OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Overboard on my new scope sako a7 -06?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote franki21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overboard on my new scope sako a7 -06?
    Posted: January/09/2014 at 21:31
after much research i decided on the vortex viper 2.5-10x44 hs with precision match rings for a quality all round hunting rig if i get out west into the back country some day  + fun at the 300 yd range.  Starting to second guess myself- dont get me wrong, its great glass and it not a heavy rifle by any means, --  I'v only ever had a fixed 4 on my fathers '06, but it does feel just a tad bulky for the a7. guess ill need to shoot her and see. 
Thoughts?

huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 21:45
It looks great on there.  Well done, sir.
franki21 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote franki21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 21:51
Thanks, the 2.5-10x32pst is sweet too but can't justify the price or the added weight
OK_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 22:26
Looks great! I have that exact rifle (A7 w bell & Carlson and fluted barrel), but I got the .270 and put a conquest 3-9 on it. I love it - shoots small groups!
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2014 at 00:51
I have an A7 in 270 WSM. I bought it specifically because it's light and accurate, but can still reach out and touch. Mine has a 3-9x 40mm Trijicon. I would try to keep the rifle light and fast.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2014 at 06:21
Welcome to Optics Talk.

Looks great. What rings are those?
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2014 at 06:58
As long as the balance and optics suit you, I see no need to change anything. Welcome to the OT forums!
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
franki21 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote franki21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2014 at 07:58
Rings are vortex precision match, lows. Was thinking of getting the viper 3-9x40 with tally one piece rings to compare feel
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2014 at 08:29
Originally posted by franki21 franki21 wrote:

Was thinking of getting the viper 3-9x40 with tally one piece rings to compare feel

Good call. We love the Talley LW's here. Will possibly be a tad bit lighter also. I switched out a Badger pic rail and Seekins rings to the Talleys and could feel the difference right away. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2014 at 08:39
On a lightweight hunting rig I definitely prefer the Talleys over tactical type rings.
Doesn't sound like you are in any kind of rush so order a set of low Talleys and swap em out and see how it handles/feels to you before switching optics.

nice meat stick !
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

franki21 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote franki21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2014 at 08:46
Think I'll try that, is the 30mm tube + 4in eye relief really a"upgrade" in a hunting rig?
franki21 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote franki21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2014 at 09:13
BTW do tallys need lapping? The match rings didnt- one of the reasons I got em
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2014 at 09:41
I never do..
really it is more a matter of if the receiver holes were drilled square with each other.

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic