OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rifle Choice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulKreuger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rifle Choice?
    Posted: June/08/2006 at 06:00

Hello again

What bolt action rifle do you guys use/prefer?

I am looking for something as a range rifle, have used both the Mauser k98 and the Remington 700 in .308 cal but am undecided on which one to go with.

I have talked to different people about the different improvements that can be made to the Rem 700, AICS chassis system, worked triggers, competition barrel.

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated, thank you

noddah View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2006 at 14:13

I own a sporterized 98k in 30 06 that has approx. 60 years of hunting under its belt. The 98k is rock solid and can be made into anything you wish. Mine has gone through years (Grandfather) with new barrels, stocks, scopes and was rebuilt by me once again before a Alaska Hunt. If this is a "meat" gun I would hestitate at using a sporterized 98k.

Interesting note the 98k parts that were blue - treated way back in 1936 were the only parts and rifle that didn't rust in the Alaska Weather; minus the SS Rifles.

The 700 Remington is just as versatile and more so as a target rifle. If this is a target rifle the 700 would be my choice.

RMsniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMsniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2006 at 17:33

PK, everything depends on your budget mate.

<$1K i would go for the ordinary but very useable Remi 700...AICS stock is awesome, but do you need it? when you start throwing money at a Remi 700 it can end up very expensive for what, at the end of the day is just a remi? but saying that, i know of a hell of a lot of guys who swear by them...so its horses for courses as we say here.

Personally i would look at the Fins (Tikka / Sako) as they present good VFM. Howa is another good Remi clone, cheap and shoot damn well out of the box, Savage...hell the list goes on and on.

Its all down to confidence with a rifle, how it feels the first time you shoot it, trigger pull, stock fit etc.

I just bought 2 Tikka T3 tacticals, both have shot sub 1/2 MOA groups out of the box, one in 223 and the other 308...bloody good guns for the bucks.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2006 at 18:31

Hello

The 700 is a great choice, it allows for many of the finest modern

custom options. It will be a exellent choice for the range.

Edited by SVD666
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2006 at 22:42
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2006 at 22:45
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 11:08

I don't get into either dedicated target shooting or the current "tactical" craze so my rifles are all just fairly basic field guns.  I am fairly partial to this particular Winchester M70 (pictured below.)  It was made in the early 70's and though it still sports its original factory barrel, it still manages to shoot (if I do my part) right at minute of angle to over 300 yards.

The dedicated target marksmen here will yawn at that (with good reason) but, that's not too shabby for a 30+ year old rifle with a factory barrel.  A lot of the answer to your question depends on what it is you want your rifle to do. 

Is it meant to punch little tiny holes in paper, or to strike game animals with the "Hammer of Thor?"

Edited by lucznik
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 18:08

In my opinion the Mauser 98 action is the finest in the world.  Commercial models that I like are Model 70 Winchester Classics, Kimbers, and CZs.

ranburr

PaulKreuger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulKreuger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2006 at 06:05

Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

Is it meant to punch little tiny holes in paper, or to strike game animals with the "Hammer of Thor?"

Rifle for the range, 900 yards and for the once a year deer shooting.

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2006 at 00:21
I grew up in a Remington family.  However, I really like the Winchester model 70's  since I guess Winchester is gone I'd go with any mauser type action.  I also really like the finish of Sako rifles.
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

RMsniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMsniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2006 at 04:51

The last offerings from the Winchester factory might be worth a look at, damn nice rifles.

Agreed...M70 Winchester, great rifle.

Unfortunately i like my Mausers to be original 1930's - 40's man hunters as i am a collector of historic 1st and 2nd WW rifles, although i do like the Mauser MO2 hunting rifle, thats very nice

christiangoof View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christiangoof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2006 at 23:18

I love the Winchester my dad has.  It fits me very well.  It's a bolt-action rifle, I just don't know what Caliber.  I think it might be a 30-06.  If that's how you say it.  The problem is that it's a right handed gun, and I'm left handed.  But hey I like it.  It's a nice gun.  We also have a weatherby, and I don't like that one very much.  I'm a short person, so I don't really like the fact that the Weatherby does a lot of kicking. 

Dorothy

Garrand View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2006 at 06:45
My fathers 1959 Sako,  was the finest long distance tack driver, Ive ever shot.

Islamofacists are nothing but Chicken shi'ites
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic