OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Problem with Steiner Navigators

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awhucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with Steiner Navigators
    Posted: June/09/2006 at 08:40

Good morning Sir or Ma’am,

I recently ordered and received a pair of Steiner Navigator 8x30 binoculars from your company – reference order # 108222. They are, without a doubt, the finest binoculars I have ever used in my very limited experience. However, just in the last week & ˝, the left eye focus ring has started to strip when adjustment is attempted and has gotten progressively worse.

I guess I need to see what the return/repair/warranty procedure is so that I can see about getting these repaired or replaced.

Please advise as to what action I need to take.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Sincerely,

Walt Hucks
Sr. Design Engineer - Electrical
Hatteras Yachts

www.hatterasyachts.com
110 North Glenburnie Road
New Bern, North Carolina 28560
(252) 672-7344

Math Rules!
Walt Hucks
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 10:49

Call me crazy but, isn't this a message that would be more approptiately handled by contacting the company directly - as opposed to posting it on a public forum?  There is contact information readily available on the SWFA website that could be utilized.  And if that's too difficult to find, a private message sent to Chris, Brady, Stephanie, etc. should be accomplished easily enough.

If someone has an electical problem on one of their yachts, do they stand outside your place of business with a bullhorn and announce to the world their difficulties (whether or not they were your fault?)  That is (in essence) what you are doing.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
awhucks View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awhucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 15:36

Dear Lucznik,

We have not been aquainted, but thank you for your input, Sir. And for your information I had attempted to contact them via the email address on the SWFA website and at the time I posted this message, I had not yet heard from them.

I have posted a couple of questions on this forum before and have gotten very rapid replies from Chris and all the team at SWFA - who I might add are a very professional bunch. That is why I decided to post this question here (The above message was simply a cut and paste from my email that I had sent to their email contact).

As for your allusion to an electrical problem with one of our yachts, if you had given it a bit more thought you would have realized that your analogy is not accurate at all. We manufacture yachts. SWFA does not manufacture Steiner binoculars. They are simply distributors.

Further, Sir, had you gleened the true theme of my post (which I thought was quite straight forward - I guess I need to see what the return/repair/warranty procedure is so that I can see about getting these repaired or replaced, but perhaps not to someone of your reading level) I was simply trying to find out what I needed to do. If you do a search over on the "Tactical Scopes" forum (the forum that I spend most of my time in, and sincerely hope that you do not) you will find many questions regarding problems with scopes purchased from SWFA, and Chris and Brady have responded just as promptly and professionally as they do with any other post. I think that a company sponsored forum (as opposed to a true public forum) is an ideal place to get answers to questions related to the company's policies and is not, in any way, shape or form standing outside their place of business with a bulhorn announcing my difficulties.

Again, thank you for your input, Lucznik. But one could certainly argue that your reactionary reply is much more out of place than my simple question about a return policy for goods purchased (outstanding goods at that) at this company. And in the future, you may want to consider restraint in penning your opinions so as not to appear as too much of a busy-body.

Edited by awhucks
Math Rules!
Walt Hucks
Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 15:42

awhucks,

Give me a call, and I will get another pair out to you today. I do apologize for that, and look forward to hearing from you...

Edited by Stephanie
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 17:50
Originally posted by awhucks awhucks wrote:

Dear Lucznik,

We have not been aquainted, but thank you for your input, Sir. And for your information I had attempted to contact them via the email address on the SWFA website and at the time I posted this message, I had not yet heard from them.

You know what they say, "patience is a virtue".

I have posted a couple of questions on this forum before and have gotten very rapid replies from Chris and all the team at SWFA - who I might add are a very professional bunch. That is why I decided to post this question here (The above message was simply a cut and paste from my email that I had sent to their email contact).

Their professionalism is not in question.  Rather the question relates to the professionalism (or lack thereof) of posting a concern/complaint or similar such post in a forum where it is thus advertised to hundreds (if not thousands) of people unassociated with the company.  That others do it also is irrelevant. 

As for your allusion to an electrical problem with one of our yachts, if you had given it a bit more thought you would have realized that your analogy is not accurate at all. We manufacture yachts. SWFA does not manufacture Steiner binoculars. They are simply distributors.

This splitting of hairs does nothing to address the issue of voicing your difficulties in a public arena rather than allowing the company to fix any problem privately. 

If you do a search over on the "Tactical Scopes" forum... you will find many questions regarding problems with scopes purchased from SWFA, and Chris and Brady have responded just as promptly and professionally as they do with any other post. 

Again, another testament to their professionalism (which was not in question.)  However, I must point out again that, the fact that others voice their problems in a public manner is not a justification to continue their poor behavior.

I think that a company sponsored forum (as opposed to a true public forum) is an ideal place to get answers to questions related to the company's policies and is not, in any way, shape or form standing outside their place of business with a bulhorn announcing my difficulties.

Sponsorship is not at issue.  The term public by its very definition simply involves an open forum where people can generally "gather."  Regardless of who hosts the forum, the fact that people like you and I can both freely frequent the site and "converse" makes it a "true public forum" and is therefore an innapropriate venue for the airing of difficulties, problems, etc. with the sponsoring company.

...in the future, you may want to consider restraint in penning your opinions so as not to appear as too much of a busy-body.

Restraint is highly overrated. 

It is this very "virtue" that allowed the Nazis to take over most of Europe before anyone thought to put them in their place and it is this same "virtue" that has us watching from afar as hundreds of thousands are today being killed in Darfur (and numerous other areas of the world.) Restraint is the mantra of the United Nations and their blue helmeted "peace keepers" (and they've just done a wonderful job at helping ensure that the world is a place of peace and beauty where children can grow up well nourished and educated with a positive and hopeful outlook on life...NOT!) Restraint is also why the Liberal Left has had power to co-op our courts, sabotage our culture, and generally demonize the basic principles and institutions upon which our nation was founded.

Certainly bullhorning one's difficulties on an internet forum is not on par with these greater evils but, as I can't do much to directly address those societal wrongs, I'll have to appease myself with just "calling a spade a spade" wherever I can.  Besides, by posting on a public forum (as opposed to using email, the telephone, or [Heaven forbid] a PM) you have openly invited the input of all who frequent this board.

Another thing, don't you think its odd how when someone does something wrong and then gets called on it, they invariably demand the "restraint" of the people calling their bad behavior to question, when they felt no particular inclination to exercise a similar level of restraint of their actions in the first place?

Edited by lucznik
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
awhucks View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awhucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2006 at 08:24
Thank you very much, Stephanie! I will call you on Monday.

You guys are TOPS!
Math Rules!
Walt Hucks
jhpsr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhpsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2006 at 04:52

"Math" and one's job title does not "rule", nor is a public forum the place to intitally

address a problem with a product or vendor. SWVA is a class outfit and deserves

better.

awhucks View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awhucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2006 at 08:43

jhpsr,

Math most certainly does rule... more that you obviously realize. In fact, it forms the design basis for all optics sold by this company, thank you very much.

And I’ve never implied that my job title rules anything. Do I detect a bit of jealousy?

Also, I am in total agreement with you on the fact that SWFA is an outstanding company. In fact, had you read closely above, you would have noticed that I’ve said so a couple of times. THEY ARE TOPS.

I JUST WANTED TO GET INFORMATION ON REPAIR/RETURN POLICY.

It's you life, but I think that you and your brother Lucznik above need to find something a bit more constructive to occupy your time than playing Troll on these forums.

Math Rules!
Walt Hucks
Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2006 at 09:25

No reason to get in a battle over something so small. No biggie!! we will take care of him. We try to keep this place a friendly environment. We value everyones opinion here. Both lucznik and awhucks both have good points...

Ya'll need to kiss and make up!

We will be happy to help awhucks..

awhucks View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awhucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2006 at 09:30

Consider it done & over.

Thank you once again, Stephanie!

Math Rules!
Walt Hucks
Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2006 at 09:58
   Look forward to hearing from you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic