OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Browning BLR in 7mm-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeStaten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Browning BLR in 7mm-08
    Posted: January/06/2014 at 11:36
Going to pick up a BLR in 7mm08 or 308.  Wanted to know what scopes would be recommended for it.

The rifle will be used for deer hunting.  Shots will range from 25 yards to 300 yards with the majority of shots in the 75-150 yard range.  Looking for a scope in the 2-7 or 3-9x range but would like max to be 7x or better. 

Would like the scope to (in order of importance):
  • be flexible in head positioning i.e., clear sight picture, quick acquisition, not too sensitive to eye relief and such.  
  • Decent field of view
  • relatively lightweight
  • Cheaper the better but $450 is the absolute max I'll spend
  • Decent low light performance (light enough for legal daylight hunts)

A few that I'm considering (definitely open to other ideas)-

Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36

Leupold VX2 2-7x33

Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 (little concerned about eye relief and flexible head positioning on this one, I've got the 3-9 on a 270 and it seems a little sensitive)

Nikon Monarch 3 2-8x32

Thank you

VX-3 2.5-8x36mm

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2014 at 11:39
I would go the VX-3 2.5-8x.  That woudl be a great little optic and fit that gun really well.  Depending upon the stock you choose for your BLR, you have a glossy finish option in that scope as well.  If you get one with teh glossy stock finish and metal finish that would look sharp
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2014 at 12:23
Be sure to check out the sample list as well.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2014 at 13:37
Another option would be the "new" Zeiss Terra in 2-7 X 32.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2014 at 16:45
2.5-8x36 VX3 is the ticket. 
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2014 at 17:15
I have the monarch ucc 2-8x32.  It's a great scope for this rifle.  Mine was matte, so I felt the need to redo the stock (not really, I just hate the gloss coating).  Anyway, it's great on my .338 Fed BLR, which began life as a .308:

Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2014 at 17:26
I have an older pre-81 BLR in .308 Winchester that I topped with a Leupold VX3 1.5-5x scope.  My objective was a little different with it being a primary brush gun/shots inside of 100 yards.  At the top end, I'm comfortable taking shots out to 300 yards with it.

tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2014 at 20:37
Originally posted by DCAMM94 DCAMM94 wrote:

I have the monarch ucc 2-8x32.  It's a great scope for this rifle.  Mine was matte, so I felt the need to redo the stock (not really, I just hate the gloss coating).  Anyway, it's great on my .338 Fed BLR, which began life as a .308:

Who rebarreled it for you? I used to have a BLR in 30/06 I wanted to get rebarreled to 9.3X62 but couldn't get anyone to do the work because the lugs lock into the barrel instead of reciever. Sorry I got off topic.:)
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2014 at 23:54
JES Reboring in Oregon. It was a good job, a little tool marking at the muzzle, but it shoots as well as it did before, if not better. PM me if you want more info.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
MikeStaten View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeStaten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2014 at 10:31
That is a fine looking setup and great choice in caliber. 
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2014 at 10:45
Back to the original topic - good glass is always important, but the barrels on the BLR are short, pretty thin and "whippy," so if you're going to go with a take-down, like me, I wouldn't break the bank on it.  A nice 2-7 or 2-8 or 3-9 is more than enough to get the most out of the setup.  The one thing I've seen with my takedown is that I don't feel confident without firing a cold-barrel shot out of it before hunting after it's been broken down.  Zero shifts every time - not much, but enough to make me a little hesitant to trust it with a receiver-mounted scope.  Presumably the scout mount would alleviate this, but I never could get comfortable with the scout mount.

That's one of the reasons I went with the 338 Fed for a re-bore.  Where I'll use it, my shots don't typically go beyond 250yds, so it gives me better energy down range, and I don't like to track as much as I used to.  With the 2-8 UCC, I have good (not great) glass, decent low light performance, and confidence I'll hit what I'm aiming at out to the limits of my shooting lanes.
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2014 at 23:21
Originally posted by DCAMM94 DCAMM94 wrote:

JES Reboring in Oregon. It was a good job, a little tool marking at the muzzle, but it shoots as well as it did before, if not better. PM me if you want more info.

Thanx for the info. I'll have to research whether you can rebore from 30/06 to 9.3X62 as the cases are silk liar but not identical.
MikeStaten View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeStaten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 10:26
DC,
When you say point of impact changes when after breaking down and putting the rifle together, how much of a difference at 100 yds would you say?  I didn't think of the breakdown version but if it stays pretty close, say under 1.5" difference, I might consider that style.

Thanks,
Mike
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2014 at 11:58
It's generally about 1.5" at the max at 100yds.  Usually less, and different loads yield different results.  I've generally neglected working up loads for it because my 9.3x62 CZ Mannlicher somehow is a tackdriver, but the BLR is not off the paper by any means.  I just make sure that I shoot it after I assemble it before hunting - probably more out of OCD than anything else.  The most important factor I've seen from any BLR is cold barrel shot.  The thin barrels change a LOT as they heat up.  That's not a factor limited to the takedown version.  They're all thin and react more than a standard bolt rifle to heat - that's why finding a good load is so important.
MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2014 at 12:03
Originally posted by tejas tejas wrote:

Who rebarreled it for you? I used to have a BLR in 30/06 I wanted to get rebarreled to 9.3X62 but couldn't get anyone to do the work because the lugs lock into the barrel instead of reciever. Sorry I got off topic.:)

Wild West guns in Anchorage (and also the location in Las Vegas) will re-barrel BLRs.

If you're talking about the current model/design, the bolt does not lock into the barrel, it locks into a barrel extension.  They're very like an AR-15 in this aspect of their design.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic