OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski Z5 4W or Plex reticle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackhorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swarovski Z5 4W or Plex reticle?
    Posted: January/09/2014 at 02:19
     After much research and reflection, I have decided on a Z5 3.5-18X44 as my next scope. It will go atop my Accura V2 muzzleloader with which I may shoot anywhere out to 350 yards on my western hunts to 50 yards or less in the woods around home. 
     The reticle options for this scope are either the plex or the 4W. Every scope I have owned so far has had a plex type reticle, and it is the one I'm most familiar and comfortable using. For me, the biggest plus of a plex type reticle is the way it draws your eye towards the center and on target which helps in getting the shot off quicker at deer moving through brush at close quarters.  
     I've also read a lot of favorable reviews of the 4W.  However, whenI looked at one the other day, the sight picture appeared much less cluttered with the 4W covering a lot less of the target. I'm wondering if it will be slower to get on target when a shot has to be taken in a hurry. My other concerns are: is the thin reticle still easy to pick up in mixed woods in fading light? And are the windage compensation hash marks really that useful on shots 350 yards and under? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 10:44
I hae never had a problem with that exact scope during legal shooting hours, even past, with it being to thin to see.  Its not a bold as the plex but not far from it.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 11:05
I will be getting a z6 2.5-15x44 in today with that reticle and will do some low light testing and report back.
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 11:52
For what it's worth: 
I have identical or almost identical scopes with the same reticle (#20 Zeiss Plex) on 4 different firearms (3 of them Sako 85) used for hunting. The triggers are all adjusted for the same pull of weight. 
This type of familiarity seems important to me. I did look at the 4W reticle by Swarovski (but not the model you mention)and it did seem too thin too me. I wished the thin lines to be thicker and the thick lines to be closer together.
Switching to a different reticle may seem a bit uncomfortable, even if the scope is very competent. 
If the scopes that you have worked for you, why not buy another (with similar reticle and better optics)? I took that approach. 
I am getting a Conquest with a #20 Plex for my muzzle loader.     
Blackhorn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackhorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 11:56
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I hae never had a problem with that exact scope during legal shooting hours, even past, with it being to thin to see.  Its not a bold as the plex but not far from it.

That seems to be the general consensus.  With what you now know having used one yourself, if you had to buy one scope to put on your goto gun would you still opt for the 4W as an all round reticle or go with the plex?

Thank you ccoke! I'm looking forward to reading what your impressions are.
Blackhorn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackhorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 12:19

If the scopes that you have worked for you, why not buy another (with similar reticle and better optics)? I took that approach. 
I am getting a Conquest with a #20 Plex for my muzzle loader.     
[/QUOTE]

That thought has been echoing in my head from the very start. I guess what had me looking elsewhere is hearing so many people refer to the plex as being old fashioned and plain blah. I want to keep a opened mind about the 4W seeing as there have been a lot of satisfied users of that reticle and although I do not doubt their reviews, I am really just trying to decide what will be the best fit for my needs. How useful are those windage hash marks at shots under 350 yards?
     To be honest, my preferred reticle design that Swarovski offers is the 4. It is basically a plex but the upper vertical post is just a thin wire. Unfortunately, it is not available in the Z5 when you choose the ballistic turret option.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 13:32
Most of my muskets leave burn marks on the scope.  I have tried numerous scopes so far the most acceptable in actual use was a Nikon Muzzleloader scope which had really so so glass but works very well for estimating where to hold. I zero the 200 yd mark at a known distance 200 yd target then check the other distances.  I actually have a much more expensive Minox  scope on that musket now but it does not serve the purpose nearly  as well.   The Minox does have good glass but I may have to switch back to the Nikon to get the more useful reticle or to the Leupold version. 
Nikon 3-9x40 Inline XR Muzzleloader Riflescope Nikon 3-9x40 Inline XR Muzzleloader Riflescope
Stock # - NIK6792
  • Matte
  • BDC 300
  • 1"
  • Generous, Consistent 5-inch Eye Relief
  • Fully Multicoated Optical System
  • Hand-turn 1/4 MOA Adjustments
  • Spring-Loaded Zero-Reset Turrets
  • Spot On Ballistic Match Technology
  • Quick Focus Eyepiece
  • Waterproof
  • Fogproof
  • Shockproof
$199.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 13:38
If I was brush hunting I would rather use this.
Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR24R
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
$892.50 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Blackhorn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackhorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 15:00
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

If I was brush hunting I would rather use this.
Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR24R
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
$892.50 
I can see why! That would certainly work very well in that situation. Thing is I'm trying to get my muzzleloader/scope combo to do it all- close range in brush and long range in open field and prairie. I know I'm going to have to make compromises to find the right balance. I think I can come close to that with the Z5 3.5-18. Which reticle to go with is still up in the air.
  I've have no problems with soot from blowback on the Accura. The breech and primer pocket are pretty much sealed as it comes from the factory. Any remaining traces I was able to eliminate with micro shims from the manufacturer which allowed me to adjust the headspace to achieve a perfect crush fit of the 209 primer in the primer pocket. Spent primers are as clean as when they went in. Only sign of soot is on the very end around the flash hole.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 16:11
It is by far my favorite hunting scope. if i could afford it I'd have the exact same Z5 3.5-18x44 with BT 4W on every hunting rifle I have.  
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 21:54
I got the scope in, Z6 2.5-15x44
Oh man...
Stunning glass
Better than my SB and the Leica 3-2x50 I am reviewing

Just amazing

As to the reticle, no problem in low light as far as I am concerned.

Blackhorn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackhorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2014 at 00:41
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

I got the scope in, Z6 2.5-15x44
Oh man...
Stunning glass
Better than my SB and the Leica 3-2x50 I am reviewing

Just amazing

As to the reticle, no problem in low light as far as I am concerned.

Wow! Good to hear! Do you have a Z5 to compare it to? If so, do you see any difference in the optical quality between the two? (Just curious)
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2014 at 07:55
no, I don't..
the Z6 models over 12x use HD glass so it should be a bit better.
This scope will not be going back.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic