OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

High End Scope Choice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2014 at 22:10
I just dont see how one could shoot 550 to 800 yds with consistent hits without dialing in correction is why I was mentioning the high end tactical scopes.  Im not a big fan of tall turrets but the US Optics EREK leaves me feeling like it wouldnt be a bad choice.  Jeff I know you have had one of those but Im not sure why you switched to the Premier. I keep finding myself wanting one of these high end tactical scopes really badly although Im pretty happy with my SS 5-20x50.
SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope Illuminated Mil Quad SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD520X50MQI
  • Patented First Focal Plane Illuminated Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • HD Model
  • Locking Ocular Adjustment
  • 0.1 Mrad Elevation & Windage
  • 10 Mils Per Revolution
  • 30 Mils Of Total Travel
  • Side Focus
$1,499.95 

SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD520X50MQ
  • Patented First Focal Plane Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • HD Model
  • Locking Ocular Adjustment
  • 0.1 Mrad Elevation & Windage
  • 10 Mils Per Revolution
  • 30 Mils Of Total Travel
  • Side Focus
$1,299.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
6.5x47 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6.5x47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2014 at 21:28
Do my deceive me, or did Premier finally find that buyer they were looking for?  Looks like Tangent Theta did a "complete redesign" to fix all the lingering issues with Premier.  I hope Tangent Theta does well, and has in fact perfected these scopes!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2014 at 08:49
Ufriend, my issue with USO (in years past) was that glass ranged from "OK" to "pretty good", but never beyond that.  The EREK is still, by a significant margin, my favorite elevation turret: the clicks are perfectly spaced, the feel and sound are very distinct without being too well defined, and the format - low turret with lots of clicks - is just awesome.  IOR tried to replicate the large turret but failed, in my opinion, due to flimsy construction and clicks that aren't as clear.

That said, I still like USO for special-purpose scopes; when nothing else fits the niche quite right, USO will build what does. Aside from that, many other makers have stepped up their game and offer a scope that competes quite well with the USO lineup of common setup scopes.

On Premier's getting bought, yes, it is good news.  The Premier optics do have a few imperfections that need to be ironed out, and I have high hopes that the new owner will do just that.  The new owner has also said they will continue servicing the old Premiers, so I won't be selling mine any time soon.

340Master, have you made a choice - and a purchase?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
manderson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2014 at 05:22
I'm having the same problem.  I want a high end scope, but not primarily for hunting.  I have a new Sako 85 Hunter in 270 caliber.  I'm having my local smith do some accurizing work on it, and I want to add a really nice scope for accuracy up to 500 yards, maybe more.  I had pretty much narrowed it down to a Swaro or S&B, but always open to other suggestions.  What do you think of the S&B 5-25x56 Police Marksman LP 34mm with illuminated FFP P4?  Too tactical for your needs?  I'm wondering if 56 is too big.  I know we have different applications, but we're in the same boat in wanting a nice scope, and thought I'd chime in here rather than start a new thread.  I agree about not wanting a real busy reticle.
miragetex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miragetex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2014 at 09:31
All of these suggestions have merit, but I'm not sure why so few people have mentioned one of the VX6 Leupolds.  Sounds like your VX3 handled the recoil and enabled you to shoot sub-MOA groups.  I'm not sure how much you can "upgrade" from that level of performance.  If you need more magnification, why not stay with the brand you know and just move up to a model that provides the mag you want?  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2014 at 10:39
Manderson, accurize a Sako?  Did it need it? 
Miragetex, discussing  sub-MOA groups fired on a bench is VERY different from sub-MOA groups fired in the real world.  Leupold has stepped up their game a bit in the past few years, but still sell on 20+ year old reputation.  While they sat back and made lots of money, every other company kept innovating and moving forward.  Leupold has come back strong recently, but theya re playing catch-up in terms of quality (not price!)

Lastly, be mindful that a huge scope on a relatively light rifle make for an unwieldy combination.  For a sporter rifle like a Sako Hunter, I'd stick with something a little more svelte than a 56mm objective tactical scope.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2014 at 14:14
On the other hand…

However, that IS a hunting scope… Meopta Meostar 3-12x56 on Voere Shikar 300WinMag.  I went stalking, squirrel hunting, with it yesterday and though all I saw was hawks and crows, I found acquisition quite good and had no problems going through the woods with it.  I spent half the time in a stand searching for a big buck (I found out this morning someone ran over the buck I was after with a car day before yesterday), and it makes for very nice low light hunting.  
Everyone has different likes and dislikes… to me, enough gun and enough scope are primary… ain't no such thing as too much gun…

Others think differently...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2014 at 15:11
Kickboxer, what's your take on that Meopta you have?  Is that an R1?  I'm looking forward to the R2's they have coming out this year. 
manderson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2014 at 21:46
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Manderson, accurize a Sako?  Did it need it? 

Lastly, be mindful that a huge scope on a relatively light rifle make for an unwieldy combination.  For a sporter rifle like a Sako Hunter, I'd stick with something a little more svelte than a 56mm objective tactical scope.
I don't know that the Sako needs anything.  It's brand new.  I have a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight with my smith right now having a recoil pad put on, and when I pick it up I am going to have him look at the Sako.  He's a real honest person, so if it needs nothing he will say so.  I thought having it bedded might be in line.  Anyway, like you I am still thinking that 56 is overkill.  My other choice is the Swarovski 3-18x50 Z6i or 5-30x50 Z6i, with the 4W-I or BRH-I reticle.  Really tough decision buying a new scope.  There's so much good stuff out there.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2014 at 00:27
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Kickboxer, what's your take on that Meopta you have?  Is that an R1?  I'm looking forward to the R2's they have coming out this year. 
Yes, it is an R1… one of the best scopes I have, unequaled in its role.  

I think the R2s will be outstanding, as well.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
manderson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2014 at 03:34
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Meopta Meostar 3-12x56 on Voere Shikar 300WinMag.  I went stalking, squirrel hunting, with it yesterday...  to me, ain't no such thing as too much gun…
So you don't think the 300WinMag is a bit overkill for squirrel hunting? ClownLaugh
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2014 at 09:10
It always depends on the squirrel. Some of those alien zobie killer attack squirrels can be pretty tough but there is one thing for sure 300 WM is the right answer for anything in the woods that and its beltless brother 300 WSM are my favorites. If  your  going to shoot something might as well hit it hard. For a hunting rifle I usually run a Tikka 300 WSM with a Conquest Rapid Z800 4.5-14 which for me seems like a good combination.  I tend to not take the heavier tactical gear along hunting primarily because my 300 WM GAPrecision gun has a Leupold on it and I hate the tall knobs - something which could change soon with the new SWFA grand opening which I plan to attend. I think Rancid Coolaid has had all of the best scopes. I need to lay the Heinsold, Premier and US Optics next to each other and actually get to compare first hand is that is possible. Not an easy choice by any means once you get into that price range they are all very very good.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2014 at 10:35
Originally posted by manderson manderson wrote:

I don't know that the Sako needs anything.  It's brand new.  I have a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight with my smith right now having a recoil pad put on, and when I pick it up I am going to have him look at the Sako.  He's a real honest person, so if it needs nothing he will say so.  I thought having it bedded might be in line.  Anyway, like you I am still thinking that 56 is overkill.  My other choice is the Swarovski 3-18x50 Z6i or 5-30x50 Z6i, with the 4W-I or BRH-I reticle.  Really tough decision buying a new scope.  There's so much good stuff out there.
For that rifle, and the stated use, the Swaro (3-18X illuminated) would be my choice.  I have hunted that scope, it is a great piece of gear: near or far, you are covered.

As Kickboxer said, everyone has preferences.  I have hunted some very thick stuff (at times so thick that an animal 30 yards away - and visible - cannot be recovered without heavy equipment and hours of picking thorns from places that do not react well to thorns.)  That said, I prefer smaller scopes (1-4, 1-6, maybe 3-9) due to short, fast shots and the need to move quietly through difficult terrain and foliage.  In those environments, illumination is a good thing, as is a scope that doesn't snag easily.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2014 at 13:55
RC, just a question… you ever hunted in "The Big Thicket"???  Sounds kind of like what you were describing.  I have not been there in a long time… I, personally, have never hunted the "Thicket" with a scope… and I fully agree that in those types of conditions, a smaller footprint scope would be HIGHLY desirable...

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2014 at 08:47

What would you compare the glass in that R1 with?  I was talking to a high ranking Meopta guy last week, and he says ( I know, take it with a grain of salt) that the R2 2.5-15x56 will be the brightest hunting scope on the planet, including Z,L,SW, and S&B.  I personally am guessing it will be splitting hairs, but we'll see. 
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2014 at 18:01
The release of the R2 in the 2.5-15x56 really piqued my interest, as the magnification range fits perfectly with what I'm looking for right now.  The lack of any parallax adjustment, and the limited reticle offerings however, limit its versatility to the point that I'll stick with the R1. 
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2014 at 09:27
The #4, 4C reticle in the Meopta scopes is very impressive.  As good as the R1 is, I think the R2 is going to turn some heads, especially from Swaro Z6 guys. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2014 at 10:21

What would you compare the glass in that R1 with?  I was talking to a high ranking Meopta guy last week, and he says ( I know, take it with a grain of salt) that the R2 2.5-15x56 will be the brightest hunting scope on the planet, including Z,L,SW, and S&B.  I personally am guessing it will be splitting hairs, but we'll see. 

Meopta R1 glass is better than Zeiss Conquest... not quite Diavari-class.  The R2 is supposed to be better and I tend to believe that.  Meopta, if anything, under promotes its "goodness"...  Every one I have ever picked up has been better than I expected. 
I used to see a guy out at the range every couple of weeks... he introduced me to Meopta.  He replaced every scope he had with Meopta... (Leupold)... last time I saw him, which was sometime back, the count was 9.  I got to shoot with a lot of different Meopta scopes before I ever got one... it was a real treat. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2014 at 10:39

RC, just a question… you ever hunted in "The Big Thicket"???  Sounds kind of like what you were describing.  I have not been there in a long time… I, personally, have never hunted the "Thicket" with a scope… and I fully agree that in those types of conditions, a smaller footprint scope would be HIGHLY desirable...
I had to look that one up!

The place I hunt is outside of Laredo, near the Callahan Ranch.  With the rain they've had this year, it was thick, thick, thick!  Everything has thorns, grows like crazy when it gets water.

I shot a pig last year just before last light, it ran about 20 yards then dropped.  From the road, I could see the pig (I intentionally shot the white spotted one so I could recover it) but I could not get to him.  I considered belly-crawling to get him, but decided against it.  He was the smallest of a pack of about 10 and they were in there with him.  Belly crawling into a 200-pound, pissed off hog in no light: no bueno for caca!

It is fun to hunt there, and I have since moved to shooting everything with a 300WM.  The property owner, rightly so, does not appreciate unrecovered game animals.  I am a Barnes TTSX convert, have been since hunting South Africa.

Someone having recently resurrected my old 101 thread, it is probably well past time for a "hunting vs. tactical scope" version.

I'll get to work on it!
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2014 at 14:15
RC, have you seen one of those blue indigos down there yet?  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic