OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Cabelas XT vs XTII binos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cabelas XT vs XTII binos
    Posted: December/21/2013 at 10:40
4 years ago I received a pair of cabelas XT bino's for Xmas. Last year I dropped them out of a tree stand and bent the housing in front of the lens. They still worked fine but I decided to bring them into Cabelas and see if I could get them fixed. They told me they don't know where they would even send them so the sales guy walked over to the shelf grabbed the new version of the XT and sent me to customer service for an exchange. I was happy but a little worried because the XT model changed a bit. They were still made in Japan like my old ones so that gave me a little piece of mind.

From what I can tell so far the glass seems on par if not better with my old XT's the focus knob is no where near as smooth or nice and I'm not sure I like the rubber coating as much but I can live with it.

The guy told me if I didn't like them I could bring them back and they would give me credit toward an "upgrade". Cabelas also makes an XT II which has a split hinge and wide FOV. I'm wondering if anyone knows if the optical quality is the same or better then the XT? Regular price for the XT 2 is $100+ more then standard XT but due to sales it can be had for only $80 more.

Not sure how much experience people here have with cabelas products but any info would be appreciated.
Silverseeker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2013 at 14:29
Great question!

I have a friend who works at Cabelas--I have a pair of the XTs also--had the same question--optically they are the same as the XTIIs.

Same manufacture as Leupold--almost identical.

Real good glass for the price and excellent warranty.
BigGameBalls View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2013 at 15:15
Any idea which leupold model the XT would compare to? They also have their Alaskan series on sale for 249 right now which seems like a great buy. Is there a big step up in quality with the Alaskan?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2013 at 16:08
The XTII looks exactly like the leupold bx 3 Mojave. They also get the same reviews.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2013 at 21:20
I hear bad things about the Alaskan--this is why they teamed up with Meopta--
You are correct--the XTII are just about the same at the Mojave--I am pretty confident if you took each pair apart they are identical except for the cosmetics
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2013 at 21:29
Cool I think I will upgrade to the XT II. They are super cheap right now and the price difference is minimal.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2013 at 00:32
Anyone who has used these care to compare them to some of the more popular name brand binos? I think they are a good value but I wonder just how good the are. Until recently I didn't use my binos much while hunting but with some new areas I've been hunting I've found I'm using them more and more. I wonder how much I'd have to spend to "upgrade".

I should add that I've never spent any time in the field comparing different binoculars. I guess I don't even know what really good glass looks like in the field.

Edited by BigGameBalls - December/27/2013 at 00:37
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2013 at 07:32
Here are my thoughts:

I was on a quest to find the PERFECT bino--and have gone through about 5 different pairs-- and I am happy with my Vortex Vipers  HD I bought about a year ago--

Although I paid about $500 or so, they do everything I want --

With that said, my second pair are my XTs--and they ran about $180.

If I put the Vipers at an A, the XTs are a solid B+.

And my Vortex Diamondbacks were not far behind the XTs.

The optical difference is there--but not worth $400--There is the law of diminishing returns with optics--and the cutoff is about $300 or so.

If the XTs were originally $300+ and on sale, you are not going to get that much more at $500 and above.

Most importantly, make sure they fit your personal ergonomics--try them out--see if they 'fit' correctly. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2013 at 12:22
Silverseeker have you spent much time with real high end glass like Swaro, Meopta Moestar, Zeiss, etc......

I'm just trying to gauge your ranking system. Are the Viper HD's the best binos you've looked through or just the best binos you could justify spending your money on?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2013 at 13:18
My Zeiss Victory and Meopta's are very much better than a Viper HD.  Viper HD, is a good bino in its price range, but their are better bino's than it in and below its price range.  To say that above $500 you are not going to get much better than a Viper HD is not accurate.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2013 at 13:25
Supertool like I said above I have never looked through real high end glass so it's hard for me to wrap my brain around it when people say they are better. Are they better to the point that if I can see a deer at 400 yards with my 8x42 XT's and maybe I can tell it's a decent buck but cant make out details of the rack I'll be able to actually count points on that deer at 400 yards with a high end bino like the meostar?
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2013 at 13:39
YEP!

Big Grin
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2013 at 13:42
Not for certain, but maybe.  It would depend upon the conditions.  Better meaning they have less chromatic aberration.  They have brighter images, they see better in low light, they have higher resolution, typically better colors, etc.  You will typically suffer less eye strain with better glass.  If we are talking a $2000 bino vs a 200 bino they yes you will be able to see things you cannot see with the cheap ones in any light.  If you are talking a $1000 bino vs a $2000 it would be much more condition oriented.

The law of diminishing returns definitely comes into effect in optics.  The Meostar HDs are amazing in my opinion.  I could not see any diff between then and my victory's.   I can see a little diff between my victory's and my non HD meostars, but they are closer than one would think.  My Zeiss's have a RF built into them that is why I bought them.  But if I just wanted a good bino, I would never buy anything more expensive than the Meostar HD.  They are amazingly good for the price. 

It just depends upon your wants and needs.  The Viper HD is a good bino and may be all you would ever want.  When I hunt I sometimes glass for hours.  Cheaper bino's give me a headache.  When I got my Meostars I didn't have that issue any more.  Nor with my Zeiss bino's.  I glass through Viper HDs for an hour of so and I felt some eye strain.  So for me they are not really a consideration. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2013 at 15:54
When we get into the inevitable sort of a discussion we see developing here, I think it is important to consider some things.  First I have come to the conclusion that it can never be predicted how somebody's biological optical DNA is going to react to the mechanical optical DNA of the binocular (or spotter).  I think that what we see when we look through an optical instrument is, in many instances decided before we even look through it.  Some will disagree but I think that very often the chief determiner of how well we like something is decided by our preconceived notions.  Don't think this does not happen, I've seen it too many times.  Another thing that occurs as a sort of natural order of events is that we always want the best stuff we can afford.  Computers, cell phones, flat screen HD TV, you name it.  It happens with everything, optics included.  So we go looking for a new "better" binocular.  We look and we look.  We even go to places like this and ask questions, which is never a bad idea, although it can add some more layers to sort through Big Smile.  In simple matter of fact, there are not very many poor choices out there anymore.  Particularly after we get to $200 and proceed up to say $600.  There is no real reason to spend more than $600 today.  The only reason is our preconceived notion that we can do better if we go up to $1,000.  Even better still if we keep going and hit $2,000 and upward.

I have to add an edit here.  I have posted many times that I think too many people place far too much faith in too much magnification.  I think that is very often (not always but often) the cause of stress headaches after long stretches of glassing.  

It has been properly pointed out that we hit diminishing returns in relationship to increased cost vs increased performance.  That peak of value for the money happens (in my opinion anyway) at the $5-600 level.

I always get a kick out of reading statements about how some one of the Leizeinikowski offerings blows away some other of the same group.  Or for that matter blows away something else in the $5-600 range.  It frankly sounds like the poster is really trying to convince themselves they really did not just waste a bunch of money.  Or maybe it sounds like one of the sides in a messy divorce saying bad things about the other side to make themselves look better.  This is not said to make light of the alpha effect.  It is said to illustrate the simple fact of progression through optics that all too often happens.  At some point we reach the level where very simple, and very subtle differences assume out-sized importance to the viewer.  When we get there, we no longer have much objectivity left.  I hope I never get there frankly Big Smile.  We hear and read about all the new fangled bells and whistles out there HD glass (although it means nothing other than Hey Dude, buy me)  ED glass, dielectric prism coatings, improved aberration control, wide and flat fields of view, ...the list goes on and on.  We get to the point where we think if something has more of these bells and whistles than something else it just has to be better, and better is what we see.

I'm not saying they are not better, that differences don't exist, or that I can't see them.   But when I have to put the two specimens on a tripod and go nit picking through the list of image characteristics to sort out differences, then as far as I can tell, the differences don't amount to much.  They certainly do not amount to enough for me to dig out over $2,000 to possess the marvel.

One last edit.  I happen to think that the quality of optics can be significantly secondary to user satisfaction.  I think how the binocular fits our face and eyes and how well it balances are far more important.  If a binocular has the proper eye relief for the user, the eye cups fit right, there are no blackout or having to hold the binocular just so and if that lets us hold the binocular in a manner natural to the user, then the user is well on the way to satisfaction.

Personally If I was going after a better glass, and if I did not have a Leupold Gold Ring HD which suits me just fine thanks, I'd land on a Meostar HD, Zeiss Conquest HD, or a Razor HD, whichever I found first that I liked.  Or if if I happened to land on a Viper HD, i'd use it until it showed me I needed something different, which may or may not happen.

Now that everybody probably thinks I'm Loco

Happy New Year

Edited by Klamath - December/27/2013 at 16:24
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2013 at 18:24
Hi Klamath--you explained my thoughts perfectly.

And yes, I have looked through $2K that was no better than $600 glass. 

Biggameballs, get the binos you like best.  Spend time comparing--and remember warranty is important--if you are hard on things like me, there is a good chance you will drop, kick, bang, break, smash etc.

Most all, only YOU will use these-not me or any other poster.

Good luck--I hope you live close to a store where you can 'test drive' the XTs.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2013 at 20:39
I already own the XT's. I'm just debating on spending $1000+ on another pair. Either that or I'm going to upgrade my euro diamond 1.5 - 6x40 to a leupold vx 6 2-12x42 and move the euro diamond to my muzzle loader. I'm not a wealthy man or an optics snob so I'm looking for the best use of my money that will help with HUNTING.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2013 at 21:59
Get thr meopta meostar hd's. They are $2000 binos with a $1000 price tag.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2013 at 22:04
Originally posted by Silverseeker Silverseeker wrote:

Biggameballs, get the binos you like best.  Spend time comparing--and remember warranty is important--if you are hard on things like me, there is a good chance you will drop, kick, bang, break, smash etc.

What kind of looking through are we talking about here? Did u spend a considerable amount of time with them or just a few minute look through? Spend a hunting season with a pair of meoptas, victory's or leica hds and i bet your opinion would change. I have not seen a pair of under $600 binos that compare to my zeiss victories or even my meostars for that matter. Call me an optics snob, but i don't buy that theory.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2013 at 22:07
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Originally posted by Silverseeker Silverseeker wrote:

What kind of looking through are we talking about here? Did u spend a considerable amount of time with them or just a few minute look through? Spend a hunting season with a pair of meoptas, victory's or leica hds and i bet your opinion would change. I have not seen a pair of under $600 binos that compare to my zeiss victories leica hds or even my meostars for that matter. Call me an optics snob, but i don't buy that theory.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2013 at 14:05
I personally don't think you can tell a damn thing about binoculars by looking through them in a store. I believe you need to get them outside at distance in different lighting condition. Every binocular that's not complete junk will look pretty good in a store.

I guess that is why I ask questions here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic