OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Apples and oranges or a reasonable comparison??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Apples and oranges or a reasonable comparison??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eromtap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Apples and oranges or a reasonable comparison??
    Posted: January/03/2014 at 10:22
Ok so this may be a silly question, but I'm torn between buying another USO st-10 or swfa ss 10x42 HD. I have no experience with swfa, but can't find a single bad review and the price is very appealing. The main reason I went with USO for a rem 700 build was because I always want my equipment to be as indestructible as possible in case of SHTF time. Everything I've read says the swfa may be just as durable and if I ordered an st-10 with the exact same features as the HD it's $600 more (not to mention the 6-8 month wait which stinks). So in your guys opinion is the USO worth the extra dough? Keep in mind I absolutely love my USO, but I'm not super picky about glass, at a certain point I think a lot of guys start splitting imaginary hairs on that front. The scope would be used at mainly over 500 yds on a 308 and I'm only interested in fixed 10's as I find them the most useful to me. Thanks once again in advance for your help!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2014 at 10:39
Having owned both a USO SN-3 and a SS 10x and a lover of fixed 10 powers, I'd say go with SS 10x.  
For the money you'd pay for another USO 10x, you could have a pretty darn nice variable. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Eromtap View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eromtap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2014 at 10:44
That confirms my thoughts. Looks like I'm gonna be a new swfa owner!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2014 at 10:49
Well, I'd wait to here from the OT Collective before deciding. Wink Just my thoughts, is all. 
Eromtap View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eromtap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2014 at 10:54
Haha fair enough. I do tend to jump the gun sometimes, the wife hates it! Ok, any other opinions? If these 2 scopes are in the same league what would justify the extra cost of the USO if anything?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2014 at 11:05
Eromtap… I have the 10xHD, have seen, but not used the ST-10.  The 10xHD gives approximately 90% of what the USOptics will give you, at a much reduced cost.  Other than EREK, there is nothing the ST does better than the SS.  I have scopes ranging from NcStar to Hensoldt and use them all.   I can find no good reason to purchase the ST-10 over the SS 10xHD.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Eromtap View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eromtap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2014 at 11:06
Thanks kickboxer. Another point for the ss!
Eromtap View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eromtap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2014 at 11:07
And actually that 600 extra is without erek knob anyway. That's another couple hundred!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2014 at 11:15
I believe Mr. Boxer is referring to the SS HD, which is approximately $400 more than the standard 10X SS.

Maybe you were aware of that. I have the standard MOA 10X SS and love it. I've yet to see the 10X HD.  
Eromtap View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eromtap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2014 at 11:28
Oh I thought we were all talking about the hd. That's 800 and the USO would be about 1400. I'm very impressed that in your opinion the non hd as would stand up next to the USO, I certainly didn't see that coming! Seems like deaf is putting out amazing scopes for the price if that's the case.   
Eromtap View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eromtap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2014 at 11:29
In any case I do want mil/mil so the hd would be necessary
Eromtap View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eromtap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2014 at 11:30
And swfa. Not deaf! Darn autocorrect.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2014 at 11:51
Originally posted by Eromtap Eromtap wrote:

I'm very impressed that in your opinion the non hd as would stand up next to the USO, I certainly didn't see that coming!

I'm saying that my non HD MOA Mil Dot 10X SS is as durable as my SN-3 was. 

As a matter of fact, I was so smitten by the SS that I sold my USO. Not a slight on USO. The SS just exceeded my expectations for a fraction of the price. Seems my SN-3 cost me around $1750 on a group buy at Sniper's Hide. Glass on the USO was better. The EREK knob rocked, but all in all, the SS did and does everything I need it to do.

Now....let's muddy the water a bit. How about a SS 3-9x? Flame 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2014 at 11:53
I just reread your original post and you indicated the SS HD. Sorry. Baby sitting 2 Doberman's and 2 African Grey's today. Little hectic.  
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2014 at 12:43
I have had the SS  10x HD and several of the standard fixed power SS scopes.  I upgraded from the SS 10 HD to the 5-20x50 Mil Quad illuminated.  I like the HD 10x very much far better than the standard 10x but the 5-20x50 is just as solid of a scope and I find 10x a bit much to engage moving targets at close range and not enough to identify small details at extreme long range.  ex.  a few years ago my son and I were hunting late antlerless season past 600 yds I had a fixed 10x Leupold Mk4 he had a 8.5-25x50 Leu Mk 4 he could tell which deer in a group of 6 was a young buck I could not see horns with the 10x. I truely value a fixed power scope and think them far stronger than most variables. My most recent purchase was a Super Sniper  6x42 mil quad but I run the 5-20x50 on my R5 Rem SHTF gun. I also am a big fan of US Optics scopes but no I would not pay the extra dollars over what the SS 10x HD cost to go to that scope Iwould pay the difference to go to the 1.8 to 10  US Optics scope because I cant seem to get onto moving targets under 100 yds at anything over 6x . If I bought a US Optics it would have to have the EREK knob I just wish every manufacturer would make a knob with that profile I just hate Leupolds tall knobs.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2014 at 12:59
I used to be uncertain, but now I'm just not sure.

according to the Ig Nobel awards.
Materials and Methods Both samples were prepared by gently desiccating them in a convection oven at low temperature over the course of several days. The dried samples were then mixed with potassium bromide and ground in a small ball-bearing mill for two minutes. One hundred milligrams of each of the resulting powders were then pressed into a circular pellet having a diameter of 1 cm and a thickness of approximately 1 mm. Spectra were taken at a resolution of 1 cm-1 using a Nicolet 740 FTIR spectrometer. Figure 2 shows a comparison of the 4000-400 cm-1 (2.5-25 mm) infrared transmission spectra of a Granny Smith apple and a Sunkist Navel orange. Figure. 2 Conclusions Not only was this comparison easy to make, but it is apparent from the figure that apples and oranges are very similar. Thus, it would appear that the comparing apples and oranges defense should no longer be considered valid. This is a somewhat startling revelation. It can be anticipated to have a dramatic effect on the strategies used in arguments and discussions in the future. NOTE: This article is included in the book The Best of Annals of Improbable Research - See more at: http://www.improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume1/v1i3/air-1-3-apples.html#sthash.tSG7Fq2R.dpuf

100 gr. of either contain 10 grs. of fructose and sucrose
and 100 gr of either contain the same calories.

oh the scopes, let me know when you get something definitive .
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2014 at 13:08
Hello, Dale! 

Are you nipping the left over egg nog today? Big Grin 
Cold Trigger Finger View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2014 at 13:40
The extra 600$ will go a long way toward brass, powder, primers and bullets and a better weather station and a better chronograph and ect.ect.ect.

Jmho
You are being watched.
If it can't be grown, It's gotta be mined
Eromtap View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eromtap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2014 at 14:16
Wow thanks for all the info guys! And dale thanks for showing me the error in my argument technique haha. This would be on a 308 so mostly within 800 yds and with 20/10 vision I don't have a problem identifying target that far (for now) I am thinking of moving up to a 338 lapua in the not too distant future so a 5-20 would be ideal. Also the moving target within 100 yds is a serious consideration and may sway me the 3-9 route. This is also going on a 5r so I'm glad somebody has experience with this exact combo. Regardless of the model it looks like an ss is the clear winner here!
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2014 at 15:01
I would lean towards the SS10xHD. And since you have an USO you could compare them and SWFA is great about returning scopes if they have not been mounted. But I would be surprised if you did want to return the SS.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic