OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex / Redfield / Leupold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOsteology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex / Redfield / Leupold
    Posted: December/22/2013 at 12:06
I need to pick up a couple affordable 3-9x40mm riflescopes for a couple kids, and need some informed feedback.

The scopes I'm considering:

Redfield Revolution
Vortex Diamondback
Leupold VX-I

Which of the three is the best?

Even though I'm looking at scopes on the lower end of the price scale, it still needs to be a decent scope. One that will hold up for a few years in the field.

Leupold is a known commodity to me, although admittedly, I haven't had a great deal of hands on with the VX-I as I typically buy VX & FX-III/3 and VX-6 scopes.

My understanding (maybe I'm wrong??) but the Redfield Revolution and VX-I are essentially the same scope?

How do these three scopes compare and stack-up against one another? Optically, mechanically, reliability, etc.?

Is there another riflescope under $250 (new) that I should consider?

Appreciate the feedback and assistance.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2013 at 13:14
I would also add this one..

http://swfa.com/Sightron-3-9x42-SII-Riflescope-P5620.aspx

IMO the Sightron is the equivelant of a VX2.. Vortex has one of the best waranties in the industry... Something to consider since these may be subject to a few accidental drops or such. Either way I believe the Sightron and Vortex are a step above the Redfield or VX1. If you want to stretch it by just a few bucks I would also look long and hard at the Bushnell Elite... There is nothing else close to $250 as good as the Elite.

Edited by biggreen747 - December/22/2013 at 13:24
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
lighting View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lighting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2013 at 08:02
The only thing I don't like about my Diamondback is the eye relief is a little small compared to the Redfield or Leupold.  I wouldn't want one for myself on a heavy recoil gun.  I have never handled the Sightron mentioned, but I wouldn't rule it out.
MBar308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBar308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2013 at 17:02
I believe the Leupold/Redfield are fairly similar scopes as you mentioned. And while they are decent for the money, I highly recommend the Vortex Diamondback. The Weaver 40/44 is also a very nice scope in that price range. I have both the Weaver(aspherical version) and Vortex. Both are very bright, but I think the Vortex out resolves the Weaver and the "rolling ball" is not as pronounced. The Diamondback also offers a longer area to mount the scope. The plex reticles are about the same thickness, and both have a nice wide field of view. I have found that the Vortex also has more crisp adjustments and you do not need a coin to make adjustments if that matters to you. Additionally, I have a Burris Fullfield II which also falls within your price range. I would rank it third behind the Vortex and Weaver. Lastly, while I have never had to use a warranty on anything other than a Nikon, I hear Vortex has a pretty awesome warranty policy.

Sorry for my rambling, I hope it helps some!
FOsteology View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOsteology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2013 at 10:55
Appreciate the feedback and recommendations gentlemen.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic