OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulKreuger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope question
    Posted: June/07/2006 at 20:18

Hello all

I have a general question about the accuracy differences between “fixed power” and “variable power” rifle scopes? Are fixed power scopes more accurate than variable power?

Are some brands e.g. Zeiss, S&B with their German made optics of a highly quality more accurate, or does all this boil down to the shooter behind the scope? I am looking for a scope suitable for the 900 yard range.

Would be interested to hear some comments, thanks.

Edited by PaulKreuger
Anthony View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2006 at 23:09
    You can be pretty sure that any scope that isn't on the walmart shelf will not have any mechanical loss of accuracy. that would be from the shooter or possibly improperly tightened rear ring on a STD base. the only change in accuracy between a fixed power and a variable power would because of the shooters perception. I personaly prefer fixed power scopes because they are a little cheaper. All my variables either end up staying at a magnification around 10x forever, or end up staying at a magnification around 5x. but there is no actual difference in how accurate they are, theres a difference with how comfortable I am, and how I perform. 

For shooting at that range you will need something clear and parallax free. I personally would go for the Super Sniper in either 10x42mm or 16x42. The quality compares with scopes costing twice as much. If you arent concerned with money that much you should look at some leopold mark 4s, or IOR tactical.

hondo56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hondo56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2006 at 23:49

For that range of shooting you would need a 30mm tube in an 8 or 10 power scope. The 30mm gives you more MOA adjustment than a standard 1 inch tube.

Accuracy of a scope boils down to how well its internals are made and how well they hold up to recoil over a period of time.

German optics are known for outstanding glass and overall quality. American scopes such as Burris and Leupold have very good reputations for quality. I prefer the Burris for its ability to hold zero and its well above average glass, but I'm not shooting past 600 yards.

From what I've read on this forum and elsewhere, the Super Sniper 10 x 42 sold only at SWFA would be the choice if you want a fixed power for long range shooting.

P.S. Just make sure your rifle is as accurate as the scope!

Here's to ya, pilgrim.
Hondo56
PaulKreuger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulKreuger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2006 at 04:41

Thanks for the help guys, you have given me some further information and things to research.

Once I decide on a scope I will mounting it to a Rem700 in .308 or a Mauser K98

fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2006 at 05:47

It has been shown in test that some of the less than high end variable power scopes will have a slight change in zero while adjusting the power during shooting a group.

If you have one of these less than high end scopes...you can shoot a tighter group leaving the power alone verses trying to shoot a group and change the power in between shots for that group.

Can you see me now...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic