OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR15 pistol question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR15 pistol question
    Posted: January/10/2014 at 10:35
A buddy is thinking about building an AR15 pistol, and I have some stripped lowers coming to my FFL next week. We were thinking about using one of the lowers for the build. My question is: Is there anything special that needs to be done with the registration to make it legal to build a pistol on it.

There is a good chance that in a few years the gun would be resold, and we definitely don't need any legal problems when we do that.

thanks for the insight
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2014 at 10:54

On the 4473 that your FFL files out make sure box 18 is checked other firearm

then on # 29 it list receiver.

If any questions come up refer them to the instructions for the 4473.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2014 at 20:13
The lower is transfered as a PISTOL lower on the original form.  Personally I dont see much point in a  .223 pistol where a 7.62x39  has a larger diameter heavier slug and one can buy the pistol version way cheaper than one can build an AR based pistol.  A good amount of thought should be given to this because you still have a recoil buffer tub coming out the back and sooner or later someone will want to play with a stock on it which makes it an illegal short barreled rifle so beware not to allow this to be done.
The AK pistol does not suffer the rear buffer tube issue and is more compact.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2014 at 13:45
the better conversions, if there is such a thing, use something like bushmasters shorter tube and spring set, coupled with their bolt, (as I recall its lighter). The muzzle blast from the shorter barreled 223 is a real deal breaker.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2014 at 17:36
I know someone with a factory rock river AR pistol I still prefer the AK pistol but honestly they have very limited practicality short of a fire fight in a phone booth.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2014 at 19:40
Bud's had em on sale for like 399, both AK style, 7.62 and 223 a while ago.  Might be worth buying 5 or 10 until the next problem arises....good investment.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2014 at 20:54
I used to think guns were a good investment but the way things are going I dont know.  You could run into problems buying multiple and later selling them at a profit if you dont have an FFL.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic