure 5.75 overall height with the eye cups turned in.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic