OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gprince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which scope?
    Posted: June/08/2006 at 11:02

This forum is great!

I began reading this forum in hopes of finding an honest review of the Mueller line of scopes.  In my search, I ran across so much information about scopes in general, that I did not know.  I, like many other novices, had some misconceptions that were laid to rest.  Thank you all for the education.

Here is my question:

I have a new savage 7mm mag bolt action rifle that I need scoped.  I hunt deer in S. Georgia in the woods, where I have shooting lanes of up to 100 yards and in fields where I have shots that extend to 300 yards.  I have had difficulty in the past with my Leupold VXII 3-9X40 scope with light gathering as it gets dark, which is usually the last 5 minutes of shooting light.  For example, last year I passed up two shots hunting in a corn field where I could see the deer with my cheap, Jason 10 X 50, binoculars clear enough to shoot, but I had difficulty finding the deer with my leupold scope.  I could only make out the form of the deer when it would move.  I want a 6X - 10X fixed power range that is as clear and bright as possible.  I would rather have a variable power, but I don't want to sacrifice clearity and brightness for the variable ranges.  I would like to keep it under $400. 

Here are some scopes that I am considering:

Sightron SII 6X42

Super Sniper 10X42

Zeiss Conquest 3-9 X 40 - I am really intrigued by the price of this scope, but as I mentioned before, I don't want to sacrifice clearity and brightness for a variable power scope is a fixed power would be better in those areas.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2006 at 13:06

I'd be willing to bet that if you had cranked the power dial from 9 power back to 3 power you would have been able to gather enough light to use the scope you already own. The higher the level of magnification the larger you need the front objective to be to allow sufficient light through. The SS 10x42  has a 30 mm tube and is a great sniper scope but probably not that much brighter than a VX2 3-9 on 9X.

The Sightron SII  6x42 or Leupold 6x42 or Burris 6x42 or Nikon 6x42 or IOR 6x42 all will be very bright good glass and lots brighter than yours on 9X.  If you want higher power than 6x look for a scope with 50 mm or 56 mm objective.  But before you spend anything crank it back to 3x and take it outside this evening to see if what you already own wont do what you are wanting , I mean really now if you put your 3-9x40 on 6x then you would have a 6x40 thats pretty close to a 6x42.  If you really have to buy something else look at the IOR tactical 6x42 and Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6 x 42 variable  and look at some scopes with 50 mm objectives before you make your final selection.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2006 at 13:16

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
gprince View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gprince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2006 at 18:27

Urimaginaryfrnd, I appreciate you taking the time to post a reply.

Before posting, I read all the links you listed above as well as most of the threads over the past 2 or 3 months. 

Since before coming to this site, I was certain that the Leupold VariXIII with a 50mm objective was the way to go (just like every redneck that lives in this area because we have all been brainwashed to think that way), but since it was priced higher than I was willing to spend, I needed to find a scope that was more in my price range, but with similar glass.  Reading this forum is how I came up with the three choices that I listed above. 

In regards to cranking the the the power down to 3, that is how I was able to see the form of the deer. 

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2006 at 18:55

gprince you were able to see past alot of the bullS@*! that is posted on this site,

I just wanted to warn you that one of the 3 scopes you listed is highly overrated

I have had the chance to use all three scopes. I think you will figure out which one

it is after reading this post.

Take care.

Trinidad

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2006 at 20:53

Here's a couple of others to consider

Leupold FX III 6X42

Leupold VX L 3.5-10X50

I own both of these.  The VX L is superior in low light, but not by a lot.

gprince View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gprince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2006 at 07:20

I decided to choose the fixed power scope due to less light loss, better clearity and lower cost.  Although, I would rather a variable power just because I like to have choices.  A 6X42 seems to be a good choice for light gathering, but would a 7X50 or 8X56 gather more light since the objective lens is larger?

As I mentioned I have read a lot of information on this site, but now it starting to run together. 

cd100 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cd100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2006 at 05:48

If you're set on a fixed power scope,get a quality 6x42 with good glass.You mentioned you hunt shooting lanes up to 100 yds.and open fields.It will get darker quicker in the lanes so you will need a lower magnification to gather light there. 6 x will still be fine for the bean field shots also.

Personaly I prefer the 3x9x40 or 3x9x50 Conquest.SWFA Sample Lists have some awesome deals on those with warrantys. A quality variable scope will give you the best of both hunting situations you mentioned.

A Southern Redneck

Czech

livetohunt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livetohunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2006 at 06:55

Go with the ZEISS if you want a scope that gathers alot of light. you cant

go wrong.If you can afford it go with 3x9x50 I dont have one but I have

a friend that does and it is a great scope.very clear and bright.much

better than a loopy

hondo56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hondo56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2006 at 10:52

gprince,

You are getting good thoughts from these guys. Let me put my $.02 in.

I have variable scopes, all in the 3-9 or 3-10 range with 40mm objectives. I hunt in the Piney Woods of East Texas, and we get shots out to 500 yards (that's for varmints; deer I keep to 300 or less). I also hunt antelope in New Mexico. Long shots there as well.

I keep the settings on 6X and rarely, rarely change it.

If you want to keep your scope under $400, here are three very good ones to consider:

Nikon Monarch 6 x 42 fixed; approximately $290.

Burris Signature Select 3-10 x 40; around $380.

Burris Fullfield II 3-9 x 40; around $180.

I have the Fullfield II on a rifle, and just got in my Signature Select. The Signature Select ranks up there with the VXIIIs, and some will even say it's as good as a Conquest. Dunno about that, but I took mine out late last night under a 3/4 moon and a street light, and could read license plates at 100 yards.

I've also read very good reviews on the Nikon Monarch 6 x 42 on this forum as well.

The good news is that there are several excellent scopes to choose from. The bad news is that you have to choose one. Nikon, Burris, Conquest, or Sightron; any one of these will provide you with excellent service.

Good luck.

Edited by hondo56
Here's to ya, pilgrim.
Hondo56
blsnelling View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blsnelling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2006 at 13:49
On a 7mm Mag you might consider that the Conquest 3-9x40 (4") has a lot more eye relief than the 3-9x50 (3.34").
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2006 at 11:19

I'm going to muddy up the water a bit & ask you if you've checked out SWFA's "Sample List"?  There are some great deals on that page on trade-ins, factory refurbs, and "floor model" scopes.  Here are a few I found that might be of interest:

--Nikon Monarch 3.3x10 44mm for $299.95

--Nikon Buckmaster 4x12 50mm w/SIDE FOCUS for $229.95 (FANTASTIC DEAL!!!)

--Nikon Monarch 5.5x16.5 44mm for $299.95 (I own one of these; amazing scope)

--Pentax Lightseeker 4x16 44mm for $399.99

Another suggestion that might help is to call Brady @ SWFA.  I called him before ordering a Kahles CL from SWFA & found him to be very informative & knowledgable of their inventory.  He's a hunter to boot and should be able to match you with something in your budget.

Best of luck to you.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic