OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hello and question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wv-hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello and question
    Posted: June/06/2006 at 19:53

First off, a quick hello.  I just found the board a few days ago and it appears there is a lot of good information on here.

Now my question.  I'm getting ready to replace an old Tasco Mag IV 4-16, though it has never failed me, is good and clear and holds POI on my 270 I just feel it's time to upgrade the glass a bit (my eye's would like something a bit clearer, LOL).  I don't have a bunch of money to spend on a new scope and have narrowed it down to:

Leupold VX-1 4-12 x 40 or the Swift 4-12x40

This gun is mostly used for Whitetails with most shots under 100 yards though some fields that I hunt have 350 yard shots, but it is also used for ground hogs in the summer.

$250 is right at the top of my budget right now, so alot of the higher end glass just isn't an option.

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2006 at 22:07

Between the two I would get the Loopy.  You really don't need the extra mag for the ranges you are talking.  I would look at the Burris FFII in 3-9x40.

ranburr

huntnful View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntnful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2006 at 22:36

http://muelleroptics.com/products/MU31044IGR.html

Check out the rest of the scopes also

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2006 at 01:57
In your price range you can do quite a bit better than VX-I or Swift.  At the top of the list would be Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 for ~$200  That is plenty of magnification for your needs and better quality than the scopes you mentioned.

Ilya
wv-hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wv-hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2006 at 07:22
Thanks for the info.  I will look a bit more at the Burris Fullfield II, hopefully a store in my area will have them so I can look thru one.  I have looked thru and shot Leupold's and have a Swift on a pistol so am familiar with those scopes but have never really looked closely at any of the Burris scopes.  What about the Bushnell Elite 3200 series scopes.  Obviously I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck.  I thought about just going with a 3-9 (as several of you have suggested) but have gotten used to the higher magnification when shooting ground hogs, some of those shots will be between 450-500 yards.
cropslx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cropslx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2006 at 07:55

wv-hunter,

When I first read your post my first thought was a Burris FF II.  I guess there is a couple of others that had the same idea!  It is a GREAT scope for the money!  I have one on my muzzle loader.  It also has a great warranty to stand behind it.  Also, you might be able to get a free spotting scope or binoculars with the purchase from SWFA.  I think I saw these packages on there site.  Good luck and welcome!

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2006 at 10:30
Elite 3200 scopes are pretty good and better that VX-I and Swift, but not as good as the Fullfield II.  Another good scope with this price range is Sightron S2 3-9x42.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic