OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Advice Needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redstickhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Advice Needed
    Posted: January/04/2014 at 14:19
I just found this site today and have enjoyed reading about rifle scopes. I'm about to purchase my first Hunting Rifle and I'm torn on my choices for optics. Here is the needed to suggest a scope for me rifle:

Rifle - Tikka T3 270

Range Shots - Under 200 yds

Hunting West Texas (White Tails and Aoudads)

Would like to see 15 minutes before and after sunrise and sunset if I have a shot

Rifle will be fired  20/30 times first year, after that maybe 6 times a season 

I would like to see whats available for under 500.00. I've had the following scopes recommended to me by some fellow hunters.

Simmons Mag .44 3-9

Nikon Prostaff BDC 40mm and 50mm

I'm looking for something that will be reliable and not brake the bank for the little bit of hunting I'm going to do.

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2014 at 17:21
Check out the samplelist.
SPL19681Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view5214609920, Matte, Z-Plex, 1"
$349.95
This is well in your price range and will totally blow away the scopes you have listed.

You need to realize that there is a lot more to shooting than pulling the trigger. Prepair to spend a lot more time behind the rifle if you want to be proficient in its use. There are a lot of technical skills to be learned to accurately shoot. It is a more than the scope. Besides it is fun and addictive.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2014 at 18:39
Visit the Ed Show
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2014 at 19:17
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

I think the Meopta or the Zeiss Conquest mentioned  would be great. I like the Zeiss Conquest line myself.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2014 at 22:31
+1 on the Zeiss Conquest 3-9. The Meopta would be nice too, but I would prefer the Zeiss Conquest.
redstickhunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redstickhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2014 at 23:43
Guys thanks for the tips....I love this place. Things have changed so much over the past 15 years. I used to be an avid hunter when I was younger and I gave it up for other hobbies. I'm excited to get back in the saddle again. You have been very helpful with your suggestions.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2014 at 05:18
Welcome to the OT, how are things in beautiful downtown " Red Stick"
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
nksmfamjp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nksmfamjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2014 at 09:30
Sorry, I don't know anything about hunting whitetails in W TX.  Is there a lot of in/out of the truck. . .i.e. lots of potential for optic damage?  Are regular Nikon, Leupold, Burris, etc scopes holding up for your team?

Also, what is your field of view vs magnification viewpoint.  For example, at 200 yds, I would like a 6x magnification as my balance between FOV and magnification.  Some people feel they have to be on 9x at any distance over 50 yards. . .

What is the shortest shot you would likely get? Is this all stand hunting where you are shooting mostly 50 - 150 yds?

Last, what is your weight tolerance.  Some guys struggle to accept more than 10oz in a scope.  Others say, "give me all the bells and whistles, Ill carry a 30oz scope."  Really, I think in the light = ~10 oz, mid weight = ~ 16oz, heavy = ~22oz

So, from your description, I gather you would want:

Quality brand. . .no blister pak optics

Min Magnification = ~ unknown

Max magnification = Guessing 6x, but waiting on your answer.

Min Exit Pupil = 4 - 8mm I know people say I can only see 5mm, but it seems like 8mm is brighter!

Objective = ~28 - 50 waiting on other answers

Lens coating = Fully Multi-coated is a good place to start, but many companies have proprietary coatings which are even better.

So, without all the questions answered, I'm thinking:
Nikon Monarch 3 2.5-10x42
Burris Veracity 2-10x50. . .Looks good, but on the heavy side
**The Zeiss and Meopta also look good!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2014 at 10:19
The Monarch 3's have a rather large ocular housing and rifles with high bolt lifts, like a CZ for example, are potentially problematic. 
Not a bad suggestion. I think the Monarch's are good scopes. 
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2014 at 10:23
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

The Monarch 3's have a rather large ocular housing and rifles with high bolt lifts, like a CZ for example, are potentially problematic. 

I have a 21/2-10 X 50 30mm Monarch Gold on an older CZ .270 no problem with the bolt.

nksmfamjp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nksmfamjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2014 at 10:36

I agree.  I'm buying a new BUIS on my AR because of this little overlooked detail!!!Bandito

Still, I bought the scope because the low power Nikon Monarch's seem to be very quick to the eye (Eye Box/non-critical eye relief) IMO.  I tried others and none were too terrible, mounted right, but this was best IMO.  For reference: Nikon Monarch 3 2-8x32
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2014 at 10:41
the 3-9x42 meopta with #4 reticle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2014 at 11:19
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

I have a 21/2-10 X 50 30mm Monarch Gold on an older CZ .270 no problem with the bolt.

I believe that scope is the older version, with the smaller ocular housing, but I may be wrong, Peddler. 
The "new" Monarch's have a 4x erector and larger housing than the older 3x erectors like your Gold, I believe.  

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2014 at 11:35

I believe that scope is the older version, with the smaller ocular housing, but I may be wrong, Peddler. 
The "new" Monarch's have a 4x erector and larger housing than the older 3x erectors like your Gold, I believe.  

I think the ocular housing is the same size on both and I think there is a little more eye relief on the 30 mm tube but I'm not positive on that.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redstickhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2014 at 12:15
Originally posted by nksmfamjp nksmfamjp wrote:

Sorry, I don't know anything about hunting whitetails in W TX.  Is there a lot of in/out of the truck. . .i.e. lots of potential for optic damage?  Are regular Nikon, Leupold, Burris, etc scopes holding up for your team?

Also, what is your field of view vs magnification viewpoint.  For example, at 200 yds, I would like a 6x magnification as my balance between FOV and magnification.  Some people feel they have to be on 9x at any distance over 50 yards. . .

What is the shortest shot you would likely get? Is this all stand hunting where you are shooting mostly 50 - 150 yds?

Last, what is your weight tolerance.  Some guys struggle to accept more than 10oz in a scope.  Others say, "give me all the bells and whistles, Ill carry a 30oz scope."  Really, I think in the light = ~10 oz, mid weight = ~ 16oz, heavy = ~22oz

So, from your description, I gather you would want:

Quality brand. . .no blister pak optics

Min Magnification = ~ unknown

Max magnification = Guessing 6x, but waiting on your answer.

Min Exit Pupil = 4 - 8mm I know people say I can only see 5mm, but it seems like 8mm is brighter!

Objective = ~28 - 50 waiting on other answers

Lens coating = Fully Multi-coated is a good place to start, but many companies have proprietary coatings which are even better.

So, without all the questions answered, I'm thinking:
Nikon Monarch 3 2.5-10x42
Burris Veracity 2-10x50. . .Looks good, but on the heavy side
**The Zeiss and Meopta also look good!!

Ok Let me get a little more detailed as this could open up more discussion:

There is a lot of in and out of a truck. This concerns me because I do not know how a bump to the scope affects its performance.

99% of the shots would be between 50 and 125 yds. Few would be between 125 and 200 yds. 

All the other hunters have swarovski optics, just not an option for me. My son shots a 280 with a nikon scope 3x9x40, don't know the model. He drops everything he shoots at with that setup. He is only shooting at full light. 

Weight is not a factor.

Thanks for the detailed follow up, looking forward to your response.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redstickhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2014 at 12:48

Welcome to the OT, how are things in beautiful downtown " Red Stick"

Peddler,

Thanks for the welcome! The food is always good...LOL. Actually we are going to have one of our coldest days on record later this week. Overnight lows of 19 degrees and highs in the upper 30's. The town will probably come to a halt...Lol. Just a walk in the park for our friends up north.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2014 at 15:02

I think the ocular housing is the same size on both and I think there is a little more eye relief on the 30 mm tube but I'm not positive on that.

Eye relief on the Monarch 3 is 4", for both the 1" and 30mm tubes. The erector on the Gold is 3x, I believe, and 4x on the Monarch 3, thus the ocular housing is bigger on the Monarch 3...I think I'm right, but maybe not.
It may not even be an issue with the Tikka, I was just stating that for any one else who may be considering a Monarch 3.  
MBar308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBar308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2014 at 21:19
This option is much less expensive than the others have suggested, but it will easily allow shots 30 mins prior to sunrise, and 30 mins passed sunset. It will also provide enough magnification for the ranges you mentioned. I have the same  scope, and it has been very tough so far. From what I hear the warranty is excellent. I know you said you are willing to spend up to $500, but I figured I would throw in a good bargain that I can personally vouch for. Good luck in your search!

Vortex 3-9x40 Diamondback Rifle Scope V-Plex Vortex 3-9x40 Diamondback Rifle Scope
Stock # - DBKM01P
  • Matte
  • V-Plex
  • 1"
$189.95
Add Vortex 3-9x40 Diamondback Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl06_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1208_0" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl06$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1208$0" ="">

huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2014 at 01:26
Do yourself a huge, HUGE favor and pitch the factory rings that came with your Tikka.  I have one as well and they're fantastic rifles but the rings in the box are pretty crappy.  It sounds like you're somewhat concerned about bumping the rifle around in the truck.  While all the scopes mentioned would be fine for you, NONE of them can help you if they're sitting in weak rings when they take a hit.  These are what I put on mine and I highly recommend them to you too.  And, welcome!

Talley Lightweight Aluminum 1Talley Lightweight Aluminum 1" Scopemount
Stock # - 930714
  • Knight Mark 85
  • Tikka Master
  • Tikka T3
  • Matte
  • Low
  • 1"
$39.95

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2014 at 07:21
We LOVE the Talley LW's here! Ditto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic