OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for 300 WSM - Want your opinion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blsnelling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for 300 WSM - Want your opinion
    Posted: June/07/2006 at 09:12

I just bought a Rem 700 LSS in 300 WSM.  I mounted an Elite 4200 4-16x40 on it.  I love the scope, except I wish it had a little more eye relief.  With my flip cap on it, the red push button "touches" my nose every shot.  It doesn't hit hard enough to hurt.  I removed it and no longer had a problem.  I'd like to leave the flip cap on the scope.  Of course in a hunting situation, a couple shots won't really matter whether it's on or off.  However, it's got me rethinking my scope choice.  Eye relief on this scope is fixed at 3.5".  The Burris Signature Select 3-10x40 and 4-16x44 both have a 3.5"-4" eye relief.  So at the long end, they're the same as the 4200 with no gain in eye relief.  I do like their Ballistic Plex reticle though.  A Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 has a fixed eye relief of 4".  I do get more eye relief with the Conquest but loose the long end of the scope.  With either the 3-10 or 3-9 I no longer have to worry about adjusting the Adjustable Object.  A plus in my books.  But I'm loosing Rain Guard if I move away from the 4200.  Am I OCDing about this or do you recommend a change?

Things to consider:

1.  Eye Relief

2.  Adjustable Objective or not

3.  Magnification

4.  Rain Guard

5.  Reticle type

blsnelling View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blsnelling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2006 at 10:19
I just found another option on the Sample List.  It's a Nikon 2.5-10x50 30mm Monarch Gold for $499.  The eye relief is 4"-4.1".  It has a side focus, which I like.  How's the glass in this one compare to the 4200?  I also found the Conquest 3-9x40 on the Sample List for $350.  It looks like it would have to be one of these two to really gain anything in eye relief.

Edited by blsnelling
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blsnelling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2006 at 14:34

Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16X40          ;        3.5"          AO     (Already own)

Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40                           4" 

Nikon 2.5-10x50 30mm Monarch Gold     4"-4.1"     SF

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2006 at 14:42
In my experience, Signature Select 3-10x40 had perceptibly more eye relief when I compared it side by side with Elite 4200 2.5-10x40.

Nikon is a good scope, but if you are willing to go with a 30mm tube you should also look at Burris Euro Diamond 3-10x40.

As for whether you need to change or not.  That is very personal.  I do not enjoy being hit by the scope, so I pay a lot of attention to eye releif.  However, if this is only a problem when shooting off the bench, than it probably makes no difference in a hunting situation.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2006 at 17:41

That 3-9 Zeiss Conquest has a fixed 4" eye relief.

It's a great scope and I can't recommend it enough times here on the OT and to various shooters.

If your using this rifle to hunt with, you may forego the 30mm tube. You don't need it, frankly.

Best wishes!!!

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blsnelling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2006 at 21:32
It's not the 30mm tube of the Monarch Gold that I care about.  It's only the 4"-4.1" eye relief.  That's more than any other scope I've looked at.  The Elite 4200 2.5-10x40 you mention has less eye relief than my 4200 4-16x40 in question.  The Euro Diamond 3-10x40 has an eye relief of 3.5"-4", the same as my 4200 on the long end.  That takes me back to the Nikon 2.5-10x50 Monarch Gold at 4"-4.1" or the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 at 4".  I haven't found anything elso under $600 with 4" of eye relief.  So far it looks like these are my only two choices, other than sticking with the 4200 I already have.  Is a 3x9 truely long enough to take advantage of the 300 WSM?  That's my only concern.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic