OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Leupold VX-R Patrol Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quesnel20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Leupold VX-R Patrol Problems
    Posted: January/08/2014 at 18:29
Hi there, I recently bought a new Leupold VX-R patrol 1.25-4x20 and I have noticed that in dim light under illumination the bottom half of the vertical post glows alongwith the firedot reticle. Has anyone ever experienced this? I have spoken to multiple guys over at Ar15.com and none of them have seen this type of problem.[IMG]http://[/IMG]
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2014 at 19:05
Telephone
1-800-Leupold
1-800-538-7653

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Quesnel20 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quesnel20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2014 at 19:18
Yes I've called them a few times and talked to a couple different people. I sent them multiple pictures over email and they really couldn't tell me if it was normal or not. They said I could send it in and they would "take a look at it", but I really don't want to send it out if they are just going to send it right back. That is why I am asking every VX-R owner I can find what they think. Thanks
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2014 at 21:45
To me it looks like reflections caused by the illumination set to bright for the conditions. Dim the illumination and check if the problem is still present.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2014 at 22:05
I agree with 3 tens... turn down the illumination and march on!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Quesnel20 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quesnel20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2014 at 22:21
Yes I know the illumination is too high for the conditions, but I just use that picture so people can see it more clear. It also does it in the daylight but it is harder to pick up on camera. Also, most people I have spoken to with VX-R's say they can turn it up to full illumination in pitch darkness and not get any kind of light bleed. That is why I am still trying to find out if any other VX-R owners have ran into this, because so far no one else has.
topbrass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topbrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2014 at 22:49
Send it back for warranty repair!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2014 at 23:08
Slamming the scope on a public forum without giving Leupold a chance to make amends is is not very sporting.  SEND IT BACK. It is the only way to get it made right.    Boo Hoo
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2014 at 23:13
I have a couple of them and mine do not bleed like that on any brightness. Something must be a bit out of whack
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 06:09
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I have a couple of them and mine do not bleed like that on any brightness. Something must be a bit out of whack

Agreed.
I have one and it doesn't do this even on the highest settings. Something is wrong. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Quesnel20 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quesnel20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 08:50
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Agreed.
I have one and it doesn't do this even on the highest settings. Something is wrong. 

So even at full illumination in dim/dark light, you have absolutely none of what you saw in my picture? The only reason I ask is because the first guy I talked to at Leupold told me this was normal. Again, I know that using full illumination in dim light is counter-preductive, but I ask simply for comparisons sake.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 09:07
I looked at mine again this morning and with one of them in pure darkness on full blast I get a tiny bit of the reticle to be lit up at the very very bottom.  The other one I saw no bleed at all.  But one step down in brightness and even in pure darkness it completely went away.  Which for me would be fine as I never us a lit reticle in daylight and at low light I won't have it at high. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 09:49

Full illumination. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 09:52
I did have "some" illumination on the very bottom of the post like you did on the highest setting. 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 10:43
Pulled a brand new patrol out the box last night to check,  no bleed in pitch dark room like you show. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Hillbilly_B View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillbilly_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2014 at 06:08
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Slamming the scope on a public forum without giving Leupold a chance to make amends is is not very sporting.  SEND IT BACK. It is the only way to get it made right.    Boo Hoo

I don't see any 'slamming' going on here. The guy seems to be just trying to get feedback from other users. This seems a little quick to the trigger to me....give the guy a break........jeez
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2014 at 01:24
"Is that all there is... is that all there iis... if that's all there is, my friennnd... then let's keep daaaancin'... let's break out the boooooze and haaaaave... a ball..."
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2014 at 10:12
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Agreed.

I also agree with these guys. I looked at one I use and it doesn't work like that.

Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2014 at 09:26
 Let's try to stay focused on the topic at hand and not point fingers at other members contributions.  This reply, does not help the post creator with his situation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic