OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

High End Scope Choice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 340 Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High End Scope Choice
    Posted: January/07/2014 at 09:12
Happy New Year to All,

I would appreciate feedback on my scope choice for my 340 Weatherby Magnum.  I had a Leupold 3.5 - 10  Vari X Three on the gun for years which in combination with my handloads consistently shot 5/8 moa groups at 100 yards.  About a year and a half ago I decided to upgrade the optics and bought a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 x 44.  I was really disappointed in the Conquest as it seemed to be defective out of the box;  would not track in any predictable way or hold zero.  I took it off and reinstalled my old Leupold and went right back to shooting 5/8 moa groups.  I sent the Conquest off to Zeiss and they sent a new one back to me.  This one tracked fairly well but still does not hold zero very well; won't shoot better than 1.5 to 2.0 moa.  Zeiss insist these scopes will withstand the recoil of the 340 WM but I have doubts. 

I am seriously considering upgrading to a Zeiss Diavari Fl 4-16 X 50 and would like input on the durability under fairly heavy recoil and optical performance particularly in low light situations.  The reason I want the higher magnification is twofold;  where I hunt I have clear shooting out to 550 yards with the last 100 yards being in the shade, and I occasionaly like to shoot targets out to 800 yards. I believe there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum and I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

Bob
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2014 at 23:16
I had a .340 Weatherby for several years and just sold it this past fall.  I had Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX III's, Conquest 2.5-8x32 and Kahles 3.5-10x50 KX's on this rifle and never had any issues.  However the 2.5-8x32 is the Conquest scope which Zeiss recommended for heavy recoiling rifles.

I also have a Diavari V/VM which I have had for about 12 years now.  The Conquest is not a comparable product to the Diavari Victory's which cost 3+ times as much and are 30mm tube for stiffness and ruggedness.  I don't think that the Conquest MC scopes are intended to compare equally to the Diavari V/VM scopes with T* glass. 
CDR3
Chreos View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chreos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2014 at 00:08
I would go for at least 50 lens and and 12 magnification. There is a Kahles K624 TT, for your shooting needs I would buy this one, ... and it is less then a Diavari in price!
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2014 at 08:34
I ran that exact scope 2 years ago for review
Fantastic scope
Be aware though, at least for me I had to dial the mag back to like 12 in extremely low light..

There is one on the Samplelist for about 1600 that has the AVS turret setup for a 7 mag running 150g at 3100 FPS, I bet that is the same one I had.  It matched my 280 Ackley well.

Another option would be a Z6, I have a 2.5-15x44 with elevation turret and the 4w reticle due in today..

I decided to go with the 44 to keep the profile and weight a bit lower.
Above 12x the Z6 use HD glass
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

340 Master View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 340 Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2014 at 14:17
Thanks for the feedback so far. To be sure I would not compare a Conquest to a Diavari Fl, but I am contemplating upgrading and I am wondering how well the Diavari will withstand the recoil. I thought about trying the Schmidt & Bender compares optically with the DIvari Fl.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2014 at 15:17
If I had a 1/2" gun I wouldn't screw around with it. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2014 at 20:13
Premier Heritage 3-15x50 Tactical 34mm Riflescope Illuminated Gen II Mil-Dot Premier Heritage 3-15x50 Tactical 34mm Riflescope
Stock # - PRH09002
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Illuminated Gen II Mil-Dot
  • 34mm
  • Double-Turn 0.1 MRad (28 mrad of Elevation travel)
  • MTC Adjustments
  • Counter-Clockwise
  • Free Flip Open Lens Caps w/ Purchase
$3,094.00   

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/12/2014 at 20:18

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2014 at 20:17

SO  Where did the Heinsoldt scopes go?????????   Looker

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2014 at 20:18
U.S. Optics 3.2-17x44 LR-17 30mm Riflescope U.S. Optics 3.2-17x44 LR-17 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - USOLR17MIL
  • Parallax Control: T-Pal Left Side Parallax/Focus
  • Tube: 30mm Standard
  • Color: Matte Black Type III Hard Anodizing
  • Eyepiece: Lo Profile - Rapid Focus
  • Includes USO Flip Open Covers
  • Reticle: Mil Scale GAP (MIL)
  • Digital Push Button Illumination (Red)
  • Knob - EREK 1/10 MIL
  • Knob - US#1 1/10 MIL
$2,607.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2014 at 00:21
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

If I had a 1/2" gun I wouldn't screw around with it. 

+1

Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2014 at 14:13
Welcome to the OT 340!

If we tell you where the last Henny went we'll have to kill ya [:}

+2 on a 1/2"gun.What are you shooting at button holes?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2014 at 14:48

If this is for a hunting rifle, it is truly hard to beat Zeiss FL and Swaro Z6 scopes, they can handle the recoil and the glass is fantastic.

Some have recommended tactical scopes, whether I would make that recommendation depends on how you shoot (doping the turret or the reticle) and if you are concerned about spinning turrets at the wrong time.

As this is in the hunting thread and you mention hunting scenarios,  I will limit recommendations to hunting scopes.  Zeiss and Swaro!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2014 at 15:05
^ agreed 100%
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2014 at 15:11
Z6 would be nice. Rather than the heavy Premier Heritage, I'd look into the LT model. BTW, Premier as a brand is falling by the wayside. The scopes appear in the future to be sold under the Tangent Theta label (geeky name, but more applicable to shooting than some others). Check out specs at http://www.tangenttheta.com/Model-TT315M. I don't know if they still have the non-illum model, which is what I had and prefer (because I never have used illum hunting and it cost less). The turrets look to be about the only change.

There's also the new Bushnell 3-12X44 LRHS, which is aimed at hunters. Has some interesting reticle aspects and 3-12 is a good mag range. The scope purportedly has uber-level glass and is made by LOW in Japan. Retails for $1500.

Don't overlook the SS 3-15. While the glass is a notch below scopes like the Premier/TT or Swaro, it's still darn usable out to the ranges you're considering. The money you save can go into more practice ammo, etc.

Reaction time is a factor...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2014 at 15:24
I own the Premier scopes and wouldn't put them at the top of my recommendation list, due to a few things.

Clarify usage, and we can make better recommendations.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 340 Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2014 at 21:37
Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate your assessment RC that the Zeiss FL and Z6 will handle the recoil.  I somewhat prefer the Plex reticle in the Zeiss.  The lighter weight of the Z6 is tempting but  I primarily use the gun for fixed position hunting at ranges up to 550 yards and do not mind turning turrets;  that's what I do on my 5.5-22 NXS on my heavy barreled 243.  I do not like the Z800 reticle; it's too busy and the lines are too heavy.  Where I hunt we can shoot deer until 30 minutes after sunset, pigs 24/7 which makes low light capability very important, especially since I am starting to develop cataracts.  Occasionally I go to a friends place to shoot and we like to set up targets out to 800 yards to shoot and I calculate that I can reach out to a little over 900 yards with the load I shoot and the adjustment available in the 4-16 x 50 Zeiss.  What do you guys think?

Thanks
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2014 at 00:11
You might want to take a look at the Leica's.The glass can hang even with both the above mentioned scopes!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2014 at 09:32
Leica does indeed make a great scope, be aware that the target turrets (or those on the scope 2 years ago) turned WAY too easily, and some reticles can be a bit on the thin side.

If you have a Nightforce, why not get another?

What is your normal zero on the Weatherby?  I cannot see doping a capped turret from a 100 yard zero to a 550+ yard shot with any regularity - and not getting lost on the dial.

If it is fixed position hunting, significant differences in range, and weight isn't much of a concern, I would encourage you to look at the more tactical-type scopes: they are exceedingly reliable, many have great reticle choices (like Nightforce), and many have zero stops - which is very nice for not getting lost on the elevation turret.

Why not another Nightforce? 
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2014 at 16:53
I've owned quite a few scopes over the years, and my latest purchase was a Leica ER 2.5-10 with the Leica Plex reticle. If that scope has any flaws, it would have to be the reticle being slightly less bold than I would consider a good low light reticle. On the other hand, if low light shooting is a major concern, they have a #1 available that is very thick. That Leica ER has, without a shadow of doubt, the best glass I've ever seen in a riflescope. I would say, that the power selector ring is mighty stiff too.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 340 Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2014 at 21:19
I love my Nightforce but I was thinking the Zeiss might have better glass and coatings than the Nightforce and therefore perform better in very low light. 
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic