OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 Rifle Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 Rifle Scopes
    Posted: December/25/2013 at 21:12
This is the scope I think I have decided to go with. If I get this one, which recticle should I get. Anyone got any other suggestions before I pull the trigger. 
zdub View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2013 at 21:53
I need advice, please. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2013 at 22:14
That depends on how you intend to use the scope.

Is this for deer hunting? If so, I'd get the 4A. I personally like it better than the plex, because the outer posts are thicker and more visible in low light.

If you plan to use it for varmints or you typically shoot big game animals at extended distances, you use reticles for bullet drop compensation, and you're willing to put in the time to learn the reticle drop values for your particular load, get the BRH.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
zdub View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2013 at 22:18
Thanks a lot. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2013 at 09:12
You're welcome!

Personally, I would probably just get the 4A regardless. For BG hunting scopes, I take the "simpler is better" approach, and I want my reticle to be as visible in low light as possible. With the 4A, you have both thin crosshairs in the center for precision aiming and thick outer bars for good low light visibility.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2013 at 09:40
definitely the 4a. i had this scope with duplex and wish ida gotten the 4a.   duplex was too thin for me
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2013 at 12:08
What Ted said. I am a big fan of the 4A.
Doug
zdub View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2013 at 14:29
Do you guys have a scope that you would buy over this one? I am deer hunting in alabama. Hopefully I will get to go to Kansas or Loco to hunt one day. I am just trying to cover my basis before I commit. 
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2013 at 16:03
I have the 4-12x50 Z3 with BRH for hunting out west. It is well suited to that type of hunting which occasionally includes shooting past MPBR.

For hunting at MPBR, I would prefer the 3-10x42 with the 4a.
-Matt
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2013 at 16:29
On a BAR in 270 in the AL woods (per your other post) I would be looking at the 3-9x36 or at most the 3-10x42 either of which have the 4a. I would much rather have the lower power on the bottom vs the extra 2x on the top. Even out west here in CO I dont need more than 9-10 on the top unless hunting varmints or yotes.

Edit... My mistake... A BLR in 270... Practically screams the 3-9x36. Keep that a nice light quick handling little rifle.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
zdub View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2013 at 20:02
What do you guys think about this scope compared to the z3? My buddy told me about this. Sorry for being bothersome. 

Kahles Helia KXi 3.5-10x50 Riflescope

zdub View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2013 at 20:02

Kahles Helia kxi 3.5-10x50

Kahles Helia KXi 3.5-10x50 Riflescope

zdub View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2013 at 20:03
It is the kahles helia khi 3.5-10x50
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2014 at 21:11
That is a great scope as well...
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

crosshairmaster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crosshairmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2014 at 07:54
definitely the 4a
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2014 at 23:07
I like both the BRH and the 4A reticle, depending on use for the scope.  There is a big design difference between the Kahles KHi, the Swarovski Z3 in 3.5-10x42 and Z3, 4-12x50mm, in objective size and in capabilities.  For some people this is a deal killer?
CDR3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic